Sign in to follow this  
HEARTCORE

Lana Del Rey: 'I wish I was dead already' (The Guardian Interview)

It's sad that she feels this way, but I also think she has specific themes and phases that she evolves into and she enjoys feeling defined by each role. Not to say for one second this is exaggerated or not real, she's sounds depressed and dissociated and that's really sad, but I also think she's been using how she's been feeling to create the new record and define herself as a "legitimate" artist for this new era. I hope that creating music still gives her joy - it must do to some extent as she's still created Ultraviolence that has been promoted and geared towards being in the charts. Hopefully better reactions to this record might have a good impact on her and I hope she finds some of that inner peace that she used to have a couple of years ago, that seems to have been kicked out of her with all the criticisms and bad trappings of fame.

I know she said she never wanted to be famous, but a lot of her songs suggest otherwise and I can't think of something more frightening than dreaming for so many years about something, then getting it and realizing it isn't the paradise you truly believed it would be.

I have gold in my veins

I suffer from depression and I think that Lana is really very depressed and I wish she feels better soon.

But finding out she does not care for doing concerts and probably is not feeling loved by her fans makes me sad. I shouldn't dedicate my time and thoughts to an artist who wishes to be left alone. I feel such a fool now I could die. Sorry Lana but you are the world to me.

I don't think she wants her fan to leave her alone, It think she just mean that although she enjoys the love and attention from her fans, that kind of love is not enough to make her happy. When you reach the top and you realize that, it must be really scary.

Yeah you have a point. But I feel really stupid for every little thought I obsessed on her Art now. Cannot explain. I feel very bad for feeding on her unhappiness.

Perhaps her contract and management force her to do what she doesn't want to, like happened with Elvis in his later years. Poor girl. I am praying for you from the bottom of my broken heart.

:(

I don't think she wants her fan to leave her alone, It think she just mean that although she enjoys the love and attention from her fans, that kind of love is not enough to make her happy. When you reach the top and you realize that, it must be really scary.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Maybe her boyfriend is dragging her down? Why doesn't her father do something? She needs psychotherapy. I am not being judgemental... just feel Lana is a friend I never met and I care for her. I feel rotten.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

She sounds depressed, hope she'll talk to a therapist or something rather than sink in ~artistic misery~ . I'm grateful for the music and the beautiful lyrics, but it's annoying that she glamorizes wrong things so much. There's nothing glamorous about cheating, although with her amount of respect for [other] women I'm not even surprised. 

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

“People say to the mentally ill, ‘You know so many people think the world of you.’ But when they don’t like themselves they don’t notice anything. They don’t care about what people think of them. When you hate yourself, whatever people say it doesn’t make sense. ‘Why do they like me? Why do they care about me?’ Because you don’t care about yourself at all.” - Richey Edwards

This interview made me really, really sad. But if I'm being honest, it doesn't surprise me all that much. What does surprise me, however, is how open she is being here. And depending on how you look at it, this can be a good or a bad thing. As a fan it's quite... uncomfortable in a way, because here I am admiring her voice, her talent, uniqueness, songwriting abilities meanwhile.... she just doesn't love herself as much as we expect her to. Remember what she said in a recent interview: 'it's just sad because they care and I just don't..' I do believe she's struggling. I genuinely think she is hurting. Just because she has a platform of fame now, some money in her pocket, a "very large family" and a lot of people around her, doesn't mean she isn't struggling. I wish her true happiness. I wish I could be a part of that but it looks like it's too much of a far stretch. 

Also, the comments under that Guardian article really discouraged me. I mean.... really? Some of those people don't know what they're talking about. Hey, we can all have our opinions and it's fine if you think she's this way and that way or her music 'sucks' or whatever - okay, cool. Your problem, not mine, but blatantly disregarding her emotions and invalidating her struggles because she is famous? "poor little rich girl" is what they think. What people need to realize is that mental illness is just that: mental illness. It does not discriminate - when will people understand this? They don't get it, man. They don't get it :icant:

tumblr_m7ggbemthf1r7oj7fo1_500.gif

I shouldn't of read this. Part of me is seriously worried she'll do something drastic. It quite obvious she's suffering with depression. I feel so bad now for her and quite guilty. I want new music but not if it makes Lana feel this bad....

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

This is so sad... Listening to Old Money while reading this didn't help at all. In some ways, I understand how she feels, glorifying death, finding peace in it and all. The fact that Lou Reed was just about to collaborate with her and died though, wow.

sig3_2.png

I think at her core from way back then, its seems like Lana has always been one to seek out places of peace and refuge. Even if they were temporary. Which is why she seemed to move around a lot. From alcohol to multiple relationships. And like anyone who can relate, usually the cause of this restlessness links itself back to people's home life. & How they grew up. I mean she mentioned the fact that when Video Games started picking up, she hadnt seen or heard from her father in 6 years. Plus when you add up her parents sending her off to boarding school, it starts to make sense. Aside from other personal things. & So when you couple that with the criticism she receives from one of the places shes seeking acceptance the most, i can see why she would feel the way she does. But her love for music and fans is what keeps her doing music. The moment shes able to receive closure and peace from things shes dealt with back then, then i can see her truly being a peace a little more.

i'm not sure i'd describe her as depressed. like obv she's pretty #sadcore but also i just get the sense that she gets into these really existential moods and questions the value of life and what it means to die.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I know there is artistic license with Journalism but she really doesn't help herself on the fraud front

when she lies about things that can be so easily disproved. There are so many photos in the public domain of her and her dad at all those conferences around the time of AKA why pretend she had no relationship with him for years when iit'sit'st"s just not true and there is evidence that she is bullshitting. She is just providing cannon fodder to those who question her authenticity.

Lana honey, don't look for happiness from others, you will always be disappointed. She needs some positivity and love in her life. UV is def way darker than her previous works. I think she has probably struggled with depression for years. Maybe thats why UV is a conundrum to me. My frame of mind right now is in a good space, but when I am feeling melancholy or blue I put on Lana's music and it soothes me. I hope she can realize that this is her universe and it's up to her to make it the way she want's it.

Since so many people (myself included) like to lanalyse, here's what I found a few months ago when I tried to understand the difference between Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder:

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD): causes, symptoms and treatments

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a mental illness, characterized by emotional instability.

What is it?

Individuals with this disorder have difficulties with impulse control, maintaining relationships, self-image and identity, and may show "black or white" thinking. Self-injury is a common occurrence with this disorder. In addition, BPD is often complicated by other psychiatric conditions, such as eating disorders, residual Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), depression, anxiety disorders, and presenting risk behaviors.

Symptoms of BPD

Individuals with BPD may exhibit extreme bouts of anger, depression or crippling anxiety. They may be associated with episodes of self-injury, nonlethal suicide behaviors and substance abuse. Individuals may have frequent changes in long-term goals, careers, friendships, gender identity, sexual behaviors and values. Some individuals with BPD view themselves as unworthy; they may feel misunderstood, bored, and empty; their sensitivity to other's judgement is frequently managed in an adversarial way.

Who is affected?

Symptoms of BPD usually first occur during adolescence or young adulthood. One to three percent of the general population is affected and women are three times more likely to be diagnosed than men. BPD accounts for 20% of psychiatric hospital admissions

Causes of BPD

There is no single factor that causes BDP. However, both environmental and genetic factors are believed to play a role in the development of the symptoms. Research findings tend to show that many individuals with BPD report a previous history of abuse, neglect, or separation as young children and stressful events during adolescence or adulthood. However, many people with BPD haven't been through any abuse, neglect or extreme stress.

Treatments of BPD

Most BPD patients are treated with behavioral therapy, medication, or a combination of the two. Group and individual psychotherapies are partially effective for many BPD individuals. Dialectical behavioral therapy, (DBT) which focuses on an exchange and negotiation between the therapist and patient, has been found to significantly reduce self-injury and suicidal behavior in BPD individuals. Medications such as anti-depressants and mood stabilizers may be used to treat symptoms such as depressive episodes or volatile emotional outbursts. Antipsychotics may also be used to treat distortions in thinking and behavioral activation.

Aide-mémoire

The word PRAISE is commonly used to remember some of the BPD features:

P - Paranoid ideas
R - Relationship instability
A - Angry outbursts, abandonment fears
I - Impulsive behaviors
S - Suicidal behaviors
E - Emptiness

To know if she has this exact disorder is not that important, I mean it won't change anything, but somehow I wanted to share as I like to demystify mental illness. I don't think she behaves very consciously when she lies or exaggerate situations. Or she may act half-consciously, like she can't really control it. She seems to mix reality and her fantasy world she created.

It makes my heart hurt to hear her say these things. I'm sure she has been depressed for a long time, but to see her start revealing it so candidly reads like a cry for help. Like she's conflicted between desperately wanting to get better but being too exhausted to believe it's possible. She reminds me a lot of Cobain in how she feels about her fame. Hopefully I'm just projecting or reading the signs wrong. 

This also makes me wonder if the need to lie/exaggerate about her past is part of her particular brand of mental illness. 

Girl, cheer up! I for once can't help but feel kind of mad after reading this. I respect that she wants to be more true to herself this era, not be all glamorous and shit and bring that in her music, covers, interviews or whatever. This could've been just another pop star interview about how great fame and life is. I appreciate her honesty. But--- you have to be a little more careful with what you put out there for people to read. And show some freaking appreciation, girl! If not for your fans, then for being able to do what you love (?) or for your husband or for simply being alive for christ sake. Maybe she is being honest with her feelings and maybe in that moment or mood she felt that way; "I wanna die" or whatever. But as someone else said, that shit isn't for journalists to hear, that's for family or friends or your psychologist to hear. I think it's wonderful that we finally have a celebrity not talking all good about fame and what comes with it. She's real in that way. But I wish she was more careful with the stuff she puts out in the universe and tried to focus more on the positive things with her fame and time in the spotlight. In some extent people are here for Lana Del Rey, not Lizzie Grant tbqfh.

It's definetly saddening to see her so upset. It's as though she has everything and nothing all at once. I feel guilty as a fan, a bit, for playing a part in her fame; she has love, money, fans, fame, but I think the criticism she receives just breaks her heart. I feel for her.

But the whole #staystronglana needs to stop. I think she just needs some alone time, so their pressure isn't helping.

tumblr_inline_mr0bdqxfxY1qz4rgp.gif MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS... *duh*