sweetie

Is This Happiness

The weird sound at the start is just the piano in a lower semi-tone and reversed; I think it opens into ITH interestingly, almost like a video being rewound and then starting at the beginning.

Also, witch hazel often symbolizes perseverance, inspiration and spiritual understanding, and wisdom from one's feelings; it was also used to divine the future. Almost seems like the "betrayal" bit scoffs at remedies for a lost soul who doesn't have much direction and feels desolate.

Such a fucking beautiful song. Definitely one of my favorites. Can't wait to hear it in HQ. :lange:

The weird sound at the start is just the piano in a lower semi-tone and reversed; I think it opens into ITH interestingly, almost like a video being rewound and then starting at the beginning.

Also, witch hazel often symbolizes perseverance, inspiration and spiritual understanding, and wisdom from one's feelings; it was also used to divine the future. Almost seems like the "betrayal" bit scoffs at remedies for a lost soul who doesn't have much direction and feels desolate.

Such a fucking beautiful song. Definitely one of my favorites. Can't wait to hear it in HQ. :lange:

Beautiful interpretation, I'm going to have to steal it :)

I like it but the song doesn't start like that on the album, originally the song is 3:44

'Witch hazel, witch hazel, betrayal, betrayal'

I don't know why but something about those lyrics gives me chills. An enchanting and bewitching song, one of my favourites from the album (but that's quite a big club at the moment :P)

Definitely reminds me a bit of Everytime too, but it's much darker, I love it.

'So I try to say goodbye my friend // I'd like to leave you with something warm // But never have I been a blue calm sea // I have always been a storm'

this song is filled with such raw emotion, it's almost ~unlistenable~. the bridge, especially the 'one gun on the table/head shot if you're able' makes me feel so sad. this is the fantastic lyricism of lana that i fell in love with when i first became a fan. i just wish flipside and ith were available on a cd somewhere together.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Honestly, I actually changed my mind, I am on the fence between whether she's singing...
"Got your gun, I got my Dad,"

OR

"Got your gun, I got my debt,"

Only because it fits perfectly with the first verse saying she's a hard woman to keep track of, and the basic context of the song. She's crafted all this art from the inspiration of her experiences. She's got all these dark spots in her mind and heart from the tribulations she's endured, and they've driven her ambitions so much despite leaving her vulnerable all the same. After channeling that vulnerability, her experiences were invalidated by critics and pessimistic slags; it left a dent in her motivation and left her doubting her inspiration, which makes her unhappy. The total opposite experience of what showing humility and candor should do for her.

Her art is her life, and it all amounts to something for her, even if it never meant much to anyone else. But being invalidated by people who don't want understand, who just want to coldly project who they think she is/should be, she's experienced a crippling self-doubt, and may regret trusting her inspirations to bring her happiness.

"Witch hazel, witch hazel,
betrayal, betrayal."

It won't change her art though. She's paying her life for everything that brought her to this point, without rejecting any of it. She cares that people do that to her, but she's just exhausted; if fame or happiness amounted to being left so vulnerable, tired and damaged as a person and writer, she doesn't want it, and she won't fight being taken away from it all.

I'm having an existential crisis listening to this song.

I hear "got your gun, I've got my dare" as if she's egging him on to shoot her or something?? Idk. The verse makes me think they're in midst of a bad argument, he grabs his gun and she's daring him to do something with it.

14417469274.gif

Well, in my searchings, i found that Witch Hazel is a plant (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hazel) or an astringent produced from it. It's the name of an animated cartoon from Warner Bros, but it's also the name of other cartoons, from Disney and MGM for example, and others (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_Hazel_(Looney_Tunes)). But the most interesting thing i found about it, is that Witch Hazel stands for Heroine too (www.noslang.com/drugs/dictionary/w/)

Just heard it for the first time and these lyrics are so impressive or real af as some would say.

Especially the line

"One gun on the table

Headshot if you're able"

I'm really curious as what period of her life she's describing in them. I get a recent vibe but who knows.