Sign in to follow this  
veniceglitch

Lana On Cover of Clash Magazine (UK): Music 'not worth' all the bullshit?

I'm so afraid she's going to quit music after the Ultraviolence era. I have yet to see her in person and she has the best music rn imo. She can't quit. :(

I'm so afraid she's going to quit music after the Ultraviolence era. I have yet to see her in person and she has the best music rn imo. She can't quit. :(

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I have such mixed feelings about her saying that she wants to quit music. Ever since someone accused her of copying the Cobain way of handling fame, I can't stop seeing things in that light...

Don't know much about Cobain but a few people have accused her of mimicking him. 

care to elaborate?? anyone?? 

Cobain is undoutedly an important influence; she says so. But she has quite a few influences (and she says so). Anyway there is no thread I could find comparing Lana to Kurt, but there is one comparing Lana to Jim Morrison (with a LDR Doors cover in the first post that I was unaware of!).

LDR (and Barrie) seem to have a morbid obsession with the tragic loss or wasted potential, which arguably we all should have. The loss of people like Buckley, Hendrix, Joplin, Schubert, Gershwin and many others at too young an age is staggering in terms of the art that might have been.

No I don't think she ever will, that's obvious. I think she just becomes too consumed by the negative sometimes. As do some people here as well. ;)

I know what you mean, though personally, I don't have negative feelings towards Lana and this fandom at all! Everything's so lovely (for now?). Guess I'm lucky.

I'd hate to see this fandom to turn into mess that Emilie Autumn and Tori Amos fandoms are...

i am nothing and should be everything

How many times has she said she was going to quit music, to not do so? It's like a broken record at this point and if you believe it, you're being foolish. She was gonna quit after BTD, she was gonna quit after Black Beauty leaked, on and on and on and on.

She'd be a fool to do it, and she's not going to do it. Especially when she's viewed in a more positive light now. If there was a time where she was really going to quit, it would have been after the SNL appearance.

Hope you are right.

How many times has she said she was going to quit music, to not do so? It's like a broken record at this point and if you believe it, you're being foolish. She was gonna quit after BTD, she was gonna quit after Black Beauty leaked, on and on and on and on.

She'd be a fool to do it, and she's not going to do it. Especially when she's viewed in a more positive light now. If there was a time where she was really going to quit, it would have been after the SNL appearance.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

I am very invested in EWG/LDR as an artist. I have a deep emotional connection with her music and it's pretty much the only thing I listen to as far as contemporary music is concerned.

Following her career several points come to mind:

1. She loves to write music. She has said this repeatedly. Look at her catalog of leaked music as proof of this.

2. She loves to studio sing. She has also said this repeatedly. I love what she does with her vocal layering and her vocal range is pretty intense in the studio.

3. She is nervous on stage performing live. I saw her on May 8th at the Oakdale in CT and loved the show and thought her performance was amazing. But as one who suffers from social anxiety, I understand were she is coming from.

4. She is a sensitive soul and takes the negative press as personal attacks. I believe her Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator is that of an INFP, and as such, the negative press must be horrible for her. She said as much in the Fader interview. It's easy to say grow a thick skin and stop being whiney, but this is who she is. Oh, by the way, the comparisons to Cobain are not far off. He was an INFP as well.

So were does that leave us? She is an amazing woman who is a brilliant artist, song writer, and singer. But she is also a personality type (INFP) that includes the following traits:

Overly sensitive

Sad and depressed

Feels broken to the core

Prone to quitting

As a deeply devoted fan, I truly believe that she feels that her Lana Del Rey career breakthrough isn't what she thought it would be. I believe that she is surprised by the criticisms she has received and continues to receive, and I believe that she feels that the whole thing is bullshit. Her Lizzie Grant days were probably filled with more happiness than she has now. But at the same time, she can do more musically within the industry as Lana Del Rey, so it's a trade off. At the point when the bullshit gets to be to much, I think she is probably done, or at least will take a long break. Most "stars" are in it for the money or the fame. These don't seem to be motivators for her. She wants to create and she wants to be respected.

I suspect she will write music for quite some time. The question is, how much of it will we get to listen to? I feel blessed to have AKA, BTD, all her unreleased leaked stuff and now UV. Will we get more? I hope so, but I recognize that her career may be much shorter than I would like.

Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talkin' to.