FFXSoul91

Flipside

Early Placebo vibes all over the place. The amount that this album puts me back in 10th grade is dangerous.

I've thought exactly the same when I was listening the song for the first time. Flipside sounds just like Placebo on their first album.

Is it just me, or is this song about Barrie?!

"Are you gonna hurt me now?
Or are you gonna hurt me later?
Are you gonna go to town?
Maybe you should play it safer"

Maybe this is Barrie's point of view as he has thought this or "said" it to Lana, saying that he knows what she's up to. He knows that she wants to leave and he's questioning when she will have the courage to face the inevitable. Also, it goes along with the idea that she is "being a mistress on the side" (Are you gonna go to town)

You've got me all dressed up tonight
Springsteen on the radio
You've got me all freaked out tonight
Somethin' you're tellin' me- what? I don't know

Basically, she's dressing up for him because she doesn't want to face the truth. They both know that the breakup is going to happen, yet it's unspoken and taboo. 

You don't wanna break me down
You don't wanna say goodbye and
You don't wanna turn around
You don't wanna make me cry but
You caught me once
​Maybe on the flipside I could catch you again
You caught me once
​Maybe on the flipside you could catch me again

But she knows he's a good guy, in contrast to Jimmy or whoever she wrote BTD about. He DOESN'T want to make her cry. He DOESN'T want to to turn around, break her down, or say goodbye. Lana knows he's a good guy; he treats her right, he just doesn't treat himself with the same respect (drugs, etc.) So, she will wait for him to get his shit together and then they can "catch" each other again, on the "flipside," when he's sober, etc.

basically, if you analyze the rest of the lyrics the same way/in the same POVs, you get what I'm going for... does this make sense to anyone else!?

"Are you gonna hurt me now?Or are you gonna hurt me later?Are you gonna go to town?Maybe you should play it safer"

Maybe this is Barrie's point of view as he has thought this or "said" it to Lana, saying that he knows what she's up to. He knows that she wants to leave and he's questioning when she will have the courage to face the inevitable. Also, it goes along with the idea that she is "being a mistress on the side" (Are you gonna go to town)You've got me all dressed up tonightSpringsteen on the radioYou've got me all freaked out tonightSomethin' you're tellin' me- what? I don't know

Basically, she's dressing up for him because she doesn't want to face the truth. They both know that the breakup is going to happen, yet it's unspoken and taboo. You don't wanna break me downYou don't wanna say goodbye andYou don't wanna turn aroundYou don't wanna make me cry butYou caught me once​Maybe on the flipside I could catch you againYou caught me once​Maybe on the flipside you could catch me again

But she knows he's a good guy, in contrast to Jimmy or whoever she wrote BTD about. He DOESN'T want to make her cry. He DOESN'T want to to turn around, break her down, or say goodbye. Lana knows he's a good guy; he treats her right, he just doesn't treat himself with the same respect (drugs, etc.) So, she will wait for him to get his shit together and then they can "catch" each other again, on the "flipside," when he's sober, etc.

basically, if you analyze the rest of the lyrics the same way/in the same POVs, you get what I'm going for... does this make sense to anyone else!?

Omg it makes sense!

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I love this analysis of the lyrics!!! Although I believe that the first verse is from Lana's POV. To me, I think she is saying 'are you gonna walk out on me now? are you going to tell me you want to break up now, or will you tell me later?' The bit about going to town is slightly mocking - she's saying that maybe he should wait to tell Lana that he wants to break up when it's 'safer'; the irony is that it will never be 'safe' to break up with her because she will always end up being hurt.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Maybe this is Barrie's point of view as he has thought this or "said" it to Lana, saying that he knows what she's up to. He knows that she wants to leave and he's questioning when she will have the courage to face the inevitable. Also, it goes along with the idea that she is "being a mistress on the side" (Are you gonna go to town)

Springsteen on the radio

Basically, she's dressing up for him because she doesn't want to face the truth. They both know that the breakup is going to happen, yet it's unspoken and taboo. 

You caught me once

You caught me once

I was just listening to Flipside and thought the exact same thing :crying: it makes the song even sadder than i had already made it! 

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

It's really unsettling how this song is the last on the tracklist. Almost the whole album is about this guy was addicted to drugs and he abused her both physically and mentally. Cruel World sets you up believing Lama will be happy to see him go, but Flipside at the end literally throws the whole thing onto its flipside - now she's suddenly like 'maybe we'll be together again in the future'; despite the awful way he has treated her, she still hopes for some form of reconciliation. It's dark, gloomy and falls into the category of 'unlistenable' that Lana hoped for the album.

Also, I really like the parallels between this - the last track on the second (or third, depending how you see it) album - and Born to Die - the first track on the 'first' album. "Don't make me sad, don't make me cry" - "You don't wanna break me down, you don't wanna make me cry" It's really clever.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Springsteen on the radio

You caught me once

You caught me once

Oh my God, yes! :shock: This totally makes sense!! 

Maybe they will get back together when Barrie's fixed himself up.

Maybe this whole album is about Barrie, but Lana is making it discreet with Jim references, until the last song where she comes clean?

It's really unsettling how this song is the last on the tracklist. Almost the whole album is about this guy was addicted to drugs and he abused her both physically and mentally. Cruel World sets you up believing Lama will be happy to see him go, but Flipside at the end literally throws the whole thing onto its flipside - now she's suddenly like 'maybe we'll be together again in the future'; despite the awful way he has treated her, she still hopes for some form of reconciliation. It's dark, gloomy and falls into the category of 'unlistenable' that Lana hoped for the album.

Also, I really like the parallels between this - the last track on the second (or third, depending how you see it) album - and Born to Die - the first track on the 'first' album. "Don't make me sad, don't make me cry" - "You don't wanna break me down, you don't wanna make me cry" It's really clever.

Oh, wow, yes! It's genius! :worship:

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

i'm fucking trash. for dismissing this song on first listen and only downloading it today. The guitar at the end sounds like an eagles track. Last song of the night vibes aka my favourite  :defeated:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

i'm fucking trash. for dismissing this song on first listen and only downloading it today. The guitar at the end sounds like an eagles track. Last song of the night vibes aka my favourite  :defeated:

True, tbh kill yourself!

Become a top 5 UV track for sure :crey:

Also, I really like the parallels between this - the last track on the second (or third, depending how you see it) album - and Born to Die - the first track on the 'first' album. "Don't make me sad, don't make me cry" - "You don't wanna break me down, you don't wanna make me cry" It's really clever.

Sorry for the late quote-- I think this is great, except for the fact that it's most definitely unintentional. Lana's definitely mentioned that she only sequenced the standard tracklist together-- Cruel World to The Other Woman being the start and the finish of "Ultraviolence", not including the bonus tracks.

I think you're definitely giving her too much credit! 

One of her best songs from Ultraviolence, though.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

during the second chorus it definitely sounds as if she says "you the one that made me cry but" over "you don't wanna make me cry but"

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

3 minutes ago, shadesofyayo said:

does anyone know whats the deal with some versions of flipside having that weird reversed intro? like this:

im assuming its just fanmade right?

Idk what it is I was actually wondering that myself

On 6/13/2014 at 9:00 AM, evilentity said:

"Flipside" really feels like the proper ending for Ultraviolence. Moar Stranathan plz.

I know and the way it was left out of the official album...:lolno:

5 minutes ago, shadesofyayo said:

does anyone know whats the deal with some versions of flipside having that weird reversed intro? like this:

im assuming its just fanmade right?

i asked this around a year ago :’) here’s the explanation:F22736-E5-F1-FC-456-D-8221-20-FC45-DC041

signature.gif

"Feels like sugar in me..."

5 minutes ago, keps2013 said:

i asked this around a year ago :’) here’s the explanation:F22736-E5-F1-FC-456-D-8221-20-FC45-DC041

ohh i see! i actually love the weird reversed intro tho its cool sounding :lmao:

I bet she's so lucky Untitled-video-Made-with-Clipchamp.gif to have a voice like that

last.fm