lola

Taylor Swift

I think the Bejewled video wasn’t necessarily planned for the first week, and it was suppose to come later in the era to hint at the next one (Speak Now TV). She probably didn’t announce the 2nd video initially to purposefully push the song that needed the biggest boost in streams (which worked and now Bejeweled is safely in the top 10 so far). Truly a mastermind. 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

8 hours ago, Mer said:

I think the Bejewled video wasn’t necessarily planned for the first week, and it was suppose to come later in the era to hint at the next one (Speak Now TV). She probably didn’t announce the 2nd video initially to purposefully push the song that needed the biggest boost in streams (which worked and now Bejeweled is safely in the top 10 so far). Truly a mastermind. 

the video came out on speak now's anniversary tho which seems very intentional 

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

omg finally after listening to this beautiful album the whole week a can safely make a top5, idk i just really like doing tops so

1. Would've, Could've, Should've 

2. The Great War

3. Maroon

4. Glitch

5. Bejeweled

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

The fatphobia thing is three people on twitter complaining as usual and the media runs with it. She has talked about it for years at this point and as someone who has BD too I related with the scene and didn't think much of it after it 

Also now that the album has settled in (sorry for that angry rant I posted earlier) I think it coud've been more experimental (imagine someone like Flume working with her) and would have been a home run for me, but I guess the direction she was going for was "lo-fi but make it pop". 

And god does Would've, Could've, Should've hits hard :defeated:

Here's my tracklist to make it better :fabcat:

Lavender Haze

Maroon

Anti-Hero

Snow on The Beach ft. God

Bejeweled

Labyrinth

Sweet Nothing

Bigger Than the Whole Sky

Would've, Could've, Should've

1 hour ago, TRENCH said:

I think it coud've been more experimental (imagine someone like Flume working with her) and would have been a home run for me, but I guess the direction she was going for was "lo-fi but make it pop".

FLUME!? that's so extreme for her in my opinion. i would love to hear some more ideas from you though. i think Flume is little too electronic.

After a couple days of the release. I want to do my review somewhere so i decided to do it here on lanaboards!

Idk if im going to do an extensive thing that no ones wants to see. (so im putting as a spoiler content for the thread);

Spoiler

At first, Midnights feels very basic in terms of instrumentals, because most of them carry a familiarity with all her discography since Red, so when you hear the electric guitars in'' snow on the beach'', you can remember the same riff from ''mirrorball'' or when u hear the Jack's signature synths you can travel back to many Lover's and Reputation's tracks.There are many songs that could be labeled as the ''new archer'' or the ''new false god'', you can listen to ''high infedility" and "the great war" and think how the would fit in a third brother for folklore and evermore, and even listen to the ''lavender haze'' nightly sophisticated beat and remember of ''style'' or the joyfullness of ''bejeweled'' and get back to 1989.Lyrically speaking, the theme it's a overview of many importants moments that had already been adressed by her in different records, which only expands the details of the story. So what is the deal with the  album? 

Midnights it's all the parts of the road that we haven't seen closely, just like trying to read signs in high velocity on a highway. Also, midnights is a ghost from the past that had always been there, but she tried so much to just ignore it in her narratives. And this brings us to the main point, the album shows the listener how our memories from things that aren't happening anymore with us, shapes every memory and every emotion that we feel, we don't forget about traumas, we just learn how to face them everyday when we wake up. This narrative ,even though it's beautiful, its also harsh and pretty sad, this album imo is maybe the saddest of her carreer because it's just not simply  ballads of piano with raw lyrics directly telling you where is the problem, most of the times you can't even notice where it is the problem. Many tracks can described as ''soft'' and ''calm'' but the moment that you start to pay attention to the lyrics they fit way more better in ''melancholia''.

But why this is sadder than something that could be explicitly sad? Well, for me, it's just like that friend that is going through a lot but it tries his best to never shows it, but sometimes spills very sudden comments and thoughts that make you doubt if everything is fine with them. ''Anti-Hero'' is the first single that we got and if you just listen casually it feels just  like cute funny song about self deprecation but the layers of this brings us to a more devastating feeling because all the atmosphere of the song seems like consent of this ruination of itself and that's why it feels hard to ''root for the anti-hero'', it's exactly like when you make a joke about yourself then everyone laughs even you but seconds later you just notice how this harms you and how sad it feels to feel like the thing you said, the synths and the musicbox melody after the chorus brings this approach of an cinematic fairy tale allegory of something darker that it seems. Another song that coud been mentioned to describe is ''labirynth'", which the ambient synth gets you to some kind foggy headspace, her reverbered voice in almost the entire song can feel like just a soft lullaby but it's just another sudden way to adress a trauma that she has with love and how it feels kinda forbidden for her to be in love again, because of many times that she been hurt by it. This suprise factor in the listening of the record brings much more sadness because it opens like a very modern pop track like ''Lavender Haze" about being in love and then you're listening to taylor's deep thoughts about traumas, and these breaks of expectations sometimes happens in the middle. It's much more devastating to realize that something that could be happy is indeed miserable, it's like trying to smile but no being able to accomplish because of the sadness that weights your cheeks and the fact that you can't even hide that makes you even more sad about the whole situation.

It's very consistent along the record how every big issue with her mind it's told in a very sudden way, that seems like someone that aren't ready to scream out loud everything that she fears. It's hard to live in a world that everyone is saying that you need to ''move on'' but you just can't, you can't run away from your story just like ''karma gonna track you down step by step, from town to town". It's hard to accept that people that you don't have any relationship anymore will still be on your mind and sometimes will still feel hurt by how they treated you. This things make who we are today. So that's why we can see many different characters of her lifetime starring in Midnights, they never walked away from her mind, because since they came in, they turned into part of her story and her nightmares, that sometimes can make her stayed up all night.

In the other hand, as i said at the beggining the narrative IS beautiful, and what we also have for the records balance is a lot of love letters to herself that were handmade by all the nights she woked up with heart aching wishing that it was different. She tells in ''you're on your own, kid" how in the end, it's just us and that's a very important thing to acknowledge because even thought it seems haunting ,its also liberating. She remembers herself that she can shine even if your partner thinks he can take it for granted in ''bejeweled'' and she knows that "Karma" will always do its work, so there's nothing to worry about, and she already met someone to make her stay in that ''lavender haze''.

The album is every battle that she win and lost, how she paved her way to be a better and stronger version of herself today, and to tell that remembering it's sometimes the most human thing that we do.

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

2 minutes ago, letterblue said:

this would actually be a nightmare…….Phoebe is unbearable. i can’t stand her or her songwriting. the Z-list tiktok stars and then we have MUNA….i’m about to have a mental break

GET EM :lmao:(but honestly, this IS the millennial (gay male), swiftie audience, I have seen someone who loves taylor and muna),  I like some of beabadobee's songs but, tiktok does describe these alleged supporting acts :hillary:

Just now, SoftwareUpgrade said:

GET EM :lmao:(but honestly, this IS the millennial (gay male), swiftie audience, I have seen someone who loves taylor and muna),  I like some of beabadobee's songs but, tiktok does describe these alleged supporting acts :hillary:

:hooker:

i told no lies! i like some of beabadoobee’s stuff as well but it’s just….Taylor…WHY!? this is worse than Camila with reputation tour. i will say MUNA was decent before this last album though.

i know she can do better than this. hell she could get BLEACHERS or HAIM!? that would be amazing but these nobodies? girl….i can’t think about this too much! :biblio::smh:

1 minute ago, letterblue said:

:hooker:

i told no lies! i like some of beabadoobee’s stuff as well but it’s just….Taylor…WHY!? this is worse than Camila with reputation tour. i will say MUNA was decent before this last album though.

i know she can do better than this. hell she could get BLEACHERS or HAIM!? that would be amazing but these nobodies? girl….i can’t think about this too much! :biblio::smh:

I do like that it gives these new "artists" a chance to meet with a new audience though :true:, HAIM would've been a good choice though (I don't listen to them but the one who plays the drums would make a lively opening....unlike softgirl crooning :karaoke:)

aside from beabadoobee (see spoiler) i agree that these opening acts don't really belong on the opening for taylor swift stage since they're either already well known or don't really vibe with taylor's music at all

Spoiler

on the other hand i'm very happy for bea that she might be opening for taylor since her music slaps and she's definitely a niche artist - wasn't a fan of her new album but everything before it is excellent and it could be a blip so i'm still happy for her (if it's to be believed of course)

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

3 minutes ago, the ocean said:

aside from beabadoobee (see spoiler) i agree that these opening acts don't really belong on the opening for taylor swift stage since they're either already well known or don't really vibe with taylor's music at all

Hide contents

on the other hand i'm very happy for bea that she might be opening for taylor since her music slaps and she's definitely a niche artist - wasn't a fan of her new album but everything before it is excellent and it could be a blip so i'm still happy for her (if it's to be believed of course)

omg you’re real

Spoiler

i didn’t like her new album either :poordat:

On 10/25/2022 at 10:41 AM, TrashMagiq said:

hold on why were the 6 and 12 on the elevator buttons white… is something happening the 6th of december or smthn

maybe 6*2=12 as in 2 albums are coming in december as in Speak Now TV and 1989 TV :oprah3:

the way I just realized em numbers were probably white cause otherwise you literally wouldn’t be able to see them cause those 2 buttons had dark colors  :xgiggle:

qfrWuBl.png

3 hours ago, the ocean said:

Hide contents

they seem to vibe really good, because I get them as recommendations on Spotify for Taylor's music (song radio etc.)