Mileena

Paradise - Pre-Release Thread

:oprah:

fsWJY.png

But how much is it to be sent over from the UK? :defeated:

http://prettymuchama...aradise-edition

So this says the the original BTD tracks are getting remastered as well. Is this true? Did they see the rants about the production on lanadelrey.fm? or is it old news?

That's pretty cool! No more OTTR cut mistake (that I never heard in the first place), I guess!

Possibly the most excited I've ever been for seeing this album being released; Had a serious fan-girl attack when I saw it; YAYO IS ON THE ALBUM; Give me a minute to recover, please.

tumblr_maz9o9U5KQ1qa45qp.gif

I can't fucking wait for The Paradise Edition nsmfnsjgn. I think the box set is such a good idea, I preordered one a couple of days ago - so excited :)

what happened to heart-shaped box? :(

I was so looking forward to hearing this :( I'm so disappointed! The live performance of it sounds so beautiful, it's such a shame that the video of it isn't too good. :(

20r46kx.jpg

what happened to will you still love me and heart-shaped box? :(

What do you mean? Are you asking "Why hasn't she performed it anymore?" or "Why didn't she release a cover?"?

If you mean the second one, then I kinda've disagree. We have enough cover(s) on the paradise edition. :ohno:

I'm gonna miss demos (or, if we're Monicker, 'different versions') for the album.

Born to Die was such a great album not for the finished product, but for the incredible amount of time, money, production & songwriting effort, and care which was put into the creation of multiple versions of every track that would eventually make the final cut. Let's take a quick example look at 'National Anthem:'

• Written in 2010 with The Nexus and Justin Parker, with a demo produced by The Nexus
  • Demo video is made, complete with assorted film clips and authentic dancing ( :P)
  • Somewhere along the way, Justin produces a completely different arrangement of the song, with choral effects, strings, and a new beat
  • Song is considered and eventually chosen to be a part of the album
  • Completely reworked by Emile Haynie (not sure if the vocals were redone--Monicker?)
  • Released as a single in June of 2012, complete with remixes, a laborious video, and full plotline.

Okay.

Now that Lana is more the """"artist""""" and knows exactly what she wants, any early mixes are going to be very close to the final product. We will probably never again have a 'Diet Mountain Dew' or 'Lolita' situation ever again, no matter how hard we wish it would be.

I'm gonna miss demos (or, if we're Monicker, 'different versions') for the album.

Born to Die was such a great album not for the finished product, but for the incredible amount of time, money, production & songwriting effort, and care which was put into the creation of multiple versions of every track that would eventually make the final cut. Let's take a quick example look at 'National Anthem:'

• Written in 2010 with The Nexus and Justin Parker, with a demo produced by The Nexus
  • Demo video is made, complete with assorted film clips and authentic dancing ( :P)
  • Somewhere along the way, Justin produces a completely different arrangement of the song, with choral effects, strings, and a new beat
  • Song is considered and eventually chosen to be a part of the album
  • Completely reworked by Emile Haynie (not sure if the vocals were redone--Monicker?)
  • Released as a single in June of 2012, complete with remixes, a laborious video, and full plotline.

Okay.

Now that Lana is more the """"artist""""" and knows exactly what she wants, any early mixes are going to be very close to the final product. We will probably never again have a 'Diet Mountain Dew' or 'Lolita' situation ever again, no matter how hard we wish it would be.

Already thirsting for a stripped-down Bel Air demo :defeated:

It's true that all the biggest changes happened on the more upbeat songs (NA, DMD, Lolita), which we don't have here unless Cola or American is similar in style to Off to the Races (beginning doesn't exactly hint at what to expect in the chorus).

Guest Maru the Cat

To be honest, I'm not going to miss this at all, actually. I felt the attempts to create a cohesive sound by reworking already finalized songs were ultimately what ruined the album.

I think there's a certain kind of magic when a producer and a singer work together to create a song -- whether the outcome be the intended sound or something entirely different. It's no coincidence that my favourite songs on the album are Born to Die + Video Games + Blue Jeans -- these songs grew (through production) organically, and weren't already finalized songs trying to crammed into a certain box sound. The rest of the album suffers from this, and it does seem... contrived (?) (not the word I was looking to use, but I'll keep it until a better word comes to me).

This is why I'm so excited for The Paradise Edition! :3 This is the first release since Lana Del Ray that we're going to have a set of songs that grew organically / weren't boxed into an sound. The songs are going to be heard the way they were originally intended to be heard, no re-working or nuthin', and I for one really can't wait!

To be honest, I'm not going to miss this at all, actually. I felt the attempts to create a cohesive sound by reworking already finalized songs were ultimately what ruined the album.

I think I agree with you here. :P "Diet Mountain Dew" was never meant to be forced into the box it was, and as most of the demos testify, this is true for most of the songs.

I think there's a certain kind of magic when a producer and a singer work together to create a song -- whether the outcome be the intended sound or something entirely different. It's no coincidence that my favourite songs on the album are Born to Die + Video Games + Blue Jeans -- these songs grew (through production) organically, and weren't already finalized songs trying to crammed into a certain box sound. The rest of the album suffers from this, and it does seem... contrived (?) (not the word I was looking to use, but I'll keep it until a better word comes to me).

Again, this rings true for me. The pictures of Dave and Lizzy sitting together, smiling together and at the same time going through ideas, is like nothing we have for BTD. I mean, maybe Lana and Chris Braide were close like that, and pergolas bonded over creating the four songs they did do, but I dot get that kid of vibe from BTD as a whole.

This is why I'm so excited for The Paradise Edition! :3 This is the first release since Lana Del Ray that we're going to have a set of songs that grew organically / weren't boxed into an sound. The songs are going to be heard the way they were originally intended to be heard, no re-working or nuthin', and I for one really can't wait!

I can't either! I think, like you mentioned, "Blue Jeans" is a great example. We can tell via the demo we have that Emile and Lana worked on it from the beginning, which is why his production fits so well on it.

It's a tricky situation. A lot of people lean toward cohesiveness (or their idea of what that means) and believe that an album has greater value when it sounds cohesive--that it’s a greater, stronger work as a result of that. But a lot of other people enjoy and prefer a more varied sound. Just how varied exactly? Well, your mileage will vary.

You know what’s cool though? Having an album that is homogenous in sound and another that’s not. She’s young. Her career, as far as the public’s eye, is nascent. I think time will be very kind to her, both with critics and hardened fans. Think about, 10, 15, 20 (!) years from now when Born to Die is one brick in a wall, one patch in a quilt. Hindsight and a different context can alter one’s perception a lot, and reappraising things periodically is part of the game. Imagine if when she has, say, 8 albums out, one of those is even more homogenous in sound than BTD--say an entire album accompanied only by piano; and another one of those albums is so varied in style that it sounds as if you’re listening to a compilation of various artists. And there will probably come a time when she has some archival stuff officially released--another way in which our perception of both the parts and its sum can change. Who knows.

She may scale back on making so many alternate versions of songs, but i highly doubt that she is going to abandon the practice entirely. By the way, some of those alternate versions of songs are demos, eg. Video Games. I’m sure she will at least keep recording demos, in the true sense of the word.

Not sure that any of us can really say how any song was "originally intended to be heard." What do we know?

P.S. Madrigal, i think the NA album vocals might be flown in from the second version, but i’m not positive; i have to listen to/compare them again sometime.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I got a feeling that AMERICAN gonna slay me so hard that even when I lie lifeless on the ground, its golden-brown arrows gonna still thrust my heart.

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

Anyone notice that Blue Velvet, Bel Air, and Yayo are in mono?! :O I think there's a better chance though of one of us getting killed by an elephant dropping from a skyscraper than these songs appearing in mono on the Paradise release (the Blue Velvet single is in stereo) but, damn, that would be great. Too bad it'll never happen.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein