lflflflflflflflflflf

Shades Of Cool

19 minutes ago, Elle said:

I agree it’s likely not Bonnie especially since that word uses a short o vowel sound (BAW-nee) where the word she’s using has a long o vowel sound like pony (POE-nee)

Again, likely not peony since that word doesn’t utilise a short nor long o vowel sound and begins with a long e vowel sound which isn’t heard in the word Lana sings (PEE-uh-nee)

Also in that live as many others, she only says “cruel” before aptitude but “cool” for the rest.

I like analysing stuff like this bc my actual job is to transcribe audio, so sometimes I have to do a lot of playing back the clips to figure out what people are saying, especially when the recordings aren’t clear. So this is good practice for my job I get paid for skkk it’s like a little puzzle x

I would also note that those lyric booklets aren’t always the most reliable. For example, in Florida Kilos it lists the lyric as “sun in my mouth and gold hoops” where in live versions she’s said gum, gold, or just simply moaned. In the studio version, I don’t think it’s clear enough either to be determined as “sun.” I think sometimes even Lana doesn’t know what she’s saying skkk x

(also I think the booklet you linked may just be a fanmade one rather than the official digital booklet?)

i love you ellen she says cruel heart cruel hands cruel aptitude though

she is talking about a violent man with them beating hands

just listen how she pronounces it the same 3 times but for the last cruel before aptitude she has more time to sing it so it's more emphasised

also for the structure of the song it doesn't make sense to switch it up

shades of blue... describes the shades of blue (eyes, jazz, attitude)

shades of cruel... describes the shades of cruel 

you get the point 

she only uses cool for the chorus

(i would listen really closely to what she says before HANDS)

oh and those booklet lyrics are wrong and fanmade 

15 minutes ago, 111 said:

i love you ellen she says cruel heart cruel hands cruel aptitude though

she is talking about a violent man with them beating hands

just listen how she pronounces it the same 3 times but for the last cruel before aptitude she has more time to sing it so it's more emphasised

also for the structure of the song it doesn't make sense to switch it up

shades of blue... describes the shades of blue (eyes, jazz, attitude)

shades of cruel... describes the shades of cruel 

you get the point 

she only uses cool for the chorus

(i would listen really closely to what she says before HANDS)

oh and those booklet lyrics are wrong and fanmade 

I agree it would make more context in the song, but I really don’t think she’s saying it all 4 times despite that. Lana’s “r”s and “s”s are a bit sharper when she says them, and for the first three “cool”s the word is more rounded. Plus if you look at her mouth, she changes shape for “cruel” vs the three previous “cools.” Her mouth bounces more while saying “cool” as she doesn’t need to scrunch her lips together as much as she does when she says “cruel”

anyway I need to sleep now bc this has been a good reminder that I’ll actually need to be doing this for several hours tomorrow for my real non-Lana job :deadbanana: :noir:

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

1 minute ago, Elle said:

I agree it would make more context in the song, but I really don’t think she’s saying it all 4 times. Lana’s “r”s and “s”s are a bit sharper when she says them, and for the first three “cool”s the word is more rounded. Plus if you look at her mouth, she changes shape for “cruel” vs the three previous “cools.” Her mouth bounces more while saying “cool” as she doesn’t need to scrunch her lips together as much as she does when she says “cruel”

anyway I need to sleep now bc this has been a good reminder that I’ll actually need to be doing this for several hours tomorrow for my real non-Lana job :deadbanana: :noir:

she is a nightmare!! stop changing your lyrics every live performance and start putting the correct ones, ALL OF THEM, on your booklets! i hate her! 

1 minute ago, 111 said:

she is a nightmare!! stop changing your lyrics every live performance and start putting the correct ones, ALL OF THEM, on your booklets! i hate her! 

The fact this thread exists: 

anyway goodnight forreal xoxo

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

1 hour ago, Elle said:

Edit: yes, the booklet linked is fanmade. The official booklet didn’t contain full lyrics but only excerpts, which even then still weren’t reliable. Here’s an official page with an excerpt for Ultraviolence where it incorrectly lists “passion” instead of “poison” -

B54-F4-ED4-7-E93-4188-B4-E3-0-A3-AD04-E6-E01

It looked so real :toofloppy:, but I could have recognized it from the wrong cover photo.

But what is really reliable? She can also sing her own texts wrong, you never know.

11 hours ago, 111 said:

there is no bonnie just watch the live performances 

Idk I still hear Bonnie

And it makes more sense in my opinion considering the chorus of Sad Girl:

His Bonnie on the side, Bonnie on the side
Makes me a sad, sad girl

I'm still pretty sure that the lyric is "I'm one of many peonies blue" :whatever2: Although for years I heard "one of many ponies blue"

imageproxy.jpg

I personally think the lyric in the studio version is “Bonnie,” echoing @Frangipani’s connection of it to Sad Girl’s lyrics (Lana also likened Shades of Cool and Sad Girl here). 

“I’m one of many Bonnies blue” may also be a play-on-words of the Bonnie Blue Flag, which makes sense as a reference for Lana, given its roots in American war history. 

I think she just pronounces it rather sultry in the song, so that’s why it’s difficult to discern. In the live version, she definitely switches it up to say “ponies” — but Lana always does that with lyrics, as others have pointed out. 

so we can't trust the booklets, we can't trust our ears, we can't trust HER :icant: someone should've asked her that instead of the dragon whore lyric in FMWUTTT

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

YOUUUU-OOOOUUUU-OUUU-OU ARE UNFIXXXXXXXABLLLLLEEEEE

imagine someone saying that to you in Lana's singy voice

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

On 8/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, IanadeIrey said:

I personally think the lyric in the studio version is “Bonnie,” echoing @Frangipani’s connection of it to Sad Girl’s lyrics (Lana also likened Shades of Cool and Sad Girl here). 

“I’m one of many Bonnies blue” may also be a play-on-words of the Bonnie Blue Flag, which makes sense as a reference for Lana, given its roots in American war history. 

I think she just pronounces it rather sultry in the song, so that’s why it’s difficult to discern. In the live version, she definitely switches it up to say “ponies” — but Lana always does that with lyrics, as others have pointed out. 

wait what? I've only ever heard " i'm one of many, one is blue" because she's talking about the multiple women in his life, which could be allusion to herself having different sides to her. "i'm one of many of his women, one who's blue" meaning herself, she's blue because of him but he doesn't know that side of her because she can't break through his world. 

hmmmm

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole