Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

What songs do we think are about Barrie? Ik California, Black Beauty, and The Blackest Day are speculated to be about him but any other songs? Including unreleased? 

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

On 2/15/2023 at 10:53 PM, Surf Noir said:

i believe i read somewhere here recently that there was a blog-post by arthur lynn where he talked about his love for diet mountain dew, he said that he deleted his diet mountain dew myspace account after a fight with his ex-girlfriend, which may have been lizzy

now that i think about it, the timeline of her relationships during the lizzy grant era is a bit confusing, but this is what i think it is

we don't know a lot about her relationships during the first few months of 2007, but she did perform with steven mertens in may, 2007, it's actually a myth that they performed "when i'm with you" at this show, that was clarified by be free/lisandro, so they could've just been friends during that may performance, it's more likely that the recording of when i'm with you is from fall, 2007, i believe she started dating arthur lynn during the middle of 2007/summer of 2007, since it seems like everything involving "the rich whores" took place during that time, i believe lana and steven mertens were together during the fall months of 2007 since it seems like a majority of the material they did together were from the fall of 2007 (for example, the mermaid motel demo is from september, 2007, and the trash magic demo, i believe? is from november, 2007) i think she started dating reeve carney in december of 2008 and their relationship continued into 2008, here's them together on new year's eve, 2007

FvZFqA4.jpg

here's them together, during, what i assume is, january of 2008

3aGmRiD.jpg

he also appears in the sixth version of the gramma music video which mostly features clips from the trailer park tour video which we currently don't have, i really don't know exactly when she filmed the trailer park tour video, but it would've been 2008, at some point when she was living at the trailer park (perhaps this is what she meant when she mentioned romances entering the trailer park in the trailer park interview? :creepna3:)

not quite sure when mike mizrahi entered the picture, but the earliest mention of him that i could find was this tweet he made 

Screenshot-of-January-18--2009-post-by-Michael-Mizrahi-on-Lizzy-Grant-s-personal-Facebook-account

he also interviewed her on february 9th, 2009, which can be found in the early interviews thread, it doesn't seem obvious to me that they were a couple at the time, but maybe they got together at a later time after knowing each other

You’re just… so precious 

On 2/23/2023 at 1:45 AM, taco truck said:

What songs do we think are about Barrie? Ik California, Black Beauty, and The Blackest Day are speculated to be about him but any other songs? Including unreleased? 

cruel world, shades of cool, terrence

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

On 1/28/2023 at 12:19 AM, Party Favor said:

Lana was so real for lying as much as she did bc lying to strangers is so fun like what are you gonna do? Say I’m lying? I’ll just create another lie to cover it up :oprah3:

edit: this thread is what got me to create an account so I’ll forever hold it close to my heart ❤️ 

I totally think Lana is still a liar and the last big lie she told in my opinion was claiming she had a stylist sew a plastic layer into that mask :thumb2:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

1 hour ago, burthday kake said:

a crazy insane damn near sociopath masterpost on who I think K is, could all be wrong, is speculation obviously but here we go

& don't open * this* spoiler (rest are safe to open) if you haven't listened to Fingertips yet because ...well yeah

so in Fingertips we obviously got the line about Aaron Greene:

Hide contents

all i wanted to do was kiss Aaron Greene

and sit by the lake twisting lime into the drinks that they make

have a babe at 16

the town i was wed in & die

this interested me immediately, some users found a Aaron Greene of Lake Placid who died in a car accident, seems pretty legit of course as it is Lana's hometown & especially followed up by the lyric about being 16.... you'd think it has to be someone she knows from her childhood years

but as I googled Aaron Greene New York myself I come across all this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aaron-greene-update-nyc-man-pleads-guilty-in-greenwich-village-explosives-case-gets-7-years-in-prison/

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2013/07/greenwich-village-bomb-enthusiast-gets-plea-deal.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2260189/Greenwich-Village-heroin-junkie-bomb-maker-Aaron-Greene-planned-blow-arch-Washington-Square-Park.html

D8-C38-F3-F-0-B8-C-446-D-841-A-452-BA4-E1-A253.jpg 063407-C3-9155-4-AE4-95-ED-183-E245750-DD.jpg

