Sitar

Boarding School

"Yale's not a problem, let's solve it" doesn't make sense. If there it isn't a problem, how can it be solved?

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

"Yale's not a problem, let's solve it" doesn't make sense. If there it isn't a problem, how can it be solved?

If you wanna get that scholarship

Yale's not a problem, let’s solve it

Educated in the language of doing-it

Get down like your tutor taught you to and do it

I really don't know how anyone is hearing 'Love' in this phrase? She doesn't even make anything close to a 'v' syllable. I don't know how scholarship and love make sense, because Yale (the college) and a scholarship make more sense. It's not really a question of sense, she clearly isn't saying love at all. And the kids who go to boarding school go to college.

giffix-1.gif

While I agree with people critical of the line that it would be problematic if Lana were advocating anorexia, and I see the potential for anorexics to latch onto this, but I don't think that's what she's doing here. To the contrary. She's no more advocating anorexia than she is advocating drugs, drinking, getting beaten by someone with tats on his ass, or fucking your teachers. She's painting a picture of how fucked up she or other girls were in boarding school. The song is written from that perspective, but portrays that perspective as something fucked up.

I'm a little late, but I just wanted to say that I totally agree with what you're saying. In that verse, I think she's writing from the perspective of putting all of her friends and their issues under the microscope. Assuming everyone she knew at that school (and I don't know much about the school) was, like her, sent there for substance abuse, eating disorders, etc., the verse makes perfect sense in that context. On the other hand, I think it could easily be misconstrued.

tori_amos_signature_by_ghosttree-d34dy5d.png

If you wanna get that scholarship

You know it's not a problem, let’s solve it (?)

Educated in the language of doing-it

Get down like your tutor taught you to and do it

Blowing up as a singer? I thought it was blowing the bestest singer? It makes sense, she use the word bestest in video games...

Nevermind... my mind is in the gutter xD

1olt2g.jpg

Now that some scoundrel has leaked the live "Boarding School" video ( :biblio:), I think it's worth taking another look at what we think the lyrics are. Obviously she changed up the lyrics in quite a few places, from small changes like "let's get down" and "go to boarding school" to more significant changes like "or that crystal methamphetamine", "municipal" (I think), and "get down like your tutor taught you to and prove it", which works so much better. But I think the live version sheds light on what some of the other lyrics actually are. Though I'm not exactly sure what all the lyrics are in the line before, I think it's pretty clear she says "you let his tattooed ass beat ya". I also don't think she ever says "cruel". I think it's always "cool".

And then there's the Pepsi. While I concede that the two syllables before "Pepsi" begin with a 'P' sound in the live version, I still think she says "vodka" on the studio version. (I had heard the live version when I first put forward that theory.) But I'm not convinced she says "P-P-Pepsi" on the live version either (even though that would sort of make sense coming a couple lines after "f-food cravings"). The vowel sounds on those syllables don't sound like schwas to me, but more like long os, especially the second syllable. Could she be saying a slang term for a drug she's mixing in her Pepsi?

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

its p-p-pepsi, dont over complicate  :smh:

I'm not over-complicating. Just telling you what I hear. No matter how hard I try, I can't make myself hear "P-P-Pepsi" on the studio version. The 'k' sound in "vodka" is especially clear to me. It's slightly clearer if you shift the balance all the way to the right speaker, but it's pretty clear to me regardless.

im going to listen again

I really dont hear anything else, and i dont see a reason for it to be anything other than P-P. Considering the large gaps between the sounds.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the song though  :defeated:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I'm not over-complicating. Just telling you what I hear. No matter how hard I try, I can't make myself hear "P-P-Pepsi" on the studio version. The 'k' sound in "vodka" is especially clear to me. It's slightly clearer if you shift the balance all the way to the right speaker, but it's pretty clear to me regardless.

Are you sure you're not hearing a k sound from the huge reverb of the handclaps? I have never heard anything other than P-P-Pepsi, studio or live. We've been over this  :usrs:

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Are you sure you're not hearing a k sound from the huge reverb of the handclaps? I have never heard anything other than P-P-Pepsi, studio or live. We've been over this  :usrs:

I know. I wouldn't keep insisting on it if I wasn't so sure I hear something else. I'm absolutely certain it's not from the handclaps. Though I can only imagine that's what making it hard for everyone else to hear it. I have literally listened to that part of the studio recording scores of times telling myself the lyric is "P-P-Pepsi" and I still hear "vodka Pepsi". Someone else must hear it.

I'm tired of feeling like I'm fucking crazy.

Edit: It's not a manifestation of a K fixation, I swear! :teehee:

I listened to that bit again and I did hear "vodka".

But then I looked at the sound file and listened to it over and over until I heard p-p-pepsi and finally I did. When she says p-p(k)-pep-si, the snare is a little off sync so it's really distracting but there is definitely a p sound there since there are two peaks in the sound file. One for the p and one for the snare.

tumblr_mj5utwzeSw1qerg8so1_1280.jpg

whattt? i thought it was "Come on now and tell me where his tattooed ass beat ya" lol at least we all agree on the tatted ass

I still hear this :icant:

I just don't think p-p-pepsi would make sense.

L-l-let’s do drugs

Make love with our teachers

Come on now and tell me where his tattooed-ass beat ya
I’m a fan of pro-ana nation
I do them drugs to stop the f-food cravings
If you wanna get high with me, I’m in the back
Doing crack, drinking vodka / P-P-Pepsi

That verse is all about being a badass at boarding school, why would she talk about drinking pepsi while doing crack?

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.