Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Just read some of this thread and stuff about Lana using several men in one song and I found myself thinking about that when I was listening to Terrence Loves You. And now it as a song feels more interesting because like many of Lana’s songs we can’t be sure who that really is written about but uhm

Does anyone else think that TLY could be a song that's about all of her men? She loses the man and herself along the way and finds another one to distract herself? Like we know that she is really not the type to stay single for a long time and also she has had a lot of if not real boyfriends than at least ‘speculated relations’. And many of her relationships seem to me like they change her, even if just a bit because she puts so much of her heart into them.

“I lost myself when I lost you”

sounds to me like she found a man, she feels brand new with him because you know she herself is sensitive and adapts so well into her mens’ feelings and maybe even copies their characteristics? But then the man is gone, so now she is gone too?

“But you are who you are, I won't change you for anything. When you are crazy, I'll let you be bad. I'll never dare change thee to what you are not”

her men are who they are and she doesn’t put thoughts or efforts into changing them not only because she truly cares for them but also because she finds it easier and more pleasant to just change herself?

“I still got jazz when I’ve got those blues” ‘Jazz' could be an allegory to her true self? Like she still has some of herself left that she feels most connected with whenever she gets the ‘blues’ which could mean the break up? Or ‘jazz’ as in herself, her music and art that is always there and ‘blues’ as men that come and go?

I can see this song could also could also be about Barrie or ‘K’ or Josh or whoever her ‘same goddamn person’ is but this is something I’ve been thinking bout recently. Especially since she has dated Sean.

Or who knows maybe this song is just about alcohol idk

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

Just read some of this thread and stuff about Lana using several men in one song and I found myself thinking about that when I was listening to Terrence Loves You. And now it as a song feels more interesting because like many of Lana’s songs we can’t be sure who that really is written about but uhm does anyone else think that Terrence Loves You could be about all of her men? She loses the man and herself along the way and finds another one to distract herself? Like we know that she is really not the type to stay single for a long time and she has had a lot of if not real boyfriends than at least ‘speculated relations’. And many of her relationships seem to me like they change her even just a bit because she puts so much of her heart into them.

“I lost myself when I lost you”

sounds to me like she found a man, she feels brand new with him because you know she herself is sensitive and adapts so well into her mens’ feelings and maybe even copies their characteristics? But then the man is gone, so now she is gone too?

“But you are who you are, I won't change you for anything

For when you are crazy, I'll let you be bad

I'll never dare change thee to what you are not”

her men are who they are and she doesn’t put thoughts or efforts into changing them not only because she truly cares for them but also because she finds it easier and more pleasant to just change herself?

“I still get trashed, baby, when I hear your tunes”

yeah well nobody likes a reminder of an ex after things went wrong lmao but imagine if she really changed herself because of the man but then had to let go her new self

“I still got jazz when I’ve got those blues”

‘Jazz’ could be her true self? Like she still has some of herself left that she feels most connected to when she gets the ‘blues’ which could be the break up. Or ‘jazz’ as in her own music and art that is always there and ‘blues’ as men that come and go?

I can see this song could also could also be about Barrie or ‘K’ or Josh or whoever her ‘same goddamn person’ is but this is something I’ve been thinking bout recently. Especially since she has dated Sean. Or who knows maybe this song is just about alcohol idk

Yes I fully agree it could be about a variety of the men she "dated".. also Shiny toy guns have a song called "Major Tom".. which could also include Mikey Martin?

Nothing ground-breaking, but I came to a solid conclusion that "Radio" is 100% about Barrie and here's how I summed it up:

1. In the Fader interview, it is stated that Lana and Barrie began dating right after the release of "Video Games"

Shortly after the release of “Video Games,” she started dating another musician, Barrie-James O’Neill. According to a profile of her in Nylon, he first phoned her out of the blue after his manager sent him the video with the caption “Your future ex-wife.”

https://www.thefader.com/2014/06/04/cover-story-lana-del-rey-is-anyone-she-wants-to-be

2.  In this interview, she said this about the song:

So, I just wrote it when this guy that I used to know came back into my life and... so it's like "Now my life is sweet like cinnamon" cuz, like, he came back."

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3224525245356

3. And the final piece - a barely noticed interview where she says she wrote the song right after "Video Games" started getting airplay.

Radio is a song I wrote in the middle of making the record after Fearne Cotton started playing Video Games on Radio 1. I was grateful that the song being on the radio brought some old friends back into my life — especially one person.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/bizarre/333178/when-i-write-songs-i-stand-under-the-telephone-wires-and-take-in-their-energy/

z445hpI.png

I'm still so intrigued by Talking Like an Answering Machine -- the title's all we've got, but it's an exceptionally interesting one  :dance:

EDIT: I totally meant to post this in the "That One Song You CRAVE For" thread, but made a wrong click -- I'm sleep-deprived  :toofunny:

o4qjp4j.png

wonder who the Bartender was. it’s such a cute song about escaping the eyes of the press and spending time with a guy. And I 1000% believe it’s a true story. Cause she said she was seeing someone for a while and no one knew.

He was probably just some rando.

And also what was the deal with Chase? They were together for a couple months, no?

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

wonder who the Bartender was. it’s such a cute song about escaping the eyes of the press and spending time with a guy. And I 1000% believe it’s a true story. Cause she said she was seeing someone for a while and no one knew.

He was probably just some rando.

And also what was the deal with Chase? They were together for a couple months, no?

her and chase were together for some time before nfr was released but i don't know exactly how long. according to one of lana's friends, their relationship was pretty rocky, and they kept their relationship private, she never really posted any photos with him, but i think she may of posted this photo on her story, i don't really remember.

Capture.jpg

WGe8ynS.gif

her and chase were together for some time before nfr was released but i don't know exactly how long. according to one of lana's friends, their relationship was pretty rocky, and they kept their relationship private, she never really posted any photos with him, but i think she may of posted this photo on her story, i don't really remember.

Capture.jpg

is this chase?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/17/80/a7/1780a766dbb345ad692351663686fece.jpg

Nothing ground-breaking, but I came to a solid conclusion that "Radio" is 100% about Barrie

Do we know for sure that Barrie and Lana knew each other before VG? This is the one part that doesn't fit... sounds to me like he's seen Lana for the first time in the music video.

Not sure how he would have the phone number though...

i am nothing and should be everything

Nothing ground-breaking, but I came to a solid conclusion that "Radio" is 100% about Barrie and here's how I summed it up:

1. In the Fader interview, it is stated that Lana and Barrie began dating right after the release of "Video Games"

https://www.thefader.com/2014/06/04/cover-story-lana-del-rey-is-anyone-she-wants-to-be

2. In this interview, she said this about the song:

3. And the final piece - a barely noticed interview where she says she wrote the song right after "Video Games" started getting airplay.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/bizarre/333178/when-i-write-songs-i-stand-under-the-telephone-wires-and-take-in-their-energy/

I always thought radio was about Reeve Carney

idk if anyones mentioned it yet but her unreleased song Baby Blue Love is probably also about her high school teacher. She once mentioned in an interview that this teacher would drive around with her, and she alludes to that here. The rest of the song obviously takes place in highschool/boarding school too

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

2.  In this interview, she said this about the song:

3. And the final piece - a barely noticed interview where she says she wrote the song right after "Video Games" started getting airplay.

Sorry, totally off topic, but I clicked on the Facebook video in #2 and my mom was one of the likes? What????

Also, it actually sounds like she's talking about Josh. They dated when they were young but there was also photos of them later, like roughly 2011 or so?

I'm going through my Lanz folder (which, as you can imagine, is full of absolutely crackheaded shit) and I don't remember if I ever posted this? And I just thought ... "sure, I'll post this because I enjoy being unhinged"

Her mantle:

41OpL2t.jpg

Barrie's story around the same time:

sqJQqIx.jpg

:crai:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I'm going through my Lanz folder (which, as you can imagine, is full of absolutely crackheaded shit) and I don't remember if I ever posted this? And I just thought ... "sure, I'll post this because I enjoy being unhinged"

Her mantle:

"Forget Her"

Her love is a rose, pale and dying.

Dropping her petals in land unknown

All full of wine, the world before her, was sober with no place to go.

Don't fool yourself, she was heartache from the moment that you met her.

My heart is frozen still as I try to find the will to forget her, somehow.

She's somewhere out there now.

Well my tears falling down as I try to forget,

Her love was a joke from the day that we met.

All of the words, all of her men,

All of my pain when I think back to when.

Remember her hair as it shone in the sun,

The smell of the bed when I knew what she'd done.

Tell yourself over and over you won't ever need her again.

:defeated:

Happy as the moonshine

Her mantle:

41OpL2t.jpg

sqJQqIx.jpg

when was that?

ok im in tears

:smile3: