ilovetati

Lana and Barrie are no longer together

About her relationship with fans I think that is more complex than "she's great with fans", because i have the feeling that those first row extravaganzas at every concert of hers are more about her (insecurities) than about the fans. Fans are also those in the back who don't see her for 15 min in a concert because she's taking selfies in the front row. She has garnered some touring experience and It's just ridiculous that the communication between her and the fans during the concert it's limited to some awkwardly uttered "you're amazing". She has powerful songs that could be introduced nicely connecting with the audience and the whole experience would be better. I get the fact that she's not a trained or natural performer and I like the fact that her shows lacks the usual gimmicks and theatrics but I have the feeling that she's investing to little in this meetings while her fans adore her.

I really wonder if you've ever seen any other performers, to make a comment like that. I've seen performers do all sorts of things to deal with their insecurities (which every performer has, and tries to mask in one way or another) - I've seen them get drunk and abuse the audience; I've seen them ignore the audience completely; I've seen them turn up the 'rock star' act to 100% in a tiny club where they looked ridiculous; I've had artists pull me up on stage so that I could dance around [note: I'm a not particularly good looking guy who clearly wasn't being brought up for the eye candy value], and distract everyone's attention from what was going on.

Lana, in those times she's directly with her fans, seems so embarrassingly, ridiculously real that it almost hurts to watch her. If she acted any differently outside of shows, I'd wonder, but she's the same in every video I've ever seen of her meeting fans in the street, outside shows, at random encounters, and so on. She actually doesn't owe anybody anything in these meetings, but she has always seemed to me (as someone who's only seen videos) to be as genuine as is possible. If you want to experience a singer who introduces every song and sings every line to the back row, you can check out pretty much every other pop artist in the world at the moment. Lana is one of the very few singers around who is actually unpredictable and exciting enough to make watching videos worthwhile - you never know how she's going to sing something, or what she's going to do. Almost nothing is scripted, and the things that she repeats are so awkward and charming that she never looks like she's just crossing them off her list.

The end of relationships in real life is almost never like it is in the movies - it's messy and ugly and heartbreaking, and it never makes any of the parties involved look good. Lana herself puts it beautifully in 'Cruel World' by singing 'I'm finally happy, now that you're gone', and sounding like she's about to break down.

I find the easiest way of making sense of all of her contradictions and strange statements is to consider her a regular person, unschooled in how to act correctly, but trying to do the right thing. Sort of like the rest of us, when we're at our best.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

longtimeman, on 28 Jun 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

Lana is one of the very few singers around who is actually unpredictable and exciting enough to make watching videos worthwhile

I saw many of her concert videos and she does the same things over and over again, ritualistically: the same gestures when she sings Born To Die, she goes behind Blake when he is soloing, she comes down to the first row during National Anthem, smoking on stage etc. The only things that make her shows work are the powerful sing-along songs mostly from BTD, the fact that the fans adore her and in part because she is beautiful. Her interpretation on stage is mediocre at best and sometimes is outright weak with little emotional investment. She's "real" for the fans and "inauthentic" for her detractors for the same thing: her unpolished performances. But this is getting off topic

When her look compensates for everything else on stage, she's absolutely gorgeous, you can watch her even without the music:

You nailed it. I think similarly but could never put it so nicely. Thanks heaps!

I really wonder if you've ever seen any other performers, to make a comment like that. I've seen performers do all sorts of things to deal with their insecurities (which every performer has, and tries to mask in one way or another) - I've seen them get drunk and abuse the audience; I've seen them ignore the audience completely; I've seen them turn up the 'rock star' act to 100% in a tiny club where they looked ridiculous; I've had artists pull me up on stage so that I could dance around [note: I'm a not particularly good looking guy who clearly wasn't being brought up for the eye candy value], and distract everyone's attention from what was going on.

Lana, in those times she's directly with her fans, seems so embarrassingly, ridiculously real that it almost hurts to watch her. If she acted any differently outside of shows, I'd wonder, but she's the same in every video I've ever seen of her meeting fans in the street, outside shows, at random encounters, and so on. She actually doesn't owe anybody anything in these meetings, but she has always seemed to me (as someone who's only seen videos) to be as genuine as is possible. If you want to experience a singer who introduces every song and sings every line to the back row, you can check out pretty much every other pop artist in the world at the moment. Lana is one of the very few singers around who is actually unpredictable and exciting enough to make watching videos worthwhile - you never know how she's going to sing something, or what she's going to do. Almost nothing is scripted, and the things that she repeats are so awkward and charming that she never looks like she's just crossing them off her list.

The end of relationships in real life is almost never like it is in the movies - it's messy and ugly and heartbreaking, and it never makes any of the parties involved look good. Lana herself puts it beautifully in 'Cruel World' by singing 'I'm finally happy, now that you're gone', and sounding like she's about to break down.

I find the easiest way of making sense of all of her contradictions and strange statements is to consider her a regular person, unschooled in how to act correctly, but trying to do the right thing. Sort of like the rest of us, when we're at our best.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

I was on  a Gossip concert once and it was a really comfortable one cause the band was so funny and friendly, mainly because they acted natural. They are used to be on stage and seem to feel comfortable.

Lana is , compared to them, a newbie and more nervous. Still she doesn't pretend anything in order to appear natural in a way she isn't. She is a little bit shy but still a really friendly person towards her fans. I'm not the biggest fan of the first-row-exclusive-things, but it's something she likes to do and ... well would be hard for her to geth through the whole audience, if you consider all those fans who seem to forget that there is something like a personal distance, even if you admire a singer and even if she acts nicely. Lana seems a little bit awkward sometimes, but that's something really relatable and not anything I would blame her for.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Didn't she also say once in a interview that she drops to one knee, or walks down to the crowd because she is so nervous and shaky. So not that's its a deliberate act. But more the idea that she feels I need to get away from the podium for a moment.

sorry, totally of topic.

Didn't she also say once in a interview that she drops to one knee, or walks down to the crowd because she is so nervous and shaky. So not that's its a deliberate act. But more the idea that she feels I need to get away from the podium for a moment.

sorry, totally of topic.

I hope that she will not do that today at Glastonbury

I so agree with Bloodredjam and longtimeman, even though their opinion is opposite, they both make sense and kinda define why I love Lana so much. Contrasts and contradictions...

I so agree with Bloodredjam and longtimeman, even though their opinion is opposite, they both make sense and kinda define why I love Lana so much. Contrasts and contradictions...

I'm glad we can be united in this  :heart:

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Guest Dot

BreyV_vCAAEyOuj.jpg

Put me onto your black motorcycle

50's baby doll dress for "I do"

It only takes two hours to Nevada

I wear your sparkle, you call me your Mama

:hair: