ednafrau

Backfire

I love this song, it is so heartfelt and raw. She has been waiting and waiting on this guy's love for way too long, she knows he is danger and that the relationship is doomed but yet she still goes into it, she can't resist the temptation. 

TZk1z.png

14 hours ago, Petals For Armor said:

My man’s crazy and his mind isn't right

he wanna commit suicide by jumping off a building or sumn, he's a jumper

ohhh okay thanks !

giphy-downsized.gif

if i wasn’t so fucked up, i think i’d fuck you all the time 

wow this song is way darker than I thought... I instinctively thought JUMPER meant a car?! like a small fast car.... we got a jumper and go downtown all the time? Im probably still gonna imagine that 

Can we talk about the bridge to this song real quick? Is it a complete drug reference? I was listening to this and realized maybe it’s more than whats on the surface? It could also be an absolute reach, but now that we’ve had Greenwich for a while, “are you still in Greenwich dropping acid?” I have to know if anyone else has thought this or not, am I just thinking too hard about it? I could be, but still, it’s an interesting perspective considering this guy is losing his mind and suicidal

”We’re always takin’ trips downtown” - acid in Greenwich Village

”Officer Brown’s always comin’ around” heroin being easily passed around, or easily obtainable. People give drugs a personified name all the time. Lucy for acid, Mary Jane for weed, etc etc

“tappin on our windows” (flicking or tapping veins to shoot up) 

“but we know we’re not gonna change”

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

14 minutes ago, HydroponicWeeds said:

Can we talk about the bridge to this song real quick? Is it a complete drug reference? I was listening to this and realized maybe it’s more than whats on the surface? It could also be an absolute reach, but now that we’ve had Greenwich for a while, “are you still in Greenwich dropping acid?” I have to know if anyone else has thought this or not, am I just thinking too hard about it? I could be, but still, it’s an interesting perspective considering this guy is losing his mind and suicidal

”We’re always takin’ trips downtown” - acid in Greenwich Village

”Officer Brown’s always comin’ around” heroin being easily passed around, or easily obtainable. People give drugs a personified name all the time. Lucy for acid, Mary Jane for weed, etc etc

“tappin on our windows” (flicking or tapping veins to shoot up) 

“but we know we’re not gonna change”

Never could I ever had come up with this, but I really think that is what it is. Beautiful observation!

I always thought the bridge was a little bit cringe, but this totally changes it

What’s this devotion? You really seem like a good man
Bodies or oceans, I cling to you like your mainland

3 minutes ago, Miss Doing Nothing said:

Never could I ever had come up with this, but I really think that is what it is. Beautiful observation!

I always thought the bridge was a little bit cringe, but this totally changes it

And actually, the lyric “tapping on our windows” being about shooting up and flicking/tapping veins kind of makes sense. Think about it, windows are on the outside of a house, our skin is the boarder from the outside of us to the inside, physically. I know that sounds stupid and I can’t find a better way to put it, but it makes sense to me omg.

I’ve always liked the bridge, I just never understood it and thinking about it tonight made it make sense for me at least lol I’m glad you enjoy that perspective, too

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

36 minutes ago, HydroponicWeeds said:

And actually, the lyric “tapping on our windows” being about shooting up and flicking/tapping veins kind of makes sense. Think about it, windows are on the outside of a house, our skin is the boarder from the outside of us to the inside, physically. I know that sounds stupid and I can’t find a better way to put it, but it makes sense to me omg.

I’ve always liked the bridge, I just never understood it and thinking about it tonight made it make sense for me at least lol I’m glad you enjoy that perspective, too

Yes! I get what you mean. Also “keep hustlin’ every night and day.” She/they are always trying to make money to get the desire 

8 minutes ago, 99centlips said:

y’all could be right but i thought the “officer brown tapping on our windows, kids come out” was about police catching teenagers in cars late at night, lovers lane type of thing. 

It could be! And it could have double meanings to it. I would’ve fully agreed with you but then I thought about the lyrics in Greenwich which only shares similarities in the sense of the location of NY that I imagine this song would have. It sounds very NY to me, at least thats what I associate it with. I just thought it was possibly drug references due to how she’s talking about him being suicidal and his “mind isn’t right” and how drugs are “mind altering” especially acid or heroin and how she’s so “willing to drown” with him.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, HydroponicWeeds said:

It could be! And it could have double meanings to it. I would’ve fully agreed with you but then I thought about the lyrics in Greenwich which only shares similarities in the sense of the location of NY that I imagine this song would have. It sounds very NY to me, at least thats what I associate it with. I just thought it was possibly drug references due to how she’s talking about him being suicidal and his “mind isn’t right” and how drugs are “mind altering” especially acid or heroin and how she’s so “willing to drown” with him.

okay now that i’m listening to it, i think you may be right. 

“we’ve done it a million times” 

“i will follow for a little piece of heaven, ready to drown” 

damn this song is dark as hell. 

3 minutes ago, 99centlips said:

okay now that i’m listening to it, i think you may be right. 

“we’ve done it a million times” 

“i will follow for a little piece of heaven, ready to drown” 

damn this song is dark as hell. 

That was what pointed it out to me, was when I was listening to it and thinking about the lyrics, I was thinking, “woah, wtf...?” I’ve never thought of it being so dark, until I realized what she’s talking about and it’s kind of fucked. It reminds me of a somehow even darker version of Dark Paradise yknow what I mean? 

giphy.gif

I listened to Backfire again today with having in mind it being about Heroin. Now I finally understand that backfire means she or he gets the undesired effect when the drug works out. They/she know(s) it will bring them/her what they/she looked for, but it won’t last.

Thank you @HydroponicWeeds for your thoughts. It was the first unreleased song I listened to of hers. This song having this double storyline is just beautiful! 

1 hour ago, Miss Doing Nothing said:

I listened to Backfire again today with having in mind it being about Heroin. Now I finally understand that backfire means she or he gets the undesired effect when the drug works out. They/she know(s) it will bring them/her what they/she looked for, but it won’t last.

Thank you @HydroponicWeeds for your thoughts. It was the first unreleased song I listened to of hers. This song having this double storyline is just beautiful! 

Exactly!! But i can also see why it wasn’t ever released, the lyrical content maybe super personal to her or just a little too far when it comes to releases

giphy.gif

I'm glad this discussion has been bumped bc Backfire is one of her best unreleased songs. Top 5 for sure x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

2 hours ago, Elle said:

I'm glad this discussion has been bumped bc Backfire is one of her best unreleased songs. Top 5 for sure x

Yes, still love this song. It fits the untouchable five, replacing Black Beauty, but I guess I can’t say that