COLACNT

TROPICO ANALYSIS

i feel like we need (yet) another thread to discuss our thoughts the film 

i'm gonna watch it again later and read the excerpts from howl and i dunno i think we should try to connect his writing with the particular scenes she decided to lay them over, etc 

ZRBNill.jpg

I have mixed feelings about Tropico.  :crossed: I waited it for so long and was so excited about it but when I saw it I was a little disappointed. I still liked, it was really good. It wasn't just as good as I hoped it to be. Some points it was a little bit boring imo and I didn't like Shaun Ross at all  :eek: 

It's cool, i liked it, especially after a couple more watches and letting it sink in. I can see how someone may not be into it, it's not for everyone and i doubt she expected it to be.

I do worry about fans claiming it's "not a film" though, like as if somehow a short film can only be told in one way for it to be considered a film, ridiculous.

It was hyped up for months so on initial viewing i can see how it may not meet "expectations", however for me the film was exactly as i was imagining so i cant say i was surprised by what it turned out to be.

Just a quick conspiracy..

In one of the trailer park scenes she places a bag of frozen veggies on her head.

Could it mean that her guy hit her? 

I mean a lot of the scenes from Tropico are similar to the lyrics of Hundred Dollar Bill with Jimmys ultra violent swings, ya dig?

Not a fan of it.. I'm happy she got to complete her vision but I think- maybe with another director ?- it could have been done better, and not so damn LITERALLY.  There was so much more artistry in Born To Die, for example and the Blue Jeans vid- for me. 

It was odd how after her fall from grace led her to hanging out with Latinos.. I could see that causing some outrage.  

Also, she recited some of those last stanzas in ISTBE- holiness of the human vessel and what not- the body is the soul.. I wonder if she really believes that? I get the hedonistic pov but I do wonder what she's trying to say.   

I really don't know what to think still.. lol.. I was pulling for Shaun Ross but I don't think he fit the video whatsoever. (That choreography was cringe worthy) Even Charlie would have been a better choice, and we all know Lana is fine w/ kissing siblings.

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

One thing that bugs me is the leaves/flowers they wear in the Garden. Adam and Eve are naked, it's only when they are chased that they decide to take leaves and cover themselves with it because they are no longer innocent and start to have desires therefore need protection. 

SCARFACE2371.png

Definitely gonna rewatch it when I have the time to, but rn I really agree with what @@TrailerParkDarling said. She shouldn't have worked with Mandler; maybe Woodkid would've been a better choice. BJ and BTD were iconic videos in my opinion and perhaps Woodkid could've made the video more subtle? Like in Tropico the symbolism and the general storyline was v obvious. If it was Woodkid-directed then maybe there would've been more space to interpret what the video meant. But then of course Lana did say she worked really well with Mandler so ~idk~  :pft:

One thing that bugs me is the leaves/flowers they wear in the Garden. Adam and Eve are naked, it's only when they are chased that they decide to take leaves and cover themselves with it because they are no longer innocent and start to have desires therefore need protection. 

but i mean its not like the rest of the story sticks to the Bible :toofunny:

but sure you cant have shaun ross' manhood and lanas fanny hanging out for 5 mins tho?

but sure you cant have shaun ross' manhood and lanas fanny hanging out for 5 mins tho?

The plans can be cut or they can wear beige underwear. It doesn't change the fact that this choice of making them wear leaves and flowers shows their lack of knowledge and understanding of the Bible. This might seem to be a detail but it's actually quite important, before eating the fruit they didn't need clothes. Tropico lacked a lot of subtility. 

SCARFACE2371.png

The plans can be cut or they can wear beige underwear. It doesn't change the fact that this choice of making them wear leaves and flowers shows their lack of knowledge and understanding of the Bible. This might seem to be a detail but it's actually quite important, before eating the fruit they didn't need clothes. Tropico lacked a lot of subtility. 

There was no Marylin, Elvis, John in the Bible either, was there? Not everything has to be just like in the bible.  :awk:

sig3_2.png