Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Okay, so How to Disappear & Cinnamon Girl are about boxer Joe Schilling.

So, Lana stated in her livestream she wrote both of the songs song after "getting back to New York from Boston" after being "fucked up in Boston"

Nick reminded me there was a rumour of Lana going to Boston to watch her boyfriend who was coaching, which lined up during the same time period as I noticed she was in Rhode Island on October 3rd & New York October 5th with Jack, same day she shares first snippet of HTD along with video captioned "pre-recording dance"

The rumour seemed to originate from a girl who worked at a store Lana was shopping at while in Rhode Island.

Rhode Island - Oct 3 (traveling there)

Boston - Oct 4 (meltdown happened w this guy)

New York - Oct 5 (wrote HTD)

October 5th: "At the Red Sox vs Yankee play off game at Fenway Park tonight. We’ll be wishing a mother fcker would." (Fenway Park is in Boston, and Lana was there to watch him train the day before)

The man in question seems to be this boxer named Joe Schilling, who a bunch of fans attacked on instagram by commenting rats under his instagram posts on October 21st after he dragged her music & the unfollowed each other, and Lana had to tell her fans to back off.
That makes perfect sense given the lyrics: "Joe met me down at the training yard, with cuts on his face 'cause he fought too hard" (which would make sense bc he's a boxer)
& then of course the lyrics in Cinnamon Girl indicating that something went wrong with them "if you hold me without hurting me, you'll be the first who ever did"
whew that man really hurt her x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

So, Lana stated in her livestream she wrote both of the songs song after "getting back to New York from Boston" after being "fucked up in Boston"

Nick reminded me there was a rumour of Lana going to Boston to watch her boyfriend who was coaching, which lined up during the same time period as I noticed she was in Rhode Island on October 3rd & New York October 5th with Jack, same day she shares first snippet of HTD along with video captioned "pre-recording dance"

The rumour seemed to originate from a girl who worked at a store Lana was shopping at while in Rhode Island.

October 5th: "At the Red Sox vs Yankee play off game at Fenway Park tonight. We’ll be wishing a mother fcker would." (Fenway Park is in Boston, and Lana was there to watch him train the day before)

The man in question seems to be this boxer named Joe Schilling, who a bunch of fans attacked on instagram by commenting rats under his instagram posts on October 21st after he dragged her music & the unfollowed each other, and Lana had to tell her fans to back off.
That makes perfect sense given the lyrics: "Joe met me down at the training yard, with cuts on his face 'cause he fought too hard" (which would make sense bc he's a boxer)
& then of course the lyrics in Cinnamon Girl indicating that something went wrong with them "if you hold me without hurting me, you'll be the first who ever did"

omg..... it feels so strange to imagine the two of them together but hey she loves that man like nobody can he moves mountains then pounds them to ground again i guess  :smokes:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Im an MMA fan and know of him, the whole part about him fits him. Even the "getting high as they fight" it's really common for MMA fighters to get high before training particularly when doing jiu-jitsu, Joe Schilling and people he trains with are big into smoking weed.

The parts "moves mountains and" was I think a sneaky way of Lana putting MMA into the song and the part about "pounds them to ground", Ground & Pound is a big part of MMA - something Joe is actually bad at as he was a kickboxer used to stand up fighting and was quite poor on the ground and at jiu-jitsu.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ground_and_pound

Im an MMA fan and know of him, the whole part about him fits him. Even the "getting high as they fight" it's really common for MMA fighters to get high before training particularly when doing jiu-jitsu, Joe Schilling and people he trains with are big into smoking weed.

The parts "moves mountains and" was I think a sneaky way of Lana putting MMA into the song and the part about "pounds them to ground", Ground & Pound is a big part of MMA - something Joe is actually bad at as he was a kickboxer used to stand up fighting and was quite poor on the ground and at jiu-jitsu.

possible stupid question but is he the guy on the right or left??

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I just read the new NME interview where she mentions that Fuck it I love you is her most dishonest song.

• One song on ‘Norman Fucking Rockwell!’ might make you think west coast life isn’t the cure-all people make it out to be though. On ‘Fuck It, I Love You’, she sighs, “I moved to California but it’s just a state of mind/Turns out everywhere you go, you take yourself/That’s not a lie,” as if expectations of a mental glow-up post-relocation were not met. Instead, she describes it as her “most dishonest song”, sung as if it’s about herself when it’s actually about a friend. 

I could imagine that those lines might be about Barrie/ from Barries POV. He never felt 100% at home in California and took his depression with him where ever he went. But maybe it's just my mind that wants to see Barrie references everywhere.

I just read the new NME interview where she mentions that Fuck it I love you is her most dishonest song.

• One song on ‘Norman Fucking Rockwell!’ might make you think west coast life isn’t the cure-all people make it out to be though. On ‘Fuck It, I Love You’, she sighs, “I moved to California but it’s just a state of mind/Turns out everywhere you go, you take yourself/That’s not a lie,” as if expectations of a mental glow-up post-relocation were not met. Instead, she describes it as her “most dishonest song”, sung as if it’s about herself when it’s actually about a friend. 

I could imagine that those lines might be about Barrie/ from Barries POV. He never felt 100% at home in California and took his depression with him where ever he went. But maybe it's just my mind that wants to see Barrie references everywhere.

Isn't it convenient that the song about shooting up ISN'T about her? K Lanz.

I don't believe that it isn't about her. Why did she sing it in the first person? If it isn't about her, then the entire double mv makes absolutely no sense, because every single scene in it features her. There are peripheral characters, but nobody else features.

She just didn't want to have to answer questions about some of the more controversial lyrics in it, so she said that it isn't about her.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Well, authors, songwriters, poets, or whatever actually do write using the first person perspective and the texts are not about their personal life. So I still think that lines in songs can be about other people - using first person perspective. And I didn't say that the whole song is not about her because I do believe the verses are defo about her. In the lyrics she also adresses someone else:

You moved to California, but it’s just a state of mind
And you know everyone who does it
You can't feel it and you’re tired

At last it was just a thought that came to me reading the interview.

Did anyone see the singer (@rosenbergmariaa) that Barrie was promoting on his Instagram page and has been liking all her photos of? Her music totally reminds me of Lana, maybe a lil darker toned than her but similar vibe. deep, jazzy voice. vintage inspired. She's also Spanish which reminds me lots of Black Beauty lyrics. Of course not implying that they're seeing each other or hes into her just cause of some insta posts, we can't know so i'm just posturing, but it seems like lana isnt the only one who has a type!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwC-BxQhYy8/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ygIcQByNn/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2u0VfhBFBL/