Aaron Greene(pictured) was 32 when he was arrested in 2013, which means he would have been 18/19 ish ? when Lana was 16 in 2001, so it wouldn't have been impossible for them to know each other- maybe they were in similar scenes in New York at that point.

by 16 Lana had already been off to boarding school for a couple years n everything so she was long out of Lake Placid by then

of course a fair thing would be 'but how is he K, he only got arrested in 2013, the K songs date way back to 2005/6 Sirens years

well, this wasn't his first crime & there is proof of one dating back to that exact year, 2005, that landed him in prison for a year:

Hide contents

4167-E5-A1-3121-4-CAF-83-E4-E97-C95-FEC3

https://gothamist.com/news/boyfriend-claims-explosives-in-west-village-apt-were-experimental-fireworks

now if we look at lyrics in For K Pt 1 (Drive By) in relation to that:

Hide contents

It was a drive-by sunday night,
Most of us were in bed alright
I turned down the light,
Then I heard the sirens interrupt the silence

Is this what you wished,
To commit a crime?
Is this what you wished,
To commit a crime?
Is this what you wished,
To commit a crime, commit a crime, commit a crime?

You was a nice guy, really bright,
Making money's hard to do right
Guilty was his plight,
Now he's in a jail cell first some 30 years now

most of it adds up, of course the  "30 years" doesn't but you'd expect an artist like Lana to mix in some fiction w fact.

it could even simply allude to 1 year without him feeling like 30.

as mentioned above, in 2012 he was also in jail for 5 months, I couldn't find out which jail he served his time for those 2 incidents in, unfortunately

but here we see that he served his time in 2013 for all the explosives in Rikers Island...reminding me of Off To The Races

though i am aware of OTTR being released in 2011 n probably written 2010 earliest, i don't think it would be a reach to imagine he was always sent off to Rikers Island in 2005 too, as a NY resident:

Hide contents

90644280-79-AD-4111-8414-F74-BF247-B6-AE

he is said to be a  a heroin addict/'junkie' & greenwich village resident & "hippie" of some sort, lmao

063407-C3-9155-4-AE4-95-ED-183-E245750-DD.jpg 

HEROIN ADDICT:

Jump: 'you are a junkie in your window smiling wide'

Heroin'I'm flying to the moon again, dreaming about heroin, how it gave you everything and took your life away'

+ ofc pretty much any unreleased lyric about her man being big into taking n dealing drugs

>idk if this guy is still in jail or what but it's quite possible even if/when he got out, he went back to the drugs & they eventually  killed him (because of course we hear a lot about K being dead now in her songs) or it could be a metaphor- although the drugs did not physically kill him, they killed him spiritually , emotionally etc & led to his downfall n life of crime/imprisonment

I can't find anything else about this guy online (its for the best) so he could be dead or in jail still or rehabilitating himself idfk

HIPPIE:

i mean i don't know about this one... sure he is giving "he's a fire eater, he's a cult leader, he's a big believer in anything from the seventies" vibes physically i wont lie shfdbjvksj but she namedrops Jim in that song tho so...? Probably about someone else, the AA guy or whatever. 

nonetheless,  imo, we know Lana has been into types who physically look similar to this Aaron Greene

then we have GREENWICH, an unreleased song suspected to be written/recorded around 2010:

Hide contents

Are you back in Greenwich, droppin' acid?
Are you at the Archive, watchin' television?
Did you leave for Battery with your weed?
And your leather, lookin' like Ray Gillen?
Are you still the king of rock 'n' roll, babe?
Bet you miss hearin' me sing, calling me Lana
And did you take your run today
Along that West Side Highway?
Do you miss your baby mama?
Blue hydrangea
Will my forever love never come back to me?

includes lines about him living in Greenwich/being away from there (in jail?), doing drugs, them knowing each other during her bar scenes in new york & of course him being taken away from her

Blue hydrangea->Old Money ->Trailer Park Lizzy Grant days btw.

as well as:

I remember everything
The diamond horseshoe, wedding ring, and the tiara

>One more fingertips spoiler sorry:

Hide contents

"The town I was wed in & die" being mentioned after the Aaron Greene namedrop in the song is kind of ??????? now

from a 2009 performance, before the final 2 times he went to jail:

Hide contents

AA55-A4-E8-83-BC-4-ADC-83-BE-CB6-E0-D293

they could've been together in this time

& now we can also get into For K Pt 2

specifically the lines "The way your hair come down, it make you look older- How you get that so handsome, my boy?"

this implying the man, K, is not actually much older than Lana- as I posted above they only have a 2-3 year age gap

his hair is on the longer side for a man too, we see that in pictures above

Hide contents

this is a lot more on the silly/ stupid side but I realised aaron+greene is 11 letters & K is the 11th letter in the alphabet, so maybe that is why she picked it as his sort of 'disguise' in her discog?

& last but not least I'll quote from OP's post:

"Conclusion: To put the pieces together, Lana met K in her Sirens era, which coincides with her teenage alcoholic era, it would appear. She plainly states he committed a crime bad enough for death row, which is usually reserved for murderers. With references to being focused on money in both “For K” and “Blue Jeans”, to call him a drug dealer wouldn’t be such a stretch, although you could also infer that he was in the mafia. From there we’re making a lot of assumptions, but that’s what this analysis business entails. Possibly the biggest thorn in my ass: no one actually knows who K is, or if K is even a name"

other songs worth looking into & drawing comparisons with r probably: blue jeans, TV in black&white, kill kill, dark paradise

Hide contents

this has like no structure whatsoever, so sorry about that, I'm gonna do some slight editing after I post probably

but i tried to keep it as brief as possible(this was hard as shit)

& I'm open to being debunked as fake news etc etc but no one take the piss out of me too hard cause this is legit what this thread is for:really:

like one part of me feels like damn there are so many subtle connections????? 

but another is like.....coincidence exists n she must know these articles r out there so if it was him would she rly sing about it?

but then again she doesn't give a fuck anymore clearly lolol

but also.......what if shes rly just meaning the innocent lake placid guy 

cause yeah he died in a car crash n i get fingertips strongly focuses on deaths, 

especially undeserved ones like her uncles

im kinda a dumbass idk but compiling all this took like 30 minutes so

walter-white-falling.gif

girl STOP- :excited: i also have a theory that k was mentioned in fingertips 

ok so i'm not the most articulated person in english but i need to let these thoughts out:

for k, pt. 1/drive-by

It was a drive-by Sunday night

Most of us were in bed all right

I turned down the light

Then I heard the sirens

Interrupt the silence

Is this what you wished

To commit a crime?

K's a friend of mine

I think about him as he does time

Miss his white wine

Funny I don't feel free

Even though it's not me

Is this what you wished

To leave me behind?

for k, pt. 2

I like the way you wear your sweater off your shoulder

The way your hair come down, it make you look older

How you get that so handsome, my boy?

Oh, mmm

my theory is that k was lana's childhood friend, most likely her neighbour, not much older. she probably grew up with him, at a certain age started developing a crush on him. he was probably her first "love".

him being of course problematic, "chasing for that paper", abusing drugs, committing crimes and in general being a bad influence on her during their teenage years (pre-boarding school).

pt. 1 to me reads as if the police arrived to arrest him at his place, lana being his neighbour could hear the sirens from her room. she most likely never got the chance to see him again after they took him.

she probably had many questions, "what did he do?", "why did he do it?". he was a "nice guy", he was her friend, her first love, why did he leave her?

she keeps asking him "is this what you wished...?", questions she never got to make him directly and never got the answers to. imagine then hearing through the news that your childhood friend and first love was found guilty for double homicide and later sent on to death row.

are you still with me? i think these lines in fingertips might be about k

Spoiler

When I was 15, naked 
Next door neighbors did a drive-by
Pulled me up by my waist
Long hair, to the beach side 
I wanted to go out like you… 

she did say something about explaining everything from the beginning. if k is real then to me it makes sense that she's mentioning him in fingertips too.

also, not defending lana's mom, but if one of my daughter's only friends (we know lana used to struggle socially back then) and probably first boyfriend turns out to be a criminal and a bad influence on my daughter, with her developing problems with alcohol and also undiagnosed mental health issues, i mean... not hard to see why she would want to send lizzy away to boarding school.

i know those lines are open to many interpretations but anyways thanks for reading my fanfiction  :air:

2 minutes ago, Kiki de Montparnasse said:

ok so i'm not the most articulated person in english but i need to let these thoughts out:

for k, pt. 1/drive-by

I turned down the light

Then I heard the sirens

Interrupt the silence

Is this what you wished

To commit a crime?

K's a friend of mine

Miss his white wine

Funny I don't feel free

Even though it's not me

Is this what you wished

To leave me behind?

for k, pt. 2

Oh, mmm

my theory is that k was lana's childhood friend, most likely her neighbour, not much older. she probably grew up with him, at a certain age started developing a crush on him. he was probably her first "love".

him being of course problematic, "chasing for that paper", abusing drugs, committing crimes and in general being a bad influence on her during their teenage years (pre-boarding school).

pt. 1 to me reads as if the police arrived to arrest him at his place, lana being his neighbour could hear the sirens from her room. she most likely never got the chance to see him again after they took him.

she probably had many questions, "what did he do?", "why did he do it?". he was a "nice guy", he was her friend, her first love, why did he leave her?

she keeps asking him "is this what you wished...?", questions she never got to make him directly and never got the answers to. imagine then hearing through the news that your childhood friend and first love was found guilty for double homicide and later sent on to death row.

Reveal hidden contents

When I was 15, naked 
Pulled me up by my waist

she did say something about explaining everything from the beginning. if k is real then to me it makes sense that she's mentioning him in fingertips too.

also, not defending lana's mom, but if one of my daughter's only friends (we know lana used to struggle socially back then) and probably first boyfriend turns out to be a criminal and a bad influence on my daughter, with her developing problems with alcohol and also undiagnosed mental health issues, i mean... not hard to see why she would want to send lizzy away to boarding school.

i know those lines are open to many interpretations but anyways thanks for reading my fanfiction  :air:

WELP i literally just deleted my whole post right before you quoted because i was like honestly .. people are gonna take the piss out of me so hard for this!!

but don’t delete the quote, if i’m not in this alone i’m happy to leave it up & continue theorising! i’ll copy n paste it back into my post later too… maybe we are onto something. JSJDHSJ HELP. 

i’m out right now but i’m gonna read this all once i get home& get back to you!!!!  :true:

5 minutes ago, Kiki de Montparnasse said:

for k, pt. 1/drive-by

I turned down the light

Then I heard the sirens

Interrupt the silence

Is this what you wished

To commit a crime?

K's a friend of mine

Miss his white wine

Funny I don't feel free

Even though it's not me

Is this what you wished

To leave me behind?

for k, pt. 2

Oh, mmm

Hide contents

When I was 15, naked 
Pulled me up by my waist

I never thought of the fact that they could’ve been neighbors, but that’s such a good theory that seems plausible :oprah3:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

So who do we think that the guy she talks about on the RS is? Weird they haven’t ever been pictured. I’m sure there must some sort of a picture of them.

also was the bartender she talks about on bartender ever real or it was just some sort of a character?

10 minutes ago, Umaniac said:

So who do we think that the guy she talks about on the RS is? Weird they haven’t ever been pictured. I’m sure there must some sort of a picture of them.

also was the bartender she talks about on bartender ever real or it was just some sort of a character?

I think the bartender is just a representative of the intimate relationship Lana is attempting to have with the listener. Intimate as in, “spilling her innermost thoughts to” without much worry of you judging her. Bartenders are typically seen as a confidant in media and I’m sure real life to an extent. I mean, how many shows have a character that’s a bartender that listens and gives eye opening advice to the main character who’s going thru it? 

just my thoughts 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

21 minutes ago, Umaniac said:

I believe it’s Chase Stogel -

On 3/8/2023 at 1:06 PM, Elle said:

I believe this is referencing Chase Stogel, who she was dating on & off between 2017-2019. They were pictured together a few times over the years, but their relationship was never publicly declared and was largely secretive. I would assume much of NFR was inspired by him, especially the title track, FIILY, Cinnamon Girl, Bartender, & Happiness is a Butterfly x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS