larina

Is Lana Into B.D.S.M.?

I was going to first send this as a status update, then I was going to post it in the Thread for Minor General Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread thread, but then I thought this could cause a big discussion so I created its own thread. If any Mods seem to disagree, they can, of course, move this