Lirazel

Music (& stuff) people like that you tried to get into, but can’t

Florence, Ellie, Haim, even Marina :(  Also Nirvana, Bruce Springsteen (though I like his 70s stuff), and The Beatles. I don't get it, I just don't get it...

Lana was the first female singer I really loved. (Paving the way for Lykke Li, Grimes, Charli, and Sky... I adore them!) I pretty much grew up steeped in heavy metal misogyny. I liked alt bands too, like The Cure, but for me it was very compartmentalized. It was almost like two different types of music for two different types of people. The greatest contribution to the world by alt-rock bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam was not, IMO, bringing these forms of music together, but rather, raising hard rock's social consciousness on such a vast level.

I understand about Linkin Park being more therapeutic than a lot of male-led acts, though I do generally prefer male voices. Puller (fronted by Michael Lewis) is another one I turn to for trauma-processing. They're very hard to find anymore; time marches on, the 90s are long over, and the Christian music industry favors ignoring-the-victim shtick. (Since becoming a feminist, I've scrutinized the lyrics of a lot of the Christian alt-rock bands I used to love, and Puller is the only one without a hint of the language-of-the-oppressor vibe that I'm trying to unlearn my tolerance for. I hope I'm not offending anyone -- I still love the church. But we're capable of screwing up the culture as much as anyone.)

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

i listened to Natalia Kills a few times, i just can't get into her music that much. same with charli xcx, except i like SuperLove.

i tried getting into Supernatural and American Horror Story and i can't either. spn's plot is so freakin' obvious and ahs is just fucked up.

and i tried reading the mortal instruments, it's so dry and boring i gave up soon after.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Florence, Ellie, Haim, even Marina :(  Also Nirvana, Bruce Springsteen (though I like his 70s stuff), and The Beatles. I don't get it, I just don't get it...

Lana was the first female singer I really loved. (Paving the way for Lykke Li, Grimes, Charli, and Sky... I adore them!) I pretty much grew up steeped in heavy metal misogyny. I liked alt bands too, like The Cure, but for me it was very compartmentalized. It was almost like two different types of music for two different types of people. The greatest contribution to the world by alt-rock bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam was not, IMO, bringing these forms of music together, but rather, raising hard rock's social consciousness on such a vast level.

I understand about Linkin Park being more therapeutic than a lot of male-led acts, though I do generally prefer male voices. Puller (fronted by Michael Lewis) is another one I turn to for trauma-processing. They're very hard to find anymore; time marches on, the 90s are long over, and the Christian music industry favors ignoring-the-victim shtick. (Since becoming a feminist, I've scrutinized the lyrics of a lot of the Christian alt-rock bands I used to love, and Puller is the only one without a hint of the language-of-the-oppressor vibe that I'm trying to unlearn my tolerance for. I hope I'm not offending anyone -- I still love the church. But we're capable of screwing up the culture as much as anyone.)

OMG, I agree with all of your choices except for Nirvana (like them a lot, not my fave band, but yeah), Bruce Springsteen (haven't tried to get into him.. yet?).

I'm happy that I'm not the only person who doesn't get the appeal of The Beatles. I mean, I know that modern music owes a lot to them, but I just don't see them as fun to listen to. They're too poppy for me(Not to mention that they're the "in" band for the hipster crowd, at least in Poland...it's trendy to love them).

I love the Cure too ever since my parents introduced me to them in early childhood.

I'm happy that somebody gets me about Linkin Park! Thanks for letting me know about Puller, I've never heard about this band, and it sounds interesting. And I get how you feel as a feminist (I'm one too) - a lot of good music stops being pleasurable when you realize how misogynistic the lyrics are. It's not only about Christian music... It's such a shame that music of every genre is ruined by it - alt rock, rap... even indie rock, which should be against mainstream trends. It makes me sad that I have to reject a lot of good tunes, because the artist is an asshole (and it puts me off).

Sorry for rambling so much :facepalm:

i am nothing and should be everything

And I get how you feel as a feminist (I'm one too) - a lot of good music stops being pleasurable when you realize how misogynistic the lyrics are. It's not only about Christian music... It's such a shame that music of every genre is ruined by it - alt rock, rap... even indie rock, which should be against mainstream trends. It makes me sad that I have to reject a lot of good tunes, because the artist is an asshole (and it puts me off).

Do you really stop listening to artists because of their personal beliefs or behaviour? Idk I don't think I'd be left with a lot of music to listen to if I did that, a lot of artists are shitty people but that doesn't affect my opinion of their music.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I'm happy that somebody gets me about Linkin Park! Thanks for letting me know about Puller, I've never heard about this band, and it sounds interesting. And I get how you feel as a feminist (I'm one too) - a lot of good music stops being pleasurable when you realize how misogynistic the lyrics are. It's not only about Christian music... It's such a shame that music of every genre is ruined by it - alt rock, rap... even indie rock, which should be against mainstream trends. It makes me sad that I have to reject a lot of good tunes, because the artist is an asshole (and it puts me off).

Puller may be hard to find these days; they broke up around 2002. Worth checking out if you run across them, though :D Sometimes amazon has their CDs in stock.

Yeah, we do get to decide what we want to put up with in our music choices. If it's not pleasurable anymore, why bother? I'm finding, though, that it can be enjoyable to cast a wider net as I relearn the art of the mixed response. I don't have to agree with an artist's perspective to love their music. And I can even find different perspectives interesting when I don't agree with them. I guess I've been trying to retrain myself to "catch people doing right," but without turning a blind eye to what's wrong, if that makes sense. In all areas of life, not just music. I find I'm a much happier person this way. But when faced with something that amounts to an onslaught of trauma (and I'm sensitive, so for me slander = trauma), I feel very free to hit the off button :P

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Do you really stop listening to artists because of their personal beliefs or behaviour? Idk I don't think I'd be left with a lot of music to listen to if I did that, a lot of artists are shitty people but that doesn't affect my opinion of their music.

You know, it depends on how bad the person is, and how much the personal beliefs or behaviour are present in the music. Probably none of the musicians I listen to are flawless, but at least they are not total assholes. It's not about stoping listening, more like about getting interested in the first place.

For example, I refuse to listen to Eminem - no matter how amazing he may be - because I can't stand how full of misogyny he is.

Would you buy novels by Anne Perry?

Yeah, we do get to decide what we want to put up with in our music choices. If it's not pleasurable anymore, why bother? I'm finding, though, that it can be enjoyable to cast a wider net as I relearn the art of the mixed response. I don't have to agree with an artist's perspective to love their music. And I can even find different perspectives interesting when I don't agree with them. I guess I've been trying to retrain myself to "catch people doing right," but without turning a blind eye to what's wrong, if that makes sense. In all areas of life, not just music. I find I'm a much happier person this way. But when faced with something that amounts to an onslaught of trauma (and I'm sensitive, so for me slander = trauma), I feel very free to hit the off button :P

I try to be aware of "crimes" of my favourite musicians. If they screw up, they screw up. I don't defend them if there's no point, but I also don't act like they're demons (of course I'm not talking about cases like Chris Brown, more like cultural appropiation or other insensitivity).

Kinda Amanda Palmer. I mean, I'm rather ok with her music but don't understand why some find her so phenomenal.

Sadly, I have to agree - not to mention that her personality turns me off her music :facepalm: I feel that sometimes she tries too hard to be a rebel and over-intellectualizes simple matters(No, Amanda, supporting the Klan is never okay! You don't get a free pass just cause you proclaim it to be a irony)

You know, it depends on how bad the person is, and how much the personal beliefs or behaviour are present in the music. Probably none of the musicians I listen to are flawless, but at least they are not total assholes. It's not about stoping listening, more like about getting interested in the first place.

For example, I refuse to listen to Eminem - no matter how amazing he may be - because I can't stand how full of misogyny he is.

Would you buy novels by Anne Perry?

I would, if I wanted to read them. And is Eminem really more misogynistic than other rappers? I think a lot of his lyrics are satirical or he's trying to get a reaction (Criminal for example). John Lennon beat his first wife, Michael Gira from Swans used to beat up fans at his shows if he didn't like the way they were dancing, Gucci Mane killed a guy... Those are the ones I can think of right now, there's much much more. I don't care too much about the artists I listen to but if I find out they're assholes I don't really care that much. Some horrible people have made amazing music and films and I don't want to restrict myself from listening to and watching those just because their creators have done some shitty things.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Katy Perry's "Prism" album.

I really like her other music, from Katy Hudson's gospel-pop days and her vocals for The Matrix album to her mainstream albums. I tried a few times to get into Prism but I just can't. It bores me.

Not a big fan of Nirvana either. They were good and I get that they're grunge legends, so respect there. I just prefer Hole or L7 when it comes to grunge.

:sluttybunny:🌧️

(Joanna Newsom vs. Conor Oberst, maybe?)

Joanna Newsom. :lmao:

Natalia Kills.... u g h. She had a few gems on her first album, but most of it was trash. Second album was even worse. I get what she's trying to do and say with her music and image, and I wanted to like her for so long because the few songs I did like were so good to me, but I just can't???? She's so fucking tacky lmao. 

14417469274.gif

I cant stand Bruno Mars' music. He's so overrated imo

I can casually listen to Marina, but def I cant get a lot into her and lot of lana's fans stan for her

Azealia Banks

Ellie Goulding. Her voice is so annoying for me, but she has like 2 songs I kinda like

Not a big fan of Nirvana either. They were good and I get that they're grunge legends, so respect there. I just prefer Hole or L7 when it comes to grunge.

I'm happy to see another Hole stan here! :)

Guest Dot

Mhhh I haven't really tried to get into a lot of musicians ever since I got into Lana :awkney: . I tried to get into Avicii, because he's producing Madonna's new album and honestly, I only like like 5 songs, but I still think he can create some good songs for Madonna.

However, there is a few songs and things I really tried to get into but failed.

#1: Beyoncé - BEYONCÈ

That album is boring and overrated. The END.

#2: Applause

Generic and weak compared to what Gaga is capable of. It pales in comparison to most of the other songs on ARTPOP and I still think it killed a lot of hype for ARTPOP eventhough it was doing quite well on the charts.

#3: Venus

I still cringe whenever I hear this song. I think a lot of people loved it so much, because Gaga could've filmed an awesome video for it.

#4: The ARTPOP era

Do I need to say anything more?

#5: Tommylife/Luberg/whatever

He's just not funny, at all. :awkney: Also, can we please remove all of his emotes? No one ever uses them, except for The GAWDESS, maybe. Also props to @@Rafael for actually listing him first. :mariah:

#6: Marina & the Diamonds/Charli XCX

#7: Some of M.I.A.'s music is really hard for me to get into, but there are a few songs I REALLY like!

Actually, we should make a Music Recommendation Thread if there isn't one already. I'd love to expand my iTunes library. :)