Lad

"Lana Del Ray" gapless

I really didn't know how to title this so I kinda think the current one is confusing... if someone makes up a better title just suggest it and I'll use it :D Then, if some people think this doesn't need its own thread there's no problem if it ends up merged with other thread + I didn't find a thread that talks about this so that's why I opened this one :)

Okey, I started noticing this when and anon send a message to a tumblr blog (TOSTB) and it was about how you can clearly listen to For K Part 2 ending at the beginning of Jump and the same with Mermaid Motel -> Raise Me Up. This was some months ago and today I listened to the whole album in its official tracklisting (I mostly listen to music on shuffle) and noticed that this happened with most of the tracks:

• You can listen at the very end of Kill Kill (3:56 in my version) the beginning of Queen of the Gas Station. Then the song mutes and the beginning of QOTGS starts again but this time in its own track (QOTGS).
  • At the very very very veeery beginning of Oh Say Can You See you can hear QOTGS's bass (??? idk what instrument it is) for like, less than a second and then the song starts with the guitar. (Notice that QOTGS mutes at the last seconds, just like Kill Kill - but you don't hear KK's ending at QOTGS).

• Gramma and For K Part 2 are completely fine. At least I didn't notice anything like with the previous ones.

• Like I previously said you can hear FKP2 at the beginning of Jump.

• Mermaid Motel is fine (well, it mutes at the end like [i can almost confirm] every song on the album).

• Like I previously said you can hear MM at the beginning of Raise Me Up.

• Barely noticeable, but you can hear the very end of Raise Me Up at the -again- very beginning of Pawn Shop Blues.

• Same that the previous point, you can listen to PSB before the male voice starts talking on Brite Lites.

• Didn't notice anything on Put Me In A Movie, just that it mutes 2 seconds before its official ending (like most of the album).

• You can clearly listen to Lizzy's voice saying 'put me in a movie' before the piano (again idk if I'm correct with which instrument is) drops at Smarty and I think you can listen to Yayo's beginning (the noise before the guitar starts playing) at the very end.

• Yayo is fine.

From this I noticed that two of the Kill Kill EP tracks were completely fine (no mixed endings/beginnings) and we know those tracks were released in 2008 before the album and with another tracklisting... but then again you can listen to QOTGS at the end of Kill Kill. I tried to download a supposedly iTunes version of the EP (and I think it was reliable cuz it was shared by @@HeadBitch ) but the folder only had Yayo and it couldn't load at my iTunes sooo I quited.

I noticed too that the PSB instrumental shared by @@DarkParadise on here didn't have the problem that album version has + it doesn't mute at the end like most of the album (all the leaked instrumentals end properly btw). Smarty doesn't have the vocals at the beginning too, but that's obvious considering it's the instrumental and the end of PMIAM it's acapella.

I haven't checked video versions or early mixes or the ones Kahne had in his website cuz I'm not digging that much in this topic but yeah...

Why this happens?

Is the iTunes version of the album (not leaked/surfacing yet - don't even know if someone has it) not mixing the songs? (This problem happens too in Britney Spears' In the Zone, with the ending of Outrageous being featured at the beginning of Touch of my Hand, and I have the iTunes version of that album).

Does this happen in the AKA you guys have? I downloaded mine at very late 2011 or I think January 2012. It supposedly is 320kbps.

So yeah I want to know if someone here already noticed this and if someone familiarized with the topic knows why this happens (and only with the album versions)

:)

I thought that was the proper version of AKA

It is, at least is the proper one we have. I think it's a common problem too, because it happens in other albums but not in almost the whole album lol but then in the instrumentals we have those issues don't happen  :toofunny:

It is, at least is the proper one we have. I think it's a common problem too, because it happens in other albums but not in almost the whole album lol but then in the instrumentals we have those issues don't happen  :toofunny:

I feel like it's on purpose? I dunno, seems like it was mixed that way with intent. Makes it sound kinda cohesive (and PMIAM at the start of Smarty sounds flawless tbh). 

By the way, I don't think the 320 kbps you have is real. Don't quote me, but I think we can only confirm 256 is real because that's iTunes quality; I'm pretty sure we haven't confirmed if any higher qualities i.e. from the few physical copies that exist have been uploaded. I very well could be wrong though.

It's called gapless.

Right. Since the whole album was produced by one guy, it was probably a conscious decision to create flow. I've always noticed this too. I've always thought it was especially conscious between OSCYS and Gramma, the way the slower song kinda crescendoes into the Gramma beats.

I feel like it's on purpose? I dunno, seems like it was mixed that way with intent. Makes it sound kinda cohesive (and PMIAM at the start of Smarty sounds flawless tbh). 

By the way, I don't think the 320 kbps you have is real. Don't quote me, but I think we can only confirm 256 is real because that's iTunes quality; I'm pretty sure we haven't confirmed if any higher qualities i.e. from the few physical copies that exist have been uploaded. I very well could be wrong though.

Yeah I think it's pitched, but it sounds good and I haven't really looked for the most correct one. I think the album was on 5 Points Records website for streaming?? yeah I think it was but in 2012 got deleted - I think that's the reason why we have the album in first place still not really sure how it surfaced.

It's called gapless.

thank you! knew it was a common issue but I never couldn't fine a name/definition of it (well my search skills weren't the best ones  :creep:). Still don't know why the instrumentals doesn't have the same problem. Different mixes I think. 

I'm not against the gapless (now that I know their name), I really like it being honest and like you guys say it creates a flow. I only don't like how the songs mute at the end but hey, I guess I can solve that problem just cutting out some seconds.

In my copy of AKA, there are no gapless album links between some of the songs you mentioned. Looks like someone noticed and cut/edited them out. Some links still exist though, like the ending of for For K/start of Jump. That's definitely noticeable.

Gapless albums are quite popular though. For example, Coldplay's album Mylo Xyloto is a great gapless album.

gapless album is a type of album in which some or all of the tracks are intended to be heard seamlessly without any pause. Instead of individual tracks being separated by a brief moment of silence, each transitions directly into the next track without a pause in the sound. Joining tracks this way can be done for a number of reasons, such as splitting a piece's movements into individual tracks, or to help the cohesion of a concept album. Pink Floyd's The Wall is a famous example of a gapless album.

While gapless playback was relatively simple to achieve on traditional media formats, an early issue with computer-based formats such as MP3 was the lack of support for gapless playback, causing gapless albums to have short pauses in between each track. Beginning with the iTunes release of Madonna's Confessions on a Dance FloorApple attempted to fix this for their music players by releasing a version of the album where some tracks were merged into a single track to create the effect of gapless playback.

Lmao what a long winded and strange post. Lol no offense

It is not a mistake, it's clearly done on purpose so when you listen to the album all the tracks flow into one piece. Not the only album to do this..

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Me too if it's still possible to get it :)

Interesting thing, but i like on how you CAN hear parts of the next/last song if you listen closely, but the tracks still are fine on their own. I really dislike having  a favourite song, but always being forced to listen to it mixed with another one in order not to have a super-stupid beginning (or end), like it is with Quuens Of The Stone Age's "Kalopsia" or Mando Diao's "Shining" ...

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I want this as well! I actually really prefer gapless albums because if its done right the flow makes for an amazing album experience. I love Pink Floyd for this reason and I'm actually a lot more excited than I should be that there is a Lana album like this. I don't know where I got my AKA songs from, but none of them show any signs of this so I had no idea. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.