sweetie

Is This Happiness

This is probably my favourite song from Ultraviolence!! It's spine chillingly beautiful in a desolate, empty way! The lyrics are so beautiful and the repetition in the chorus adds to that feeling, it doesn't feel overdone at all! This song is ethereal, there are no other words for it!

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

I didn't get those

Witch Hazel Witch Hazel

Beytrayal betrayal verses...

Thanks heaps for the interpretations. Witch Hazel = heroine... it makes sense.

This seems to be about Barrie, yes.

The Man to man... verse reminds me of that french interview in which Lana said she was "a man amongst men". I wonder if she uses those masculine terms referring to herself due to reading almost exclusively male writers?

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

I didn't get those

Witch Hazel Witch Hazel

Beytrayal betrayal verses...

Thanks heaps for the interpretations. Witch Hazel = heroine... it makes sense.

This seems to be about Barrie, yes.

The Man to man... verse reminds me of that french interview in which Lana said she was "a man amongst men". I wonder if she uses those masculine terms referring to herself due to reading almost exclusively male writers?

My thing is, I understand that Lana writes about drugs a lot.... but I personally dont think witch hazel is all that common of a way to say heroine. Never heard of that before.(I dont think that's what it meant) Like honestly. But I guess, its all perspective.

This song has been growing on me, but I have to repeat from another thread that there are certain lines in songs that capture a person or a situation so densely and perfectly, and

You're a hard man to love 

And I'm a hard woman to keep track of

are just about the best statement of Lana's whole body of work, bringing to life her, her partner and the room they're in within a few mundane sounding words.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

She does that gliding up and down the notes  a lot. Like "Swinging in the baackyard, pull up in your faast carand "feeet don't fail me now".  I don't think she had Hallelujah in mind, but I definetely think she is inpired by him in some ways.

Guest Dot

It totally DOES! That was literally the first thing that came to my mind when I heard it for the first time.

These lyrics are epically good at capturing both the love and hate involved in a mentally destructive relationship. I really appreciate the feelings of desperation here, that the only escape is through drugs and, ultimately, in one person simply killing himself. Tragic. Beautiful.

How did I never hear this before now?!! Was it a bonus on the regular U/V? I have the deluxe edition, and it's definitely not on there. Not complaining, though, as I really needed to hear this today, and it came like a gift!  I wish Lana would do more "piano and voice" songs. And those lyrics! Possibly one of Lana's most perfect songs, which says a lot. 

How did I never hear this before now?!! Was it a bonus on the regular U/V? I have the deluxe edition, and it's definitely not on there. Not complaining, though, as I really needed to hear this today, and it came like a gift!  I wish Lana would do more "piano and voice" songs. And those lyrics! Possibly one of Lana's most perfect songs, which says a lot. 

It's unfortunately iTunes only. And it's definitely an important song in her oeuvre. 

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

It's unfortunately iTunes only. And it's definitely an important song in her oeuvre. 

Thanks! That's disappointing; I'd love to have this on a disk. It's gorgeous.