FirstSpider

Skylar Grey (Holly Brook)

skylar-grey_zps39648f1e.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVeqYzgahUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVVrT_wNw_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToOFtvvFGGo

I was kind of stunned that this artist didn't have a thread already, so I took matters into my own hands. I don't know all that much about her so hopefully this isn't an atrocity.

I discovered her a really long time ago, not really sure how, but she's phenomenal. Her music has even been described as "Bubble Gum Lana Del Rey". She released her first album, Like Blood Like Honey in 2006 under the name Holly Brook. It didn't seem to garner much attention, though it's still on iTunes. She's written quite a few hit songs since then, never for herself though. Eminem's Love The Way You Lie was penned by her. She recorded a really great EP called O'Dark:Thirty in 2010. Later that year she changed her name to Skylar Grey. She got connected with Eminem somehow and Even though her music is more on the folk side of things, the two have worked together several times (I'm not really a fan of this work). Her first Studio album under the new name was originally titled Invinsible but it ended up being called Don't Look Down. It's a really solid album, save for a few tracks. I'd definitely recommend buying it. It's very multifaceted though generally on the sadder side with folk vocals and almost hip hop beats. The lyrics are nothing short of incredible and very daring at times, She even throws in an occasional Unabomber reference. Her unreleased track with Marilyn Manson is also quite interesting. She's definitely worth checking out. 

tumblr_n9btm6Avtv1t1hgrko1_500_zpsb7c148

finally! I love her, but her album is just ok, I waited so long and I expected something along the lines of invisible, not 90's alanis stuff :tsk:

89550-F07-DF2-F-4739-9-AB0-552-DF4549773.jpg

@@Jack I thought it was a pretty good album. A few of the tracks are borderline, but I love most of it. I think there are quite a few tracks that got shelved when she changed the album's name if I'm not mistaken. Those would probably have been more along the lines of Invisible.

tumblr_n9btm6Avtv1t1hgrko1_500_zpsb7c148

yeah, I really like

Back from the dead

wear me out

religion

clear blue sky

cmon let me ride :ha:

tower

white suburban

s**t man

and final warning is ehhh

the rest i dont listen to

@@Jack I HATED C'mon Let Me Ride

its kinda more pop, but I like how sarcastic it is, and honestly the only chance she has left for any radio play is back from the dead tbh

I. LOVE. Skylar Grey.

I saw her live on the 14th. She was absolutely AMAZING! I got to meet her after and got her autograph and a picture with her. :D

I love Don't Look Down, it's my album of the year so far. I hope to hear more from her!

chmLj9Q.png

I was kind of stunned that this artist didn't have a thread already, so I took matters into my own hands.

iamlikesoinfatuatedwithyourightmeowwanditisridiculousbecauselikeletsjustrunofftosantamonica

I FUCKING KNEW I FORGOT AN ARTIST I WANTED TO MAKE A TOPIC FOR. :suicide:

I fucking love Holly Brook/Skylar Grey. I loved most of Like Blood, Like Honey, and I loved all of the O'Dark:Thirty EP, especially "Haunted," "Falling Out of View" and "Ordinary Tunes"

I haven't listened to that much of her newer stuff, and "C'Mon Let Me Ride" petrified me because I was like, "DAFUQ YOU DOING, SKYLAR?" I was really afraid of the direction she was going with her music. But I definitely love "Wear Me Out," very reflective of her older work in sound. Many of her lyrics are very simplistic and forward, but beautifully written, much like the Queen of Coney Island. :legend: