Dum Dum

'Ultraviolence' Album Cover Confirmed

I personally think it completely throws off the balance in the cover if she had both on it. Although it's a bit bottom heavy looking maybe the font size is the real issue. Her previous album covers were balanced because they were well balanced. BTD had a good cover because the outfit and her lips matched the font colors, Paradise balanced out because of the palm trees. The cover for Ultra throws off that balance and if she was in the center it would better.

I presume you're a sucker for symmetry right :P ?  I agree with your point but think of this a curveball. It's kind of ridiculous for us to assume that all her future album covers will feature the same central positioning with her name on the same upper half and the album name on the lower half. She's mixing things up subtly.

Someone says "Why there is not the LANA DEL REY in the background of the cover ?". I was thinking of something : maybe Lana doesn't want to be only listen by fans. Maybe she "hides" her name to seduce some new people. The media tarnish her image, and without her name, some people would get this album without thinking "Oh, it's this stupid Lana Del Rey. Fuck that shit". It's like a reborn... I'm going to far. -_-

It's just a supposition

I like this idea! I have a suggestion too- maybe there's a cardboard CD cover sleeve that has 'LANA DEL REY' cut out of it. Who knows lol.

I presume you're a sucker for symmetry right :P ?  I agree with your point but think of this a curveball. It's kind of ridiculous for us to assume that all her future album covers will feature the same central positioning with her name on the same upper half and the album name on the lower half. She's mixing things up subtly.

Not necessarily, I love it but if the cover font was slightly smaller I would like it more. I hope all her future covers for UV are like this.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Someone says "Why there is not the LANA DEL REY in the background of the cover ?". I was thinking of something : maybe Lana doesn't want to be only listen by fans. Maybe she "hides" her name to seduce some new people. The media tarnish her image, and without her name, some people would get this album without thinking "Oh, it's this stupid Lana Del Rey. Fuck that shit". It's like a reborn... I'm going to far. -_-

It's just a supposition

The backlash was a US ordeal and IMO today Lana Del Rey is a great brand. What happened to her career in US is the opposite equivalent of what happened (or how she was judge/perceived) in other territories.

I assume that cover is a sarcastic take on a couple subjects including the album name. A serene, simply cover for an album called Ultraviolence is great if you ask me. It's intriguing. Lana is a better advertiser than people give her credit for. IMO has nothing to do with her thinking her name wouldn't attract buyers which was already proven wrong with 2 sold European Tours and 1 sold out South American tour. Her brand is already established as a international singer. I assume she wants more space in the US territory, is her country after all and the inspiration to most of her songs, but I don't think Lana would think her name would be a repellent even in US.

glgcDdT.gif

I don't know, the text for ULTRAVIOLENCE is pretty bold, and compared to AKALG, BTD, and Paradise, I don't really see how it sticks out like a sore thumb save for the black and white look (which I do like.) I also do agree that there's a bit of an empty space (mostly in the top-left corner) that makes the balance a bit awkward, but I think it is a very quaint album/single cover. But I think as far as attracting sales go, I do think some people are underrating the power of simple marketing.

I mean, the whole concept of decked-out and abstract album art is pretty common, the last time I was shopping and ventured into the music section (mostly to just see if any Lana albums would be lurking about,) there was a lot of that going on. Album art like this does end up sticking out in the sea of funky colors or over-the-top album art themes. Someone could just as easily be looking, and be like, "Oh, wow, this one's different, really simple... the girl's really attractive...hmmm, 'ULTRAVIOLENCE'... 'Sad Girl,' 'Money Power Glory,' 'Fucked My Way Up to the Top?' Haha, shit, why not!?" And buy it.

I'm not knocking off anyone's opinion on the album art, I totally get why some people don't care for it. ULTRAVIOLENCE certainly gave me different ideas of what the album cover would look like, I think I love it so much because it wasn't what I was expecting. But on the bright side, people are always crafting some pretty boss fan-art for the albums. Also, I really, really like @@DWould's way of thinking explaining why the album art doesn't have Lana's name in the background. Attracting sales through enigma. Nice!

Paradise's cover was nowhere as iconic as BTD's, though -- if you ask me, anyway.

It was a perfect representation of the album's mood and sound though, specially for BE, BD and American

It was a perfect representation of the album's mood and sound though, specially for BE, BD and American

Sure, but it was also quite the rehash -- which is understandable, given it was an "extension" of BTD, but still.

*remains deluded about how iconic the AKA cover is*

rihKQ8M.gif

The page you requested is no longer available or has been moved :(

nvm, just found it. that cover is fan made. http://www.chaos.com/CD/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-deluxe-edition/dp/13864258

Edited by Pale Moonlight

I recall LDR mentioning that she likes a "colliding world" aesthetic where she juxtaposes conflicting or inconsistent ideas. This was an early interview, which I could not refind, so maybe I just hallucinated it, but even so it's an interesting way to think about her work. Early album names like "Rock me stable" make sense to me in this regard. With "Sirens" it's the double meaning of the word sirens (lethally beautiful mythological women/police sirens). AKA's cover is a bit of a hot mess, though I suppose the racing jacket over the glittery bra/glamour-gown is a kind of a colliding world statement. The Born to Die cover is my favorite. It strikes me as preacher's daughter's attitude (harsh, almost prudish stare), but then there's that smoking red bra underneath the starched white shirt. This is the red vs. white LDR duality (that @@DeadAgainst talks about) manifesting at the same time. Paradise is the most of a stretch for me. Maybe it's the word paradise combined with her bitchy expression, or maybe it's the palm trees combined with the man-made pool. Or maybe it just doesn't work. Finally, Ultraviolence is the juxtaposition of a serene Lana (if somewhat stark and skull-like, in terms of the shape of the face) with a title that many have pointed out is a non-sequiter for a visual. However, in this context it's a sequiter. While I wonder (with @@PrettyBaby) what the ultraviolence is and suspect it is emotional/psychological, I also wonder whether she'll be on the receiving vs. giving side of it (at least some of her unreleased like songs like serial killer and she's not me depict the latter).

Finally, again count your blessings, if Lorde is the "anti-pop star", her debut album cover really sucked (but it probably didn't hurt her sales any). So the UV cover could also be taken as a kind of "anti-Lorde" album cover: a brand name, so familiar it doesn't even need a name, stepping out of a more-expensive-to-maintain-than-buy bit of oppulence -- that is if you know that's her vintage Mercedes she was getting out of. 

It's still not confirmed by Lana or anyone from the label?

I really hope it's not the album cover.

I like the shot, but it looks like a photo from or taken for the instagram. It looks pretty fan-made or unfinished.