Sign in to follow this  
sweetie

Money Power Glory

Are we 150% sure it's alleluia?

I used to go to church all the time and whenever we sang hymns, they were always alleluia - they use that version in spiritual songs - and MPG IS a spiritual song lol.

Alleluia is the version they usually use in music.

I used to go to church all the time and whenever we sang hymns, they were always alleluia - they use that version in spiritual songs - and MPG IS a spiritual song lol.

Alleluia is the version they usually use in music.

Amen to this. @@SitarHero I think you have the mistaken impression from my comment about "alleluia" being a "Greek-influenced form of the word" that it's obscure. Far from it. From attending Catholic masses with my wife I can tell you that an important part of the liturgy in every mass (except during Lent) is a call and response referred to as "the alleluia". And from my own very religious upbringing and years attending services at churches of various Protestant denominations I can say that "alleluia" is far more commonly used in worship music-- whether traditional hymns or contemporary praise hymns-- than "hallelujah". Now, whether Lana is aware "alleluia" has its own spelling and is not an alternate pronunciation of "hallelujah" is another question, but the word she is pronouncing is "alleluia".

I should also note that to anyone familiar with contemporary praise hymns it's obvious ~lyrically and sonically~ (especially on the chorus) that she's trying to evoke a mock praise hymn to herself. If the lyrics were changed to attribute the "power and glory" to God instead of Lana, this would not sound at all out of place at the church I most recently attended regularly.

Sorry, you're out of your depth on this one, heathen. :lordejesus:

t9aQjfK.gif

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

this song is heaven :legend:

does anyone else really, really love everything about the 2nd verse? the way she sings it, the lyrics...

:defeated:

yessss, the second verse is one of the highlights from the whole album. I think the song would be better with just a guitar solo as the bridge with maybe some vocal harmonising. The dope and diamonds part seems a bit forced.

And I'm obsessed with the line

My life it comprises of

Losses and wins and fails and falls 

basically means she only has 1 win for every 3 fails in her life. so sad  :defeated:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Amen to this. @@SitarHero I think you have the mistaken impression from my comment about "alleluia" being a "Greek-influenced form of the word" that it's obscure. Far from it. From attending Catholic masses with my wife I can tell you that an important part of the liturgy in every mass (except during Lent) is a call and response referred to as "the alleluia". And from my own very religious upbringing and years attending services at churches of various Protestant denominations I can say that "alleluia" is far more commonly used in worship music-- whether traditional hymns or contemporary praise hymns-- than "hallelujah". Now, whether Lana is aware "alleluia" has its own spelling and is not an alternate pronunciation of "hallelujah" is another question, but the word she is pronouncing is "alleluia".

I should also note that to anyone familiar with contemporary praise hymns it's obvious ~lyrically and sonically~ (especially on the chorus) that she's trying to evoke a mock praise hymn to herself. If the lyrics were changed to attribute the "power and glory" to God instead of Lana, this would not sound at all out of place at the church I most recently attended regularly.

Sorry, you're out of your depth on this one, heathen. :lordejesus:

t9aQjfK.gif

Fine then I simply hear an "H" so how's that :biblio:

Fine then I simply hear an "H" so how's that :biblio:

Maybe on the second syllable when she does her stretching out one syllable over multiple syllables thing, but not at the beginning of the word. But I'd transcribe that as "A-a-leluia" or "A-ha-leluia", not "Ah, hallelujah". The latter would be weird. Again, that's just something that comes from the context of lived religious experience.

"Melisma", the technical term for this, is quite common in Christian worship music-- Catholics, Lutherans, and Orthodox Christians are notorious for call and response liturgy that is melismatic to the point of being unmelodic-- especially on words like "alleluia". In fact, the example the Wikipedia article on "melisma" uses is of the word "alleluia" in the hymn "Christ the Lord is Risen Today".

Does anyone else hear "Dope and diamonds, that's all that I am" in the bridge?

In fact, if the official lyrics weren't transcribed on the last page, I'd be 100% sure that's what she says.

In fact, if the official lyrics weren't transcribed on the last page, I'd be 100% sure that's what she says.

There are no official lyrics

Meh, I hear "LA through New York, I'm gonna take them for all that they got."

Get your ears cleaned out or a better set of headphones.

I think you might be right. She definitely says something like this if not this exactly.

Did anyone catch the DMD [Demo 3 I think] reference in the bridge?

In this song she says:

"Dope and Diamonds"  in the lyrics, as if she was lusting after that, but she says it sarcastically

In DMD she sings:

"Gimme them, gimme them dope and diamonds"

It's like she doesn't want them now that she can actually have them.

Or this wants to be the DMD of UV

Who knows :creep: