toshi

Saddest / Most Depressing Lana Song

For me its PWYC. Breaks my heart everytime I listen to the track. She sounds like she's on the verge of an emotional breakdown and just about to cry. To top it off you can here in certain parts of the track her voice cracking in pain  :crai:  :rollin:

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I'm not sure if the songs I'm listing really are 'depressing', I kinda think that they're sad just because they make me sad.

Pretty When You Cry because depression and stuff, and I'm just bitter lmao, Terrence Loves You because a family member that I love dearly has a chronic and severe mental disorder (though TLY comforts me because it really describes how I feel), and Yayo because my life is kinda heading towards that direction lol :/. Honorable mention to God Knows I Tried, but I hate how her voice sounds in it. 

sgopYhV.gif

Is This Happiness definitely takes the cake. Some other ones on the list would be:

Pin Up Galore

Some Things Last a Long Time

Out With a Bang

Bad Disease

Your Band is All The Rage

All Smiles

Money Hunny

Wait For Life

Terrence Loves You

Afraid

Damn You

The Blackest Day

Pretty When You Cry

Fine China

Pawn Shop Blues

Dark Paradise

Carmen

Last Girl on Earth

Backfire (sometimes. It's one of my favourite unreleased so it makes me happy when I hear it, although I'll totally bawl to it when I'm sad)

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

OSCYS is also sad but in a different kinda way. It sounds to me like she's been defeated (By alcohol/night life) and is willingly submissive towards the it. She's given up fighting it and she's done doing so. She's compliment but desperate at the same time...

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

Carmen 

The first time I heard it I started crying. Its so depressing, especially the way she sings it during one of her live performances. The lines "baby's all dressed up with nowhere to go... relying on the kindness of strangers. Tying cherry knots.. smiling, doing party favors" used to get me every single time. 

now Carmen isn't that bad anymore.

Mfhp.gif

I think like 85% of Lana's songs are sad but in different kinds of ways- like I would group Disco and Yayo together bc they're both a "desperate" and "lost" kind of sad. Terrence Loves You, Old Money, and Is This Happiness are a kind of "wistful" sad. Cruel World, Pretty When You Cry, and Noir are more "bitter" and "angry" sad. There's probably like a million more categories of ""sad"" her songs can be grouped into but I can't think of anymore rn haha.

but to actually answer the question, I think Yayo feels the heaviest and saddest

i think Pawn Shop Blues is one of her saddest because it’s one of her earliest, and you can hear her uncertainty in having to pawn off possessions and lose people to get to where she wanted to be, and know what she wanted to know. She doesn’t sound entirely sure of herself, and partially regretful incase it doesn’t work out, but in the end, it did. :krylie:

Californ-I-A homeland of the Gods

Once I found my way

But now I am lost

The acoustic demo of Put Me In A Movie is so melancholic. Is This Happiness, White Dress, The Blackest Day and a decent number of songs from Sirens are up there as well. 

imageproxy.jpg

On 11/23/2016 at 11:51 PM, Starsx said:

Carmen 

The first time I heard it I started crying. Its so depressing, especially the way she sings it during one of her live performances. The lines "baby's all dressed up with nowhere to go... relying on the kindness of strangers. Tying cherry knots.. smiling, doing party favors" used to get me every single time. 

Again, another song from btd that I think sounds superior live. There’s a version she sand on the radio where it sounds absolutely beautiful and it’s one of my favs to get sad too

black beauty especially the second verse, she’s trying sooooo hard but nothing is gonna work to save her baby 

pwyc

tly

the ocean 

living legend is so emotional to me

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

For me, the songs have always been thoughtful in a very deep, poetic, beautiful way — and perhaps contemplation lends itself to existentialism, often related to dread and melancholy. That said, I think the song of hers that best encapsulates the beauty of a genuinely sad state of being would have to be Black Beauty.