evilentity

Nightmare Boy (Barrie-James O'Neill)

Hello guys! this is former Nightmare boy online. I was having problems signing in using my twitter account so after many tries i just quit. But today i saw something i thought i should post here so i made a new profile. So Barrie's manager, Scottie Diablo (who was a friend of Lana and met Barrie through her) posted a playlist on spotify with all Barrie's discography, including TWO songs he co-wrote with Lana. The one is of course BROOKLYN BABY and guess which is the second?? BLACK BEAUTY. I wonder why he is not credited though..

Also when Hi, how are you? was out, and i listened to Lana's soundtrack i was sure that Barrie was playing the guitar so i contacted him and asked him. He said that he was indeed playing the guitar and he was also the producer of the song (!!) - both Barrie and Lana were credited as producers of the film as well. So i asked him why he wasn't credited to which he replied 'i guess the one name is bigger than the other'.

what a shame....

he is so talented deserves more

i will be cheering for him.

Guys! I listened to Psychedelic Soup and it's so amazing! It's has a Rock n Roll vibe, a lot of guitars, drums but also he added a lot of layers on all the songs. Different sounds and melodies. I'm trying to write down the lyrics and add them on Genius. I really hope he gets the attention he deserves with this album.

Also it seems like the album is separated in 2 parts. Song 10 is called 'Interlude' and you can't here anything for a while. It's like a long pause followed by 5 more songs which sound more aggressive. 

Here's the track list:

1. Spooky Blues

2. Moonlight

3. Mad man

4. Art of Horror

5. Fnky (instrumental)

6. Float

7. Free Like a Bird

8. Drop D

9. Magic Me

10. Interlude

11. Flame

12. Moonroom

13. Ages Away

14. Witches

15. Orion

If you have pre-ordered the album, then you'll have the link to it! Please help with the lyrics :)

[Psychedelic Soup will be released February 20th 2020 - Pre-order here]

New music video is out! Galatea - Grief to Grace

So Barrie's back (going by the artist name "Barrie-James" these days?). Psychedelic Soup is on spotify (and on sale in the usual places). While I can't say he's better than ever, he's still (much) more interesting than most. I would call it lo-fi jazz/grunge/funk in his characteristic downbeat, funky, morbid, and still-hung-up-on-the-past style (I have no problem with that; it's understandable and topically common in singer-songwriter pop). My biggest complaint is not being able to make out a lot of the lyrics, and he has an excellent Frank Sinatra cover (with the Dan Fontaine Orchestra, also on spotify), so I know he can sing clearly. I hope he posts the lyrics at some point (as he did with Float on youtube).

A secondary complaint is the chopped up (as in shorter songs) nature of the tracklist, which I realize is a commercial benefit in terms of stream revenue and "radiobility". However, the interludes might have been glommed onto their following songs to make for longer (more complex/unpredictable) tracks, and some sequences do seem part of a larger multi-movemented work (e.g. funky, float, and free like a bird, might have been a prog masterpiece if they were stitched together properly). I think Cold Coffee did this more rationally (i.e. glomming interludes/outros onto songs). I'd also like to see more prolonged instrumental work from Barrie in the future, as some of his interludes were interesting (e.g. Moonroom sounds kind of like U.K., the prog-Brit band, in the beginning).

Im just listening to it and every song has a different type of vibe to me so far im only on the 3rd song, Spooky Blues sounded like Jim Morrison/The Doors, Moonlight like a mix between Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain/Nirvana, Mad Man starts off more like Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits but then goes into being more ike like John Lennon/The Beatles.

Think that' probably why it's called "Soup" it's like a mix of a lot of stuff. I also feel like I really recognise some of the guitar on Mad Man.

The 4th song Art of Horror again is totally different to the others, started off like old blues guitar and I can't really say the style of singing but if I was to say like someone i'd probably say like Liam Gallagher/Oasis and then it totally changes.

I know the relationship was difficult etc but I also think Barrie was perfect for Lana in the way that they could be so creative together. In general I think she needs a fellow artist by her side who understands her (not some self-centered cop...).

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

There's a thread for him, and it's always great when you bump an artist's thread that you like, as it's shoots up in the queue. Maybe one of those mythical "mods" (sounds like gods, lol) can move this thread there.

He's had a couple of band names and seems to go by just Barrie James now (I wish he would have stuck with Nightmare Boy as that's "iconic"?). Magic Me also appears in Scumbag, his big performance music video, I think, so it's an older song, along with Art of Horror (which is also on PS, and also on Scumbag?). PS is a very solid album, imo, but I wish (selfishly) he were more prolific.