Greenwich

West Coast

On 5/1/2020 at 12:46 PM, HydroponicWeeds said:

This is still one of the many peaks of her career. I hope we get a return to this sound on the next album

Listening to 'West Coast' makes me realize how grand Lana was during her first three albums. There was so much intensity back then. I honestly hope she has more of that in store.

Β 

Β 

Also, where have you guys been? People have been drawing comparisons between 'West Coast' and 'Edge of Seventeen' (as well as 'And I Love Her' and 'Kill Bill') since like 2014.Β :stareney2:
'West Coast' isΒ thatΒ song.Β :sluttybunny:

3 hours ago, MAX DEL REY said:

Also, where have you guys been? People have been drawing comparisons between 'West Coast' and 'Edge of Seventeen'Β since like 2014.Β :stareney2:

Care to share what those are, in your opinion, to add to the discussion?

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

1 hour ago, RormanNockwell said:

Care to share what those are, in your opinion, to add to the discussion?

Sure!

IΒ just rememberΒ reading a couple of articles/reviews of 'West Coast' (or in certain cases 'Ultraviolence') back in April of 2014 (and subsequently June of 2014)Β drawing comparisons between Lana's songΒ and Stevie's; the "ooh baby, ooh baby" 1, 2, there was also a French Canadian articleΒ (in 'La Presse') that mentioned that comparison as well, but I can't seem to find it. AlsoΒ mentioningΒ that the guitar riff sounded similar to the one at the beginning the Beatles' song 'And I Love Her'. Or that the siren that comes in during the last part of the song sounded similar to the one found in bothΒ 'Kill Bill' movies soundtracks.Β Not sure if all of those were intentional on Lana and Dan's part, but I like to think they were. I find that they add even more layers to the song.Β 'West Coast' is a masterpiece of a song!

On 10/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, MAX DEL REY said:

Sure!

IΒ just rememberΒ reading a couple of articles/reviews of 'West Coast' (or in certain cases 'Ultraviolence') back in April of 2014 (and subsequently June of 2014)Β drawing comparisons between Lana's songΒ and Stevie's; the "ooh baby, ooh baby" 1, 2, there was also a French Canadian articleΒ (in 'La Presse') that mentioned that comparison as well, but I can't seem to find it. AlsoΒ mentioningΒ that the guitar riff sounded similar to the one at the beginning the Beatles' song 'And I Love Her'. Or that the siren that comes in during the last part of the song sounded similar to the one found in bothΒ 'Kill Bill' movies soundtracks.Β Not sure if all of those were intentional on Lana and Dan's part, but I like to think they were. I find that they add even more layers to the song.Β 'West Coast' is a masterpiece of a song!

Random fact, but that siren-like sound at the end is known as the 'G-Funk' West Coast synth sound; prominent in the late 80's and early 90's hip hop movement (songs like "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg, "Nothing But A G Thang" by Dr. Dre, among several other hip hop songs). It was a big thing back in the day. I'm pretty sure it was added as a nod/homage to that.

this has definitely been discussed at length.... but maybe it's "he's crazy y cubano como yo la-la" because she's saying "like i sing" :bebe:

Β 

just trying to pretend she didn't randomly throw in "la la" andΒ also trying to convince myselfΒ it's "he's crazy y cubano como yo la-love" as inΒ like i love i guess even though she rhymes it with love so that wouldn't really make sense... also i haven't spoken spanish in over a year so even the simplest translation might be off. anywayz

sUcVobB.png

Β 

Just now, Aphrodite said:

she says "He's crazy y cubano como yo, la-la" !Β https://youtu.be/oKxuiw3iMBE

Β 

she posted the lyrics in the description

Β 

Β 

i saw that! maybe it's time to declare she printed the wrong lyrics againΒ :bye3:Β i still love the line honestly so nbd i just want to know exactly what she meant

sUcVobB.png

Β 

I've loved this song big time when it came out, and I've been diving on it ramdonly every now and then for theseΒ couple of months, and don'tΒ if it'sΒ just because I'm older now but

Β 

Does anybody else get the imagery that Lana's/you'reΒ talking about getting fucked in the balcony during the chorus?

Β 

Move baby, move baby, I'm in love:bodyisready:

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

ANOTHER MASTERPIECE , AN OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE,Β Β A CAREER HIGHLIGHT.

It has been on repeat since 2014 and it still sounds so fresh .Β 

Β 

Β 

π‘³π’Šπ’‡π’† π’Šπ’” π’ƒπ’†π’‚π’–π’•π’Šπ’‡π’–π’ 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

6 minutes ago, NewportBitch said:

This song has the same riff as the opening of β€œAnd I Love Her” by the Beatles. Does anybody else hear it too?

omg yes !Β :trisha:Β 

Β 

Β 

π‘³π’Šπ’‡π’† π’Šπ’” π’ƒπ’†π’‚π’–π’•π’Šπ’‡π’–π’ 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

Theory about lyrics
I have a theory about one line in this songs, I’ve heard some talk about it, but never any other theories. In west coasts he sings β€œHe’s crazy yΒ Cubano como yo, I love” which translates from Spanish to English means β€œHe’s crazy and Cuban like me.” At first I thought Lana was just playing with words, but then this theory hit me. The origin of her stage name β€œLana Del Rey”. She came up with the name when she was hanging out a lot, and speaking SpanishcΒ with herΒ friends from, CubaΒ in Miami. Lana Del Rey is sorta born in Cuba, that’s how the name was created.Β 
Β 

What please share what you think.

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

πšŠπš—πš πš’πš— πšπš‘πšŠπš πš–πš˜πš–πšŽπš—πš πš’ πšπšŽπšŒπš’πšπšŽπš 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 πš—πš˜πšπš‘πš’πš—πš, πšŠπš‹πš˜πšžπš πšŽπšŸπšŽπš›πš’πšπš‘πš’πš—πš

31 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Her best song ever. I actively search for UV reaction videos on Youtube to see how casual listeners react to the tempo changeΒ and everybody is floored by it.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Β 

Β 

i remember the song being played at Cochealla and it being absolutely everythingΒ 

Β 

the drums the layered vocals and the stage presence when artists only needed large screens showing them performing and not the theatrics of todayΒ 

Β 

then to release the looped video and people not likingΒ the layered vocals cause you couldn’t understand her smh

Β 

then she releases the video with the updated vocals and fuck it was THAT song from the beginning

Β 

The waa waa guitars, the drum opening, the Spanish, the lyrics, that damn outro

Β 

i like how a user said they missed the intensityΒ 

Β 

I kinda see what they mean, I kinda want Lana to remember who the fuck she is and it’s that bitch

Β 

her recentΒ actions have showed me that she is more confident than ever, and she’s thriving through her renewed love for fashion and her being an absolute baddieΒ 

Β 

i love yaΒ West Coast, 2014 was really something else for music FUCK:illumilana2:

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

50 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Her best song ever. I actively search for UV reaction videos on Youtube to see how casual listeners react to the tempo changeΒ and everybody is floored by it.

:true: