Sign in to follow this  
timinmass101

Ultraviolence in light of Lana's Breakup

How much of Ultraviolence do you think was inspired by her relationship with Barry ending?  As I listen to the first seven songs, "Cruel World" through "Pretty When You Cry" they make a lot more of a cohesive grouping when taken in light of a failing relationship.  Any thoughts?

Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talkin' to.

I feel like most of it was recorded or written whatever while they were on the rocks, because there's only 2 (?) songs that I can think of that are about B. Like BB, the line in Brooklyn Baby, possibly SoC? the fact that the BB is a bonus and she made it so clear the album ended on TOW, she doesn't thank him in the thankyous (although I know a lot of people don't thank their significant others), has so many songs that seem to be about old lovers and her "love you forever"... I feel like she recorded it while already feeling disconnected from the relationship.

I have gold in my veins

I knew Lana not thanking Barrie would turn out like Hilary not thanking Chad!  :ohno:

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Can anyone answer when the last time they were seen together is out and about in public or an event? I saw her in Vancouver, and I know he comes with her on tour, any signs of B joining her on her most recent tour? :( I liked them together. I'm sad she's potentially going through a breakup... Or maybe it's been done for awhile but it's just coming to light now? Hmmmmmm  :ohno: chin up bb girl. She seems more sad lately.

Is This Happiness and Flipside seem to be about this topic ... ITH is kind of the story about two writing artists, who break up cause they don't get along anymore. Also, there are a lot of FS has this "maybe we'll try it later again" topic, which fits some of her statements  about the "currently not together".

For the rest of the songs, I don't really think they are about the break-up-  they may mention one, but I don't think it's about the ending relationship with Barrie. I don't think EVERYTHING she does is completely autobiographic, in the end there could be things/feelings from her past as well as fictional stories she wants to tell.

Black Beauty in general could be about Barrie, but since it was written when they were still together, I don't think it's about a break up - reason. 

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Listening through Ultraviolence, aside from the "I'll love you forever" tracks, songs like "Is This Happiness", "Flipside", "Cruel World", "Pretty When You Cry", etc. I fucking love. Not that I revel in her relationship deteriorating, but personally, I feel they're more relatable. And yeah, I think they're about Barrie.

Feels fresh finally seeing Lana with a different attitude towards a failing relationship.

Barrie and Lana we're separated for sure by late March/April, when he went to "emotional rehab" and had to leave their house in LA. So I imagine that all the songs were finished and mastered for Ultraviolence already.

I don't think the story of Ultraviolence is about Barrie but if she was going through a break up at the same time while re-hashing an older break up, there's certainly the time to reflect and notice some overlaps. Why devote and entire album to the story of a single man when maybe it's more the story of her relationships with men?

....****~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"I Believe in the Kindness of Strangers......"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~****....