Sign in to follow this  
sweetie

Sad Girl

Bein’ a mistress on the side, it might not appeal to fools like you.

Creepin’ around on the side would not be something you would do.

But you haven’t seen my man, you haven’t seen my man.

You haven’t seen my man, you haven’t seen him.

He’s got the fire, and he walks with it.

He’s got the fire, and he talks with it.

His bonny on the side, bonny on the side makes me so sad, girl.

His money on the side, money on the side makes me so sad, girl.

I’m a sad girl, I’m a sad girl, I’m a sad girl.

I’m a sad girl, I’m a bad girl, I’m a bad girl.

Bein’ a bad bitch on the side, might not appeal to fools like you.

Creepin’ around while he gets high, it might not be something you would do.

But you haven’t seen my man, you haven’t seen my man.

You haven’t seen my man, you haven’t seen him.

I’m a sad girl, I’m a bad girl, I’m a bad girl.

Watch what you say to me, careful who you’re talkin’ to.

Watch what you say to me, careful who you’re talkin’ to.

I’m on fire, baby.

I’m on fire.

I’m a sad girl, I’m a mad girl, I’m a bad girl.

I’m a sad girl, I’m a mad girl, I’m a bad girl.

This is official. Because they are from the official UV songbook.. People were so bitter when I forgot to give receipts (@@godknowsitried 's post before) I have one so if needed I can type the words out.

It's really not like the booklet lyrics mean much anyway. Sure they help us clear some stuff up sometimes, but BTD and Paradise both had mistakes.

I thought she meant that his bonny on the side, "side chick", makes her a sad girl.

So does his money on the side, because it's probably drug money.

I thought that she is sad because she's just his side chick, as she sings about being "a mistress on the side" during the first verse

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

My absolute favorite Lana song.

I like to think she's saying bonny - because she mentions it elsewhere on the album (in "Shades of Cool", if I recall). I do, however, thank it can be taken double - as with most of her lyrics - as a reference to Bonnie and Clyde. It fits with the theme and enriches it. Layers, references. All typical of Lana. 

As I said in another thread, I love the David Lynch references. I refuse to accept "fire and he walks with it" isn't a reference to Twin Peaks until otherwise proven. It just seems so fitting with the trumpet in the background - which recalls Mulholland Drive and the scene in the Club Silencio. 

Personally I get a lot of imagery from this song. From the start, I envision a very miserable jazz club surrounded by blue flames, with Lana just standing on the stage with mascara running down her face. When the chorus kicks in with "he's got the fiiiiire", I see those flames grow in intensity and turn bright red and orange. 

The chorus after the bridge, where the production fades out, genuinely moves me beyond words. I can't describe it. Something about it hits me hard. It seems so raw, so vulnerable, and so lost. So very, very sad - which is fitting to the premise of the song and the overall aesthetic of her work - especially on Ultraviolence

This is easily one of my favorite songs ever. Certainly one of the most powerful every time I listen to it. 

Where is that interview quote of Lana saying the chorus was a sarcastic reference to her media image?

Or about simplifying that type of woman as "sad, bad."

she never said that.

She honestly did not say that, like ever.

Found it. 

http://www.krone.at/410322

Translation:

I.: Is the song “Sad Girl” autobiographical? Are you describing yourself as a sad girl in it?

LDR: Well, half I’m kidding and playing with clichés. Maybe I’m a bit sarcastic in it. But the song has an impelling jazz vibe and in a certain way it actually is autobiographically influenced.

:creep:

my friend and i were arguing over whether she says "he's got the fire and he walks with it" or "he walks with fame." 

I think it's definitely "with it," but she pronounces "with" in that baby voice like "wiv/wif" so I could understand the confusion.

Anyway it's 100% "fire and he walks with it" because it's a reference to Twin Peaks because Lana is my Lynchian queen and I won't accept any other lyric.

my friend and i were arguing over whether she says "he's got the fire and he walks with it" or "he walks with fame." 

I think it's definitely "with it," but she pronounces "with" in that baby voice like "wiv/wif" so I could understand the confusion.

Anyway it's 100% "fire and he walks with it" because it's a reference to Twin Peaks because Lana is my Lynchian queen and I won't accept any other lyric.

I think it has to be "he walks with it" because she's a Lynch stan.

how the fuck do you "walk with fame"

"A bonny" just means a "pretty little thing". Works so well with the song.

A reference to Bonnie & Clyde too. He’s a bad boy and he’s got a bad girl on the side, a different partner in crime

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole