elllipsis

Tame Impala

These 2 tracks right here are my forever favourites. Canyons Sunrise Reprise is the song that sold me on Tame Impala. Such masterpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWqueQ8JO9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKG_jTXKUU8

~~~My body is stuck in the oceanΒ ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xUΒ My mind is lost in the universe***Β 

Just finished listening through the whole album - soooo good! One More Year is a pretty good opening track, Is It True was great and On Track speaks to me! I’m just sad the single version of Borderline isn’t on the album and not Patience either. :(

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Also, just realized, the last track is called One More Hour and the album is almost an hour long in playtime, it’s like the track’s name is telling you to start listening through it all again, haha.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I think this album overall has stronger songs than currents. I think that may be an unpopular opinion? imo Currents had 3 or 4 amaaaazing songs and the rest was just okay but sorta really fillers. This one seems more consistently good, but also doesn't have songs that truly stand out to me? But still, they aren't fillers and I'm not complaining.

Β 

I would argue to say this is his best? I am certainly taking it better than Currents to begin with (which I know is legendary but it took me a while to warm up to because I was so used to his older sound).

I just bought The Slow Rush, it’s my first Tame Impala album. :flutter: I asked the record store if they had Currents too (because they haven’t the previous times I checked) and they didn’t, but said I could order one if I’d like. I think I will once I have some more money. :)

I took some pics if you’re curious what the CD and booklet look like. https://twitter.com/clampigirl/status/1230220438783119360?s=21

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I just bought The Slow Rush, it’s my first Tame Impala album. :flutter: I asked the record store if they had Currents too (because they haven’t the previous times I checked) and they didn’t, but said I could order one if I’d like. I think I will once I have some more money. :)

I took some pics if you’re curious what the CD and booklet look like. https://twitter.com/clampigirl/status/1230220438783119360?s=21

Β 

Β 

Yay!! I still can't believe they wouldn't have currents. Every time I'm in a music store they have Currents, and always at the front.Β 

Yay!! I still can't believe they wouldn't have currents. Every time I'm in a music store they have Currents, and always at the front.

Β 

Me too, I’ve been checking the tab under his name for like a year and they never have his albums in store. :(

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

So, The Slow Rush...

Β 

I've been listening to it, paying attention to every detail, because I didn't like it at first listen. Actually I really disliked it, already saying it is their worst record.

Β 

Things haven't changed so much these past few days though. However, these are my positive thoughts first:

Β 

I like the fact that Kevin goes even deeper in the time topic - I always related to him because we're both obsessed with time passing and simply the concept of time (I'm also obsessed with it physics-wise). At first I was like "Okay, another album about time..." But then I payed attention to the lyrics and couldn't believe Kevin's mental progress. Some of these lyrics are so positive and beautiful I honestly cried. He always knows how to make me cry ("Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind?", "Alter Ego", to name a few) and the emotional highlights on this record are, undoubtedly, "Posthumous Forgiveness", "Tomorrow's Dust" and "On Track". The production on these songs are not only good, but also bring something new to the table - the congos, maracas and acoustic guitars in "Tomorrow's Dust", for instance. The bass throughout the whole thing is very good, pleasing and it actually saves some songs from being boring.

Β 

HoWeVeR, those are the only songs/moments I was actually impressed by. The moment I heard "Borderline" I knew this record was going to be... not so good. At least for me. For Currents fans, as I can see already, it's great, and they enjoy it, which is fine because Kevin worked a lot on this (as he always does). The melody in "Borderline" is so annoying I need to skip the track. And this isn't the only song I skip - there were so many songs that halfway through it I was like "I'm over this" ("Instant Destiny", "Breathe Deeper", "Is It True")... simply because they add nothing to either the album or his career. And let's not even talk about "Glimmer"...

Β 

There are times that, if I listen closely, literally every element of the songs are using the very same effect. There was one song, I can't remember which now, that at some point it sounded like a distorted tornado, and not in a good way, because every instrument was being whooshed, which comes off as lazy and not so creative.

Β 

Musically speaking, I believe there are higher highs on Currents (which I've never been a fan of) but this record holds its own for longer. I can't listen to Currents completely, and I'm sure the same applies to this album, though I can see myself coming back to some of these tracks. Also, the pop influence seems more natural this time around. Currents was like an awkward transition.

Tame Impala are reissuing Innerspeaker on vinyl in a special edition boxset for its 10th anniversary! Available now for pre-order, it's going to come out on March 26th, 2021.

Β 

https://shoptameimpala.com/products/innerspeaker-10th-anniversary-4lp-box-set

I finally got my 'Innerspeaker' anniversary box set and it's really pretty.Β :smile4:

Β 

Spoiler

P82FnXF.jpeg

Β 

Spoiler

F9Vwu5n.jpeg

Β 

Β 

Ngl, it has me wishing Lana would put more effort into her box sets.Β :pft:

I would never get tired of Borderline which is for me one of the best bops of the 2010s. Since 2019, I always listen to it on loop per session, as soon as I come across it, I can't stop. Right now it's back, that's why I thought of coming here to say how much I love this song. This title is incredible, it would have deserved legendary success and a clip that would have become cult. I can't sit still when I hear it and I can't believe the world has missed it. This band is absolutely perfect. Music, that's how hits should be these days: long, well-produced with an unstoppable, timeless chorus. Good pop. No repetitive songs cast in streaming with a duration of 2.10 minutes. What talent, you really have to be apart to have such production talent and know how to make such songs.Β :crai:

I love Borderline, but only the single version! I never really liked the album version, the mix is different and I just never got used to it after streaming the single for so much before the album release. >___<

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

1 minute ago, Clampigirl said:

I love Borderline, but only the single version! I never really liked the album version, the mix is different and I just never got used to it after streaming the single for so much before the album release. >___<

Oh yes it's the same! Like you, the first version is the one I listen to all the time, the other I skip. Big stupidity to have removed it from the album.