teethclick

Book Thread!

naked lunch - burroughs

queen is it any good? i bought it a few months ago but i couldn't get myself to read it. can you tell me a bit about the general plot?

queen is it any good? i bought it a few months ago but i couldn't get myself to read it. can you tell me a bit about the general plot?

that's a good question tbh

i'm still in the beginning and it's been a bit since i picked it up but i can assume that it's like most other beat literature in the sense that there's no linear plot it's more of a telling of a part of life

so the main character is burroughs' alter ego (like a lot of beat lit does) and it kind of so far just follows his life around while he writes about his thoughts. the way i process beat lit is to think about as though you were reading a diary because it is so close to one. it feels like you haven't seen a friend in a really long time and you meet up for coffee and they relay their stories to you. if that helps!

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

that's a good question tbh

i'm still in the beginning and it's been a bit since i picked it up but i can assume that it's like most other beat literature in the sense that there's no linear plot it's more of a telling of a part of life

so the main character is burroughs' alter ego (like a lot of beat lit does) and it kind of so far just follows his life around while he writes about his thoughts. the way i process beat lit is to think about as though you were reading a diary because it is so close to one. it feels like you haven't seen a friend in a really long time and you meet up for coffee and they relay their stories to you. if that helps!

that's actually really interesting! it's my first attempt at beat lit and your explanation is v interesting 

it sounds weird but are there any references to the fact that he's gay? 

that's actually really interesting! it's my first attempt at beat lit and your explanation is v interesting 

it sounds weird but are there any references to the fact that he's gay? 

hmm not sure but it does discuss his thoughts on things so it's likely to be hinted at plus at the time (50s at least) things that were controversial just happened to be discussed you know? pedophilia and death do come up though as they came up in his actual life so be wary of that

and yeah! if you think of it that way i think it helps because sometimes beat lit can be nontraditionally written (run on sentences misspellings etc) so it helps to think in those terms. i personally love kerouac and have read a few of his so if you want recommendations hit me up! howl by ginsberg is also good intro to beat lit

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

Why all pics are gone?

I am very very proud of my book collection

Especially art books which are combined worth more than 15.000 €!

I have so many books and cds that I can open my own little bookstore/music store

Many pics are gone because plenty of hosting sites like Photobucket changed their rules (i.e. no more free hosting) or shut down, so sadly a ton of imagery was lost :(

That's so great how you have that many books! I have so many myself, sort of all over the place though  :$

On 9/5/2012 at 11:50 AM, Roses said:

"Le Rouge et le Noir" by Stendhal...but I haven't finished yet.

Hello Lanaboards I’m bringing this thread back to life :magikarp:

I finally finished le Rouge et le Noir yesterday and omg it took me 19 days to read my first book of 2022 :toofunny: won’t reach 50 books this year at this pace. I didn’t even like it that much :crossed: 

Anyway I am now reading australian book Tim by Colleen McCullough a successful 40-something years old woman who finds love for the first time with her simple-minded gardener (sounds like desperate housewives to me). I find it pretty interesting so far as this such an unlikely pair … ??? It does spark my curiosity

Have you ever read australian literature ? It is not talked much about. And what are you reading at the moment ? 

11 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

apparently no one reads books here :agree:

i do... :pft:

i'm currently reading "dark angel" by v.c andrews! v.c andrews' books are very morbid & honestly fucking bonkers & i love them shamelessly :true: 

some of lana's songs, like off to the races & lolita, really remind me of her books & the characters

WGe8ynS.gif

the uni library closest to me has a copy of the wicker man so guess what i'm reading (and going to be rewatching)! honestly the best parts of it are the sheer stupidity on sgt howie's part and the fact that the authors are horny for EVERY damn character. still, lord summerisle himself is horniest and he also canonically wears "american-style sneakers" which i'm assuming are converse and a balaclava to jog in......but he's also into birdwatching

BopAxLE.png

sumer is icumen in, lhude sing cuccu

groweþ sed and bloweþ med and springþ þ wde nu

sing cuccu!

27 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

apparently no one reads books here :agree:

i used to read and then i kinda just stopped around late junior high / early high school :bebe:

and since then every time i've tried to pick up a book i've been physically unable to concentrate on reading it

Spoiler

i think i might have undiagnosed adhd (yes i know it's a childhood thing but it can manifest differently in adulthood hence why it's undiagnosed because it probably got overlooked or misdiagnosed as something else

edit: i will say the last book i read was house of leaves by mark z. danielewski i HIGHLY recommend it

warning though it's a difficult book to read both in subject matter and literally because the formatting is deliberately complicated

it's definitely a book you re-read to get a fuller perspective of

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

12 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

I''ve recently reread ''In the Shadow of the Altars'' by Vincas Mykolaitis-Putinas. I must say, this is probably the longest book i've ever encountered, 944 pages long.

Oh you sweet summer child

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

2 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

The Song of Achilles

One of my favorite books from last year. It‘s simply amazing. I‘m still not over it and hope they will make a movie or series out of it :wipe: