Sign in to follow this  
Miguel3Zero

Lana's band, do they get enough credit ?

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before.

In my opinion the backing band deserves a lot more credit for lifting Lana's music to great heights. I remember back at the start of the Paradise Tour some of the reviewers wrote that her backing band did not match the glamour of Lana. Now they know her every whim (almost). Just think about the drummer. I think his confident handling of the drums contributes to making her sound really special and unique. All of them are fantastic in my opinion.

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before.

In my opinion the backing band deserves a lot more credit for lifting Lana's music to great heights. I remember back at the start of the Paradise Tour some of the reviewers wrote that her backing band did not match the glamour of Lana. Now they know her every whim (almost). Just think about the drummer. I think his confident handling of the drums contributes to making her sound really special and unique. All of them are fantastic in my opinion.

hummm that is not really true but it's true. They are good musicians but still wouldn't call them a great band. A great band is able to improvise and get on with the show and is prepared to play the entire album

1. The dont know how to play Dark Paradise

2. The dont know how to play Off The Races

3. They were not able to even improvise playing Off The Races. Lana did it acapella.

4. Dark Paradise had the crowd as the production because her band didnt seem to know it

I know it's not the usual set...but shouldn't they have all songs just in case?? At least the samples??

glgcDdT.gif

her band is rly cool, the live renditions of her songs sound really cool live (sometimes better than the studio versions) and they seem like cool ppl, they're rly nice to her fans. and it's not their job to know every song lana has ever recorded, if she wants to sing something live, she needs to practise with them first, u can't rly expect them to be able to play anything, most bands rehearse before every show and i don't think they do which isn't only their fault but also lana's

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

her band is rly cool, the live renditions of her songs sound really cool live (sometimes better than the studio versions) and they seem like cool ppl, they're rly nice to her fans. and it's not their job to know every song lana has ever recorded,

I was talking about the ALBUM THE TOUR IS FOR. If is not the bands job to know how to paly than I ask: whos job it is?

if she wants to sing something live, she needs to practise with them first, u can't rly expect them to be able to play anything, most bands rehearse before every show and i don't think they do which isn't only their fault but also lana's

Never said Lana was not in fault. Just said they were in fault. Again good musicians is one thing great band is another. A band is a team and a team should be prepared to improvise is what distinguishes  a good band from a great one. Just my opinion anyway

glgcDdT.gif

hummm that is not really true but it's true. They are good musicians but still wouldn't call them a great band. A great band is able to improvise and get on with the show and is prepared to play the entire album

1. The dont know how to play Dark Paradise

2. The dont know how to play Off The Races

3. They were not able to even improvise playing Off The Races. Lana did it acapella.

4. Dark Paradise had the crowd as the production because her band didnt seem to know it

I know it's not the usual set...but shouldn't they have all songs just in case?? At least the samples??

Your examples just show that they can't play songs they've never rehearsed. Not even people like Clapton can be expected to do that in a great way. I was merely thinking about the great way they perform songs they actually know. But it's just my personal opinion :P I'm still in awe about the Brazilian fans though.

Your examples just show that they can't play songs they've never rehearsed. Not even people like Clapton can be expected to do that in a great way. I was merely thinking about the great way they perform songs they actually know. But it's just my personal opinion :P I'm still in awe about the Brazilian fans though.

totally understand your valide points. I was not even expecting them to play in a perfect presentation but at least try and improvise something. Not just stay there staring LOL

Anyway your right they are excelent musicians I just expected more attitude you know? improvise and create is something that should be more appreciated and encouraged. I guess in part  is me projecting since improvise is quite normal for brazilian singers and bands. Even in big festivals. In 2011 in Rock In Rio Shakira and Ivete played a brazilian song together that didn't belong to neither and both didn't rehearsed including Shakira's band . If they executed to perfection? Probably not  but was a great moment and both singers sang really well. Happens here more often I guess spontaneous moments like asking for unsual songs. Usually the artists are prepared for that since is normal.

glgcDdT.gif

Does anyone have a list of the actual line-up? I keep hearing names tossed around but I don't even know who plays what  :$

from the tour program:

Bass - CJ Alexander

Keyboard - Byron Thomas

Guitar - Blake Stranathan

Drums - Tom Marsh

Violin - Ellie Stanford

Violin - Anna Croad

Violin - Hayley Pomfrett

Viola - Sarah Chapman

Viola - Nozomi Cohen

Cello - Llinos Richards

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I like her band also and they're good musicians. It's not always so easy to improvise.

At the Belgian concert Lana took for about 20 minutes time for her fans to give signatures and so on and her band had to improvise also then.

OK, it's also a part of their job but not always easy I think. Does the band know when Lana's going to her fans?