lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

I did a blog post here, putting the timeline together of this albums creation.

I put pictures in wherever I could, like studio photos, etc. Also links to some of the interviews. I'd love to go back and keep updating whenever I come across more info.

It seems almost unbelievable to me that this album exists, yet at the same time I can't recall a time in which it didn't. It's all so surreal, as if Ultraviolence has always existed, transcending time and space and this angel had to grow a new heart to channel her way through the dark nooks of the soul for those who were lucky enough to happen to be there to bear witness. All my experiences before this album are imbued with it, all my future recollections will be bathed in it. It echoes the chronic emptiness and disillusionment "the flesh is heir to", yet never hopeless, always holding onto the image of "cherries in the spring", the "magnificence" of it all if we could only give up on our used-up prosthetic eye through which too much beauty goes unnoticed. This album, to me, is a lament to the beauty of the existence and the burden and the ensuing loneliness you find yourself to be laden with when you are the only one to see it all, the beauty, the sun and ocean blue. But what is to see, when it can't be shared in the way you like it to? It's limiting, depressing and violent. But she still goes on. Dancing the night away.

Sorry, I get very emotional over this particular masterpiece.

Edit: I originally wrote this entry on @Ultra Violet 's blog on UV since I wanted it to be on this thread, too. Hope that's okay.

22 minutes ago, lili said:

It seems almost unbelievable to me that this album exists, yet at the same time I can't recall a time in which it didn't. It's all so surreal, as if Ultraviolence has always existed, transcending time and space and this angel had to grow a new heart to channel her way through the dark nooks of the soul for those who were lucky enough to happen to be there to bear witness. All my experiences before this album are imbued with it, all my future recollections will be bathed in it. It echoes the chronic emptiness and disillusionment "the flesh is heir to", yet never hopeless, always holding onto the image of "cherries in the spring", the "magnificence" of it all if we could only give up on our used-up prosthetic eye through which too much beauty goes unnoticed. This album, to me, is a lament to the beauty of the existence and the burden and the ensuing loneliness you find yourself to be laden with when you are the only one to see it all, the beauty, the sun and ocean blue. But what is to see, when it can't be shared in the way you like it to? It's limiting, depressing and violent. But she still goes on. Dancing the night away.

Sorry, I get very emotional over this particular masterpiece.

Edit: I originally wrote this entry on @Ultra Violet 's blog on UV since I wanted it to be on this thread, too. Hope that's okay.

Of course! This needs to be here on this thread too, for sure <3

8 years old. 8 fucking years. i remember when it leaked and listening to it thinking "wow, this woman really did this" and also i was kind of confused by how heavy it sounded. i remember skipping cruel world because it was so log and i wanted to keep listening to the other new songs oh and when I heard FLORIDA KILOS THE FIRST TIME

man what a time to be alive. what an album to experience. oh yeah and the time she sang ultraviolence the first time and everyone was fucking shook :grinds:

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Her best album. That's it. Brilliant, monumental, phenomenal, groundbreaking, unexpected & thrilling album. :clapback:

Happy birthday to this timeless masterpiece! 🎉

Just when I think the Chemtrails title track is my number one song in Lana’s discography I’m reminded by UV’s title track and how much I would (over)play it to dissect this masterpiece. I would do one listen-through only paying attention to the drums, and then another one for the electric guitar, one for the bass, one for the keys, etc etc until I understood each component. What a song omfg, chile lemme go listen rn. Happy birthday to this beautiful record!! :hair:

Happy 8th birthday, Ultraviolence! 🖤

Spoiler

If I remember correctly, I discovered Lana somewhere around 2014, and at the time I wasn't a die-hard fan that kept up with all the news and all the new singles. I was unaware of what was to come; I was unaware of the soon-to-be existence of Ultraviolence. I wasn't ready for the impact that this album would have on me. Although I don't relate to the lyrics entirely, the overall atmosphere of the record made me feel understood for once, especially at a time where I was going through a downward spiral. Time and time again, I revisit this record and I feel less lonely in the world, acknowledged by its existence. Truth be told, I'm no better today than I was then, but sometimes I think about Lana and her evolution. I don't think I've ever reached a sense of stability in my life, not happiness just simple stability, but I'm hopeful that someday I may. 

BF77-AD48-C18-D-4144-B349-27-DC6-F78-CD7

I just remembered how i ordered the deluxe box set without telling my parents and then lied about how much it actually cost with shipping lmao.

She was monstrous on this record.

Let's celebrate FLIPSIDE this year!

When This album came out, I was going through a Bad break-up, where I learned in the end I had been cheated on. UV became the soundtrack of that weird summer, where i had to learn how to ne okay again. The fire, the guitars, the cynism of the lyrics, the overall brutality of that relationship was oddly enough so soothing to hear. Cruel World was my fave cause i was relating to the lyrics so much (shared my body and my Mind with You, that’s all over now). 
UV was the start of a weird “star alignment”, where each album was out thé moment i needed them, with her almost narrating my own life (NFR probably was the last).

it’s a masterpiece, one that still sounds fresh after 8 years. Happy bday, UV :kiss3:

1. Brooklyn Baby
  2. Black Beauty
  3. Old Money
  4. Florida Kilos
  5. Cruel World

My top 5! The deluxe edition is her best album by far. The standard…not so much. I would have swapped out: Sad Girl, FMWUTTT, & The Other Woman and added Black Beauty, Florida Kilos & Flipside instead.

Happy 8th birthday, Ultraviolence 

I have such a strong connection to this album. I remember sitting in my dorm room freshman year on West Coast’s release day and severely overplaying the song. My best friend and I literally drove all around town blasting it. 

Then, there was sitting at my aunt’s house by the pool when Shades of Cool came out, and it became my absolute favorite song.

I remember her singing title track live, so when it officially came out I already knew all the words. 

I had a bf I was obsessed with and I remember being at his house when Brooklyn Baby came out. I also remember sitting in my parent’s car when the snippets first leaked and being absolutely obsessed. 

It was such a heavy, dark record and I was absolutely obsessed. I can’t believe it’s been as long as it has, time really does have a way of flying by 

"Don’t forget me"

Happy 8th Birthday to one of the best albums ever created:oprah::trisha: 

I remember discovering Lana back in the Spring of 2015 & I was obsessed with Old Money,  Money Power Glory & Sad Girl :trisha: 

From Cruel World to Flipside this album is stunning & has no skips (at least for me :creepna3:) . The guitar work is stellar & the amount or career highlights she gave us. The world truly was not ready for Cruel World being the opener collapse it is, the title track,  Shades Of Cool ( especially the bridge), Brooklyn Baby & West Coast are literally the epitome of Lana & some of the best songs ever made. I could go on & on but I stop before the posts gets to long lol. Stunning,  amazing,  groundbreaking,  breathtaking , Happy Birthday Ultraviolence :kiss:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Love this incredible, show-stopping album :gclap:

West Coast, Shades of Cool, Black Beauty, Cruel World and Flipside are my top 5, but I could switch out CW for Brooklyn Baby or Old Money on some days

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.