sweetie

Fucked My Way Up To The Top

So here's why it's unfortunately about Lorde

Life is awesome, I confess

- Responding to Lorde's criticism of portraying a glamorous lifestyle that no can relate to. She confesses it's awesome, I guess.

What I do, I do it best

You got nothing, I got tested

And I passed, yes

- In the game of alternative female pop singers, Lana professes that she does it best, and this amplified by the fact that she is successful even despite being "tested." She passed the test of public scrutiny, while Lorde didn't because she was immediately successful. Sense the jealousy here tbh

Agree. I had the same thoughts.

Lay me down tonight

In my linen and curls

Lay me down tonight

Riviera girls

- I know Lorde has curls etc but I think this is just a pretty nonsense Lana phrase. Of which she is full.

I also think the "Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls" line could possibly be a reference to Lorde's young age, like she has to be put to bed like a baby.

I'm a drag and you're a whore

- A little trickier. Maybe this is Lorde talking to her? Bc I can't see why she'd call Lorde a whore.

Also agree that this line doesn't add up. Maybe the song's mostly about Lorde, but this line is directed at someone else?

Don't even know what you're good for

Mimicking me is a fucking bore to me

- As far as mimicking, look to her new interview for the significance of the hip-hop sound of this song: "I would say the track having more of a hip hop heavier beat, whereas the rest of the album is live and organic…it kind of drives this one particular point home." Hip-hop influence is important here, something she and Lorde share.

Mimicking me is a fucking bore. :usrs:  :troll:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

@@SitarHero  - As far as mimicking, look to her new interview for the significance of the hip-hop sound of this song: "I would say the track having more of a hip hop heavier beat, whereas the rest of the album is live and organic…it kind of drives this one particular point home." Hip-hop influence is important here, something she and Lorde share. I mean plenty of sewer rats on LanaBoards.com have attempted to (unconvincingly) compare their sounds, and maybe Lana is surrounded by too many yes men and she believes this, too.

I finally listened to the album all the way thru (God bless Amazon autorip). What's not being mentioned is the strangled loon (or is it a baboon sound) that happens at least twice in FMWUTTT. This strengthens the reference to hip hop LDR makes about the song in the article as corresponding to a self-reference (BTD era), not necessarily a Lorde reference, imo. Maybe a little diss to Emile? My point is that it's not necessarily exclusively about Lorde (or Taylor, or Gaga). I also think that So Legit was not (exclusively) about Gaga.

On the topic of diss in general, isn't it somewhat "normal" to diss in hip hop? So for instance Tyler the Creator in Yonkers has that love tap to Bruno Mars in it (about stabbing in the esophagus) and his Domo23 seems to have a reference to pointing a gun at "one direction". So spreading the ambiguity further (I like thinking of LDR in uncertain terms), maybe the diss element is reference to hip hop itself.

Why would she sing "I'm a drag"

I read it alot around here, but "dragon" would make so much more sense, wouldn't it?

Though I'm not completely sure whether she says "drag and" or "dragon", she could be saying "I'm a drag" to imply that she's a boring singer or a downer of a singer because she mostly sings sad slow ballads, or that she thinks she's uninteresting in real life.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Though I'm not completely sure whether she says "drag and" or "dragon", she could be saying "I'm a drag" to imply that she's a boring singer or a downer of a singer because she mostly sings sad slow ballads, or that she thinks she's uninteresting in real life.

Yeah, I think it's a sarcastic remark like "If you called me a drag then you must be a whore" kinda thing

I kinda think it's about Taylor Swift, though Taylor hasn't said anything publicly about Lana. In the interview, she said the artist 'sneered about' her apparently inauthentic style. So to me it sounds like it wasn't a very public accusation. Taylor's been accused of copying Lana's videos because worked with Anthony Mandler twice, sure that might not be her fault... but the comparisons are still there. Both videos were after Lana's:  National Anthem = 22, Ride = I Knew You Were Trouble.

She didn't say anything about copying her sound. Just her style. Taylor's videos were almost carbon copies and she even did a monologue- which would have been her idea and not Mandler's. Also, Taylor has a reputation for being a 'whore' since she's dated so many men especially in the music industry: Fucked Her Way Up To The Top? Lana could be bitter that she used Reeve Carney in her I Knew You Were Trouble video?

A while ago, there was a thread on here which was about a song that Taylor wrote called The Lucky One (which was supposedly about Joni Mitchell but it was never confirmed by anybody apart from Taylor herself in an interview- though, if it were really about Lana do we think she would just downright say it?) Also, Lorde and Taylor are pretty good friends. One of them attended the other's birthday party or something, so if Lorde has any hate against Lana, I'm sure it would have rubbed off on Taylor a little bit. I think Taylor probably said really mean things Lana in private and Lana heard it.

New to town with a made up name in the angel city,
Chasing fortune and fame.
And the camera flashes, make it look like a dream.
You had it figured out since you were in school.
Everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool.
So overnight you look like a sixties’ queen.

Now it’s big black cars, and Riviera views,
And your lover in the foyer doesn't even know you
And your secrets end up splashed on the news front page.

I kinda think it's about Taylor Swift, though Taylor hasn't said anything publicly about Lana. In the interview, she said the artist 'sneered about' her apparently inauthentic style. So to me it sounds like it wasn't a very public accusation. Taylor's been accused of copying Lana's videos because worked with Anthony Mandler twice, sure that might not be her fault... but the comparisons are still there. Both videos were after Lana's:  National Anthem = 22, Ride = I Knew You Were Trouble.

She didn't say anything about copying her sound. Just her style. Taylor's videos were almost carbon copies and she even did a monologue- which would have been her idea and not Mandler's. Also, Taylor has a reputation for being a 'whore' since she's dated so many men especially in the music industry: Fucked Her Way Up To The Top? Lana could be bitter that she used Reeve Carney in her I Knew You Were Trouble video?

A while ago, there was a thread on here which was about a song that Taylor wrote called The Lucky One (which was supposedly about Joni Mitchell but it was never confirmed by anybody apart from Taylor herself in an interview- though, if it were really about Lana do we think she would just downright say it?) Also, Lorde and Taylor are pretty good friends. One of them attended the other's birthday party or something, so if Lorde has any hate against Lana, I'm sure it would have rubbed off on Taylor a little bit. I think Taylor probably said really mean things Lana in private and Lana heard it.

Also, aren't Taylor and Jaime King besties now since January?? And Lana pretty much dropped out of Jaime's life. That, to me is incredibly weird.

Remember this http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/4671-lana-in-intro-magazine/

Whoever has their 15 minutes of glory has won the game of life.

Do people expect that stars are perfect?

I’m often depressed because I am differently. To me it’s about words that create magic or that my familiy is fine though we are all very different from eachother. I had to distance myself from some people in the last few years because I understood that they have other goals than me. I want to anchor myself with available things, it’s about real relationships. But I can understand envy of other people. I am very jealous of other women when I think that they’ve challenge my place in the music genre.

Lana isn't doing country-pop . . .

I was thinking this as soon as I read it's about someone who stole her style. 

But tbh, it could be anybody. 

Love is a setting sun // Is a smoking gun // Is a four letter word // I hope it hurts 

I could totally understand some resentment Lanamay have for Lorde. Lorde was literally successful overnight, and welcomed with open arms. All celebrities were talking about her etc, everyone thinking she's the coolest bitch around. Whereas Lana worked so much harder and was met with total criticism, exposés and shit and is still slated by critics.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I got tested

And I passed, yes

- In the game of alternative female pop singers, Lana professes that she does it best, and this amplified by the fact that she is successful even despite being "tested."

Thank you!

I also think the "Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls" line could possibly be a reference to Lorde's young age, like she has to be put to bed like a baby.

Thank you!!

Thank you!!!

My point is that it's not necessarily exclusively about Lorde (or Taylor, or Gaga). 

Bingo.

First verse = Lorde, second verse = Taylor, Lorde+Taylor = "Riviera girls"?

But halfway through second verse she turns her back on them and addresses the exec (or fans): "Tell me something nice about your favorite girl," who responds, "Need you baby like I breathe you baby..."

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I'm a dragon you're a whore

Don't even know what you're good for

Mimicking me is a fucking bore

To me but babe

omg

i heard its about lizzy grant, lana to lizzy

UYdHGY2.png

I'm 99% sure this about Lorde because of the lines Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls and Lay me down tonight in my diamonds and pearls . I think it references Lorde's views towards Lana - she said abut how Lana sings about lavish, privileged lifestyles, whereas Royals is clearly about not living a rich life. Lana is being sarcastic by saying diamonds and pearls and linen and curls; all these items are attributed to wealthiness.

I also think the chorus is satirical as Lana's sarcastically talking about herself; she's saying that she did fuck her way to success - she has no talent.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1