Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Hey guys I just thought, what was again the reason she and the cop broke up? Was it because of fame? Because I've got this feeling she started talking about the burden of fame since COCC, and extended it to BB, things like "the simple life I chose this", deleting the media, "dark but just a game", etc.

Β 

I mean I always took it as something she would say to the critics but maybe she started rethinking fame since all of that happen with Sean. I mean, if the reason they broke up was fame.Β 

tumblr_pdttwcdZss1v75vie_500.png

21 minutes ago, cherrysadwine said:

Hey guys I just thought, what was again the reason she and the cop broke up? Was it because of fame? Because I've got this feeling she started talking about the burden of fame since COCC, and extended it to BB, things like "the simple life I chose this", deleting the media, "dark but just a game", etc.

Β 

I mean I always took it as something she would say to the critics but maybe she started rethinking fame since all of that happen with Sean. I mean, if the reason they broke up was fame.Β 

We don't know why they broke up but even back on the Honeymoon album she sang about her dislike of being famous on God Knows I Tried.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, cherrysadwine said:

Β 

Β 

Yeah, we don't know why, but when she had her IG, he still followed her and liked pretty much all of her posts. He still follows Charlie and Chuck, too.Β 

4 hours ago, wlidatheart said:

LONGGGG time lurker first time poster.. do you guys have any idea who shes talking about at the end of this interview.. rob maybe?

Β 

Edit: the serving our communities line really stuck out to me because from what i gathered available online when he was sober rob was involved with road recovery, a program for addicts.

could be "K":

https://lanadelrey.fandom.com/wiki/K

38 minutes ago, wlidatheart said:

I've read up on the K theories and I still kinda think hes not real and just a conglomerate of her "bad boy" type.. that whole interview is really good recommend to anyone who hasn't seen.Β 

I've always thought that K was kind of a mix of attributes of different guys, or that the drive by/jail references were a metaphor, which could make people like Josh Kemp or Rob more likely to be K if he never actually went to prison or was put on death row

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β imageproxy.jpg

To echo the talk about K, I’veΒ actually always thought he was a real, living person!Β :gasp:
Β 

There is the obvious reference to him in the two β€œFor K” tracks, but I believe the story about his death.Β For one, the entire record being calledΒ Born to DieΒ is even more chilling when you add that piece to the whole pie. Lana has said before that it’s in reference to how her existence was overshadowed by awareness of her own mortality as a child β€” which was fleetinglyΒ eased upon experiencing true love β€” but given the subject matter of songs like the title track, Blue Jeans, Video Games, Dark Paradise, and Summertime Sadness, it really seems like thereΒ was a literal loss and Lana is reconciling these worlds of love and death.Β 

I think the β€œK” trilogy of BTD, BJ, and VG is interesting, though, because we know VG’s verses are about Josh, but the choruses are about how she wishedΒ things went withΒ someone else (and perhaps she can only wish, because he’s no longer here). BJ suggests a tumultuous road, the result of which sees Lana vow to love him till the end of time (perhapsΒ in a way that honours someone whose spirit lives on in your memories, in your heart, etc.). And BTD is the thesis statement that precedes these two tracks β€” the first verse sees Lana touch upon the afterlife, where she hopes she’ll be reunited with him.Β 
Β 

I also found it telling that in a 2012 interview, Lana was asked if the boy in question knew about these songs, to which she replied β€œhe doesn’t know β€” his mother knows.” I’ll put itΒ in the spoiler below.Β 
Β 

Spoiler

Β 

Now, Josh has never really fallen out ofΒ contact with Lana (as we have seen photos of them together around the early 2000s, in 2009, in 2011, in 2012, Lana posted about his engagement in 2018, and Josh has posted several times about how he inspired Video Games) β€” so I really do think that this person’s fate as described in Lana’s songs is legitimate and true.

Β 

But alas, I think this will remain one of the most elusive Lana mysteries unless she herself opens up about it. It’sΒ her story to tell, and if she does choose to tell it, I know it’ll be insightful and moving.Β 

40 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

To echo the talk about K, I’veΒ actually always thought he was a real, living person!Β :gasp:
Β 

There is the obvious reference to him in the two β€œFor K” tracks, but I believe the story about his death.Β For one, the entire record being calledΒ Born to DieΒ is even more chilling when you add that piece to the whole pie. Lana has said before that it’s in reference to how her existence was overshadowed by awareness of her own mortality as a child β€” which was fleetinglyΒ eased upon experiencing true love β€” but given the subject matter of songs like the title track, Blue Jeans, Video Games, Dark Paradise, and Summertime Sadness, it really seems like thereΒ was a literal loss and Lana is reconciling these worlds of love and death.Β 

I think the β€œK” trilogy of BTD, BJ, and VG is interesting, though, because we know VG’s verses are about Josh, but the choruses are about how she wishedΒ things went withΒ someone else (and perhaps she can only wish, because he’s no longer here). BJ suggests a tumultuous road, the result of which sees Lana vow to love him till the end of time (perhapsΒ in a way that honours someone whose spirit lives on in your memories, in your heart, etc.). And BTD is the thesis statement that precedes these two tracks β€” the first verse sees Lana touch upon the afterlife, where she hopes she’ll be reunited with him.Β 
Β 

I also found it telling that in a 2012 interview, Lana was asked if the boy in question knew about these songs, to which she replied β€œhe doesn’t know β€” his mother knows.” I’ll put itΒ in the spoiler below.Β 
Β 

Β  Reveal hidden contents

Β 

Now, Josh has never really fallen out ofΒ contact with Lana (as we have seen photos of them together around the early 2000s, in 2009, in 2011, in 2012, Lana posted about his engagement in 2018, and Josh has posted several times about how he inspired Video Games) β€” so I really do think that this person’s fate as described in Lana’s songs is legitimate and true.

Β 

But alas, I think this will remain one of the most elusive Lana mysteries unless she herself opens up about it. It’sΒ her story to tell, and if she does choose to tell it, I know it’ll be insightful and moving.Β 

shes the most interesting lady ever and youre right we really won't know until she decides to share.. there are just so much interesting stuff about rob that keeps me going back to him.. being her opposite zodiac sign (capricorn), his favorite holiday being the 4th of july, him being involved with music too, his affinity for the moon. its so fun to speculate!!

On 10/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, cherrysadwine said:

Β 

i think "the simple life i chose this" refers to her "normal" life outside of the upper rings of the industry and fame. it more is meant to express her anger against media and papz (DBJAG - "the cameras have flashes / their causing car crashes / but i'm not a star") rather than her relationship w/ sean. tbh i don't think she went too deep into their relationship on BB and ppl take a lot of her comments about the media here and supplant it on her love life. specifically, i don't think VFR is a breakup song for a relationship with any man but her relationship with the media. though i get theirs probably layers to it/multiple meanings

small-sq-lana-del-rey-ultraviolence.gife4d193ad6825522455102e1518efe3d6835b52da

I found it interesting that 'LA Who Am I to Love You' and 'Mulholland Queen' by Jonathan Wilson (whomΒ Lana allegedly dated in 2016) share similar lines –

Β 

LA Who Am I to Love You

With towering eucalyptus trees that sway in my dominion
Not you at your worst
Totally on fire, unlivable, unbreathable, I need you

Β 

Mulholland Queen

Under those big eucalyptus'
Where your grasses are green
Where you sway under the heavens
And your dominion is every...
Star

Β 

The poem is obviously more self-reflective than about a relationship, but I wonder what the significance of that mirrored imagery is – perhaps a personal reference that only sheΒ and Jonathan know about?Β 

2 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I found it interesting that 'LA Who Am I to Love You' and 'Mulholland Queen' by Jonathan Wilson (whom Lana allegedly dated in 2016) share similar lines –

Nice catch! And I don't think you can say there's anything 'alleged' about them dating.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

3 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

Nice catch! And I don't think you can say there's anything 'alleged' about them dating.

Thank you! And I just threw that in there for safety lolΒ :PΒ 

I know they were always spotted together and lyrics from both of them revealΒ it, but it was one of those relationships Lana never outright confirmed!

5 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

I found it interesting that 'LA Who Am I to Love You' and 'Mulholland Queen' by Jonathan Wilson (whomΒ Lana allegedly dated in 2016) share similar lines –

Β 

LA Who Am I to Love You

With towering eucalyptus trees that sway in my dominion
Not you at your worst
Totally on fire, unlivable, unbreathable, I need you

Β 

Mulholland Queen

Under those big eucalyptus'
Where your grasses are green
Where you sway under the heavens
And your dominion is every...
Star

Β 

The poem is obviously more self-reflective than about a relationship, but I wonder what the significance of that mirrored imagery is – perhaps a personal reference that only sheΒ and Jonathan know about?Β 

She sings the back vocals on 'Living on Myself' on the same album. Maybe she also helped writing some songs, like on Jack's last Bleachers album.

The geographical references in this song remind me a bit of Arcadia. :-)

Β 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:21 PM, lili said:

My humble impression from what I’ve gathered from songs rumored to be about Jimmy GneccoΒ is that they are indeed about him being dismissive of her. I think they knew each other, but not that well. Lana might have come too strong on him, as least that’s what I gather from Facebook posts and lyrics. He doesn’t seem to be a narcissistΒ though, he simply may have not liked her.

pic.png

I wonder who IYLDWM is about or if she's just singing aboutΒ aΒ hypothetical ex boyfriend she made up for artistic purposesΒ :eartha2:

On 10/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, cherrysadwine said:

Β 

Sean said in her interview that their hectic schedules made it hard to get some time together…

(i mentioned this in another thread) does anybody else feel like "bel air" could be alluding to "k" or whoever this mysterious dead boyfriend figure is? something which i feel like stands out is the lyric "i know your name", i thought of "k" when i heard this lyric because obviously nobody really knows his name, except for her, & obviously the heavenly/afterlife themes in the song would also fit this theory

WGe8ynS.gif