Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

For the sake of believability, I'm always hunting receipts, and currently:

- The interview where she refers to "Yayo" as the prequel to "Video Games"

this is a quote from her 2012 "les inrockuptibles" interview:

Do you analyze a lot what you listen to?

I don’t analyze anything, my brain filters things in a natural way. That doesn’t serves me musically anyway. Other people’s music doesn’t inspire me for mine. Besides, I’m quite unable of describing my music, its influences. It’s just… too weird. I like it when me and my songs are one, I felt that when I wrote Video Games. Then I wrote Blue Jeans very quickly at the beach in Santa Monica, and there I knew that that would be the vibe of the album: summery and dark at the same time, the joy of the summer light and the sureness that it wouldn’t last. I immediately knew that Video Games would be an important song for me, it gave a sequel to Yayo, my first record’s last song that I loved. But I never imagined it would become so popular – it’s too long, too personal.

@@SitarHero maybe you've seen this already but not updated the OP but i'm posting it here just in case

@@SitarHero maybe you've seen this already but not updated the OP but i'm posting it here just in case

Does she mean that it's a sequel because it continues the narrative, or just because it's a second song which she truly loves?

i am nothing and should be everything

71513_625682140812319_701773361_n.jpg

what.... is that jimmy? if it is i'm truly confused. assuming that it is, when and where was this and.... idk what's up with this photo?

edit: i found the photo on his facebook... but i'm still v curious about almost every aspect of this photo

Edited by Dope in The Face

stuff

Okay, I haven't had time to respond to any of this, but I wanted to drop something that I heard.

Apparently Summertime Sadness is about a friend of hers committing suicide? A quick search shows that this is what the video depicts (I haven't watched much of her official videos). It would really knock my summer=K theory out of the water. Nevertheless, I take things she says about her songs with a grain of salt (Video Games was the first song she wrote! And it's about staying sober. But it's also a sequel to Yayo. But it's also part of a trilogy. But it's also about two different guys. she's such a complex writer gais). It makes it really hard to string together anything she says and pick out the truth in her tales. I guess that's what makes Lanalysis fun, after all.

Haven't heard the two leaked EPs yet. Curious to find more K songs on there :creep: Sirens gave us the original K song, after all.

Okay, I haven't had time to respond to any of this, but I wanted to drop something that I heard.

Apparently Summertime Sadness is about a friend of hers committing suicide? A quick search shows that this is what the video depicts (I haven't watched much of her official videos). It would really knock my summer=K theory out of the water. Nevertheless, I take things she says about her songs with a grain of salt (Video Games was the first song she wrote! And it's about staying sober. But it's also a sequel to Yayo. But it's also part of a trilogy. But it's also about two different guys. she's such a complex writer gais). It makes it really hard to string together anything she says and pick out the truth in her tales. I guess that's what makes Lanalysis fun, after all.

Haven't heard the two leaked EPs yet. Curious to find more K songs on there :creep: Sirens gave us the original K song, after all.

Sorry if it's here somewhere and I missed it, but when did she say that Summertime Sadness is about suicide?

I would love to read the quote... How many songs about suicide does she have?

Sorry if it's here somewhere and I missed it, but when did she say that Summertime Sadness is about suicide?

I would love to read the quote... How many songs about suicide does she have?

It was word of mouth, so I can't give you any sources. Wiki tells me the video shows suicide, but idk any concrete sources. Googling 'summertime sadness suicide -video" gets me a lot of... weird stuff with no interviews or helpful forum links, so I guess it's someone's conjecture. I have heard from more than one person that she mentioned a friend committed suicide and you could assume this friend is the one in SS, but I haven't been able to find a source for this.

SS, regardless of the friend/K angle, might be about suicide anyway. "I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight." Maybe Jump: "do you wanna jump?"

It was word of mouth, so I can't give you any sources. Wiki tells me the video shows suicide, but idk any concrete sources. Googling 'summertime sadness suicide -video" gets me a lot of... weird stuff with no interviews or helpful forum links, so I guess it's someone's conjecture. I have heard from more than one person that she mentioned a friend committed suicide and you could assume this friend is the one in SS, but I haven't been able to find a source for this.

SS, regardless of the friend/K angle, might be about suicide anyway. "I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight." Maybe Jump: "do you wanna jump?"

Thanks! I always thought that Jumps can be either about suicide or overdosing (or both at the same time), I wonder if there are more Lana songs that are about suicide?

Of course Dark Paradise has a pretty strong suicidal vibe, but it's kind of obvious.

Going to throw one in here, has anyone looked up Bryce s stanton? He's born in 1984 lived grew up in lake placid and may/may not now be an actor. According to the lake placid news loads of people were busted in drugs raids in 2006 and he was jailed for possession etc. Interestingly in an interview with the NY post someone named as 'Bryce stanton' is quoted as saying about the time lizzy grant/lana was sent away from lake placid to boarding school (part of an interview about SNL and her and her background) that they were friends that hang out and "they used to drink a lot and smoke pot". Could this be the one that lana said she was together with for 2 years all happy then he got into trouble and had to go away? Hmmmmmm?

Thanks! I always thought that Jumps can be either about suicide or overdosing (or both at the same time), I wonder if there are more Lana songs that are about suicide?

Of course Dark Paradise has a pretty strong suicidal vibe, but it's kind of obvious.

I don't think "Dark Paradise" is strongly suicidal, rather it has some slight suggestion: "But I wish I was dead". That means she has started thinking about her own death as a possible solution but nothing further. If she were reflecting on it seriously, there would be more hints or direct confessions. She does hallucinate and is insane but it does not automatically mean she's planning to kill herself.

I totally go for "Jump" as an example. These lyrics: "Was the last thing I saw before I died / Right line, right man / Right mixture of cocaine and heroin" IMO CLEARLY indicates overdosing on purpose. If it were an accident, the mixture wouldn't be called right. And before that, she says she's died.

"Summertime Sadness" is the clearest one I know. She describes how it feels when she's about to take her life. (It's likely by jumping off some high place, like in the music vid. The lyrics do not tell directly but it's what fits the most.) Yet eventually she decides to keep living- "Even if you're gone, I'm gonna drive, drive".

And songs that mention the word directly: "Suicide's her [Heaven's] father" ("Body Electric"), "And I'm your suicide blonde", "Are we gonna be true love suicide?" ("Live or Die"), "I'm your real life suicide blonde" ("She's Not Me").

And the wind I know it’s cold

I don't think "Dark Paradise" is strongly suicidal, rather it has some slight suggestion: "But I wish I was dead". That means she has started thinking about her own death as a possible solution but nothing further. If she were reflecting on it seriously, there would be more hints or direct confessions. She does hallucinate and is insane but it does not automatically mean she's planning to kill herself.

I totally go for "Jump" as an example. These lyrics: "Was the last thing I saw before I died / Right line, right man / Right mixture of cocaine and heroin" IMO CLEARLY indicates overdosing on purpose. If it were an accident, the mixture wouldn't be called right. And before that, she says she's died.

"Summertime Sadness" is the clearest one I know. She describes how it feels when she's about to take her life. (It's likely by jumping off some high place, like in the music vid. The lyrics do not tell directly but it's what fits the most.) Yet eventually she decides to keep living- "Even if you're gone, I'm gonna drive, drive".

And songs that mention the word directly: "Suicide's her [Heaven's] father" ("Body Electric"), "And I'm your suicide blonde", "Are we gonna be true love suicide?" ("Live or Die"), "I'm your real life suicide blonde" ("She's Not Me").

I agree with you about Dark Paradise. I don't think that she wants to do it, but it's still on her mind.... that's why I listed it.

I've forgotten about Body Electric, thanks!

Do you think that we should take the suicide blonde literally? It has a distinct meaning.

I guess Lana could have meant both. She likes playing with words.

Do you think that we should take the suicide blonde literally? It has a distinct meaning.I guess Lana could have meant both. She likes playing with words.

Yes, I think it's this kind of word play. I wanted to list those lyrics, even if we shouldn't take them literally.

Lana sings "You were always my type with your dark heart and your long, black hair" in I Was in a Bad Way. Do we know of any of her exes with long, black hair or could it be K?

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

Suicide blonde is a term to describe a woman who dyes her hair blonde at home or by herself rather than go to a salon, it's also an inxs song

Yeah, I think it was coined by Micheal Hutchens?

I posted a link to a urban dictionary page discussing the term :)

I read this thread and I don't remember if anyone mentioned this - The first line of You're Gonna Love Me is Jerry says that any time I think I have a good idea, that I should do the opposite of whatever it is I feel. Later in the song, she sings Jim, I dedicate this whole album to you.

I think this is an example of her mentioning two relationships in one song.

But, who's Jerry?

xx

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

Dunno if you were being serious or not, but nah, she says "He was a white English teacher... He played Biggie Smalls for me in his car" in one interview and "I heard Biggie Smalls... My best friend was my teacher, she’s still my best friend now, and she played all that stuff to me" in an interview just days later. She just lyin'.

Ditto. For me it's quite understandable - in the previous interview she recklessly mentioned her tutor's name and then she realized it was not the wisest thing to do. Besides the controversy of publishing any personal information itself, it'd be embarrassing for her if people knew for sure she had unappropriate relationship with him/fantasized about him. (Mind you she was a teenager then, it makes things diametrically different from the situations she's had with older men when she was an adult.) Thus, she was bound to try to retouch it, although unable to see that attracts attention even more. But hey, on the other hand not every Lana fan stalks her is very interested in the meaning of her lyrics so most of them will not have read carefully all the Lana interviews.

The protagonist in Franz Kafka's The Castle is called K. Just realised that the other day and felt the urge to say this.

This is what I wanted to post xD . Oh, ok, not exactly: I wanted to write about The Trial where the main character's last name is "K.". I haven't read The Castle but now I'm adding it to my to-be-read list. Anyway, that makes the K. mystery even more fascinating, although I don't know if Lana's read Kafka novels.

When it comes to Mr. Campbell, I doubt "Put Me In A Movie" is about him. My interpretation is:

This little girl theme indeed gets the song asociated with Lolita but sorry, I don't think it's about her herself. Yeah, she was quite smart and knew she could use her body to get what she wanted. Nevertheless, IMHO the song is about a girl who is ready to have sex with the director so that she gets starred in a movie. Just you know, kind of exchange. Lolita did not mean it with Q., she was just in love (she admitted that he was the only man she had ever loved when Humbert found her living with her husband) and naively she took him for someone he wasn't. She wanted to get away from her pervert "daddy" and be with Quilty, nothing about gaining a part in any movie.

Doesn't fit in Lana story at all since if she has been into Mr. Campbell it was because of sexual attraction/emotional infatuation (the way Lo felt with Quilty!).

Neither is "Lucky Ones". She sings:

Feels like, feels like, you know it feels like

Falling in love for the first time

Feels like, you know it feels like

Falling in love

If she says it "feels like" it means "it is not but it is similar". It refers to her experience, so she must have had at least some experience by then. Compare it with "Puppy Love" where she's like:

This is not a school girl crush

This is not a puppy love

So she highlights how mature the relationship seems to her what is, in fact, kinda childish but that's the way a school girl can feel. Especially if she feels she isn't like other girls 'cause she's romancing with her teacher. If it were really mature, she wouldn't need to remind it all the time.

Lana didn't start referencing Lolita until later in her career, did she? Because I don't remember hearing anything about it on Sirens, From the End or Quiet Now. It makes me think that she read Lolita when she was older, in her twenties and started fantasizing about being a teenager in a ~dangerous~ relationship with her teacher just like most of the drug/mob/prostitution references are just her fantasizing about having a more exciting life.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Lana didn't start referencing Lolita until later in her career, did she? Because I don't remember hearing anything about it on Sirens, From the End or Quiet Now. It makes me think that she read Lolita when she was older

I don't think there's any references to the novel Lolita specifically, but off the top of my head, she calls her lover "daddy" in "Pretty Baby" and "Next to Me" and "My Momma" definitely suggest relationships with much older men (and I sort of get that sense from a couple other songs even though there's nothing lyrically that specifically indicates that).

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I don't know if this has already been said, but is it possible that Put Me in a Movie is about Mike? I think I remember reading that he was older than her and I know (if I'm thinking of the right guy) that he makes movies. It might be far fetched but idk, it seemed plausible.