Sign in to follow this  
Alicia

Full Radio.com Interview: Lana Del Rey on the Leaks, the Imitators & the Haters

i don't agree with anything u just said...

gaga + monsters had a nervous breakdown over 1 song leaking, 2-3 of lana's songs off of an album that hasn't even been announced yet have leaked and there was a little drama on lb but it wasn't a big thing and even lana didn't react badly

and ur opinion on aka and sirens is just................. :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:

which is totally ok for me since I said that is my personal opinion and how I feel about.

I like AKA, but I just expect something more modern and sophisticated from her now.

Never cared for Sirens. It's just not my thing, sonically.

gaga + monsters had a nervous breakdown over 1 song leaking, 2-3 of lana's songs off of an album that hasn't even been announced yet have leaked and there was a little drama on lb but it wasn't a big thing and even lana didn't react badly

Hey lola let's play a game where we don't bring up Lady Gaga when we don't have to :creep2:

Steven Mertens used to play back up w/ her, I guess at various gigs. He used to w/ Regina Spektor, too

http://web.archive.org/web/20120105104348/http://www.myspace.com/4026640

Connect with those roots Lanz! :angie:

But no seriously Sirens was 8 years ago and AKA wasn't...like I think she may have just actually referenced it. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng :defeated:

i don't understand why they're not doing anything about all the black beauty uploads on youtube? 

for instance, i've uploaded videos for songs like hollywood, catch and release, you're gonna love me (which is old as fuck), etc and they've all gotten taken down 2-3 times within the past month whereas black beauty has remained on my channel (and others) untouched 

ZRBNill.jpg

Not here for the sound of AKA or even worse, Sirens. She definately needs songs like OTTR or DMD on her new record. Otherwise it will be pretty tiresome to get through an album of too many slow paced tracks. 

But that's all just my personal opinion  ;)

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think she will go back to this *lolita lost in the hood* sound again. I love Lana gangster too, but her sound is getting more and more darker. I think in this point of her career she is more focused on getting critical acceptance than views on YT, it seems really important to her to be accept rather than get notoriety of big crowds. 

Just some quick reactions:

"Like Dan [Daniel Heath, who co-wrote “Blue Jeans”], who’s not into pop music but rather, a composer for scores and studied under Hans Zimmer."

I'm thinking Dan Heath co-wrote Bel Air and this is interviewer error.

"Are you going to move forward with work on them, or do you feel too discouraged because of the leaks?

Lana: I do feel discouraged, yeah. I don’t really know what to put on the record. But I guess I could just put them on and see what happens. Each time I write… I’ll never write a song if I don’t think it’s going to be perfect for the record."

She should do exactly that and see what happens, so I would think no impact of record production. The idea of writing a song and releasing it only if it's perfect for the record seems a bit, well ... anal. The people she admires most as pop composers probably don't adhere to that standard. And to say she doesn't know what to put on the record? Let me suggest the 3 independent realizations of Every Man Gets His Wish, for starters. She has more choice than most pop artists. I also like the idea of an artist that doesn't quite know what to put on a record and ends up giving you like 70 mins of music (e.g., Tori Amos). There is no shame in that, LOL, although I bet the record execs hate it.

"Steven Mertens, who made my first record [editor’s note: David Kahne is credited as the producer of her debut, 2010’s Lana Del Ray a.k.a. Lizzy Grant; Mertens is a member of the Brooklyn band Spacecamp]."

This has got to be SIRENS, right? I wouldn't mind a 2nd Sirens-esque album! Or even a Sirens release. She could do it as May Jailer (why not, novelists often go by different names in different genres). It's the digital age damn it! It's supposed to be easy to release things. What's up with the inhibition to release non-standard non-current work. It's as if music industry pundits (and fans) dislike an artist who happens to be excellent at different styles.

"I’m not as interested in flip-floppers."

Yes, but ones reaction to music is often like that. Jealous Girl, Never Let Me Go, Back to the Basics, Scarface are songs I initially didn't like much and now think are masterpieces. It's not quite clear what kind of flip-floppingness she's referring to if not musical taste, but changing musical taste is hard and is usually met with aversion and polarization (so she should feel better about her reception).

Finally, @'s comment about the Youtube behavior of certain leaks being different is very interesting. I've often thought there are reasons behind the varying behaviors of different leaks. I don't think Black Beauty's staying there should mean it won't be on the album, because Video Games, which would be as pre-exposed as BB ended up on Born to Die.

This interview makes me sad... she should just go on hiatus or something for a while and enjoy herself before she comes back to music. There's nothing more upsetting than an artist forced to make music. 

14417469274.gif

This interview makes me sad... she should just go on hiatus or something for a while and enjoy herself before she comes back to music. There's nothing more upsetting than an artist forced to make music. 

I wouldn't feel to bad about it.  From the interview above:

"I love to write, I love to record in the studio – that’s what I love."

-Lana Del Rey

I wouldn't feel to bad about it.  From the interview above:

"I love to write, I love to record in the studio – that’s what I love."

-Lana Del Rey

Yeah but the touring and the invasion of privacy, etc. isn't something she wants. 

14417469274.gif

i agree with you, if she really doesnt want to do it then she shouldnt. I hate hearing about her being upset it makes me so sad

ER1eLiL.jpg?1

Perhaps you should try not to invalidate her feelings by attributing them to PMS and hormones? :creep:

It was a bad joke, written under the influence of alcohol,sorry. Lana doesn't owe us anything. But she has made my life a little happier, hate to see her stop.

"Like Dan [Daniel Heath, who co-wrote “Blue Jeans”], who’s not into pop music but rather, a composer for scores and studied under Hans Zimmer."

I'm thinking Dan Heath co-wrote Bel Air and this is interviewer error.

Apparently it really was Blue Jeans.

The idea of writing a song and releasing it only if it's perfect for the record seems a bit, well ... anal.

This is obviously going into personal opinion territory, but I always thought that was the case with most artists (musicians or not) tbh; you know, the age old cliché of the artist who doesn't let others see their work until it's 100% finished and they're completely satisfied with it?

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Considering this young female audience you have, do you feel any pressure to be a role model?

Lana: Well I think the good thing is, I do actually aim to live my life with grace and dignity, if anyone felt like emulating it. I know I look a certain way sometimes, or cast a certain vibe. But I really don’t like to be in trouble. I like to live a good life, it is important to me.

:flutter:

------------------------------------------------------------

Leaks or not - my godness, I can't hear that bullshit anymore - I am going to buy the record, no matter what!  

I am not from America, but I do hope for all American fans there will be a tour!

But no seriously Sirens was 8 years ago and AKA wasn't...like I think she may have just actually referenced it. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng :defeated:

"Steven Mertens, who made my first record [editor’s note: David Kahne is credited as the producer of her debut, 2010’s Lana Del Ray a.k.a. Lizzy Grant; Mertens is a member of the Brooklyn band Spacecamp]."

This has got to be SIRENS, right? 

I thought so too!  :party:

"I’m not as interested in flip-floppers."

Yes, but ones reaction to music is often like that. Jealous Girl, Never Let Me Go, Back to the Basics, Scarface are songs I initially didn't like much and now think are masterpieces. It's not quite clear what kind of flip-floppingness she's referring to if not musical taste, but changing musical taste is hard and is usually met with aversion and polarization (so she should feel better about her reception).

I strongly suspect this comment is related to the "So Legit" leak. Flip-flopping away from her is bound to get a stronger reaction than flip-flopping in her favor. The context may sound more like the latter, but the interview is edited after all... or maybe the SL fallout has been on her mind enough that any "flip-flopping" triggers a "WTF" reaction. Think about it -- "Oh by the way, So Legit leaked and people hate you now... This just in, the Summertime Sadness remix is climbing the charts and people love you more than ever now..." Trying to imagine being in that position, I think even if I knew it was just happenstance, I'd feel jerked around too. But yeah, "I love all my flip-flop fans," or better yet, silence on the issue, would make for better PR.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Lana really does sound like she needs a break from it all. From the touring, which she sound relieved of, to constantly being in artist work mode. She just needs some time to break & live life. Rest up. Allow herself to figure things out. Let the inspiration for music to come. & Allow that internal well fill up. Because she did say ''I don’t have anyone writing anything for me. It’s such an internal well and if it’s not full, it’s just not full.'' & Overal with this interview, she doesnt seem as irritated as she was with Electronic beats magazine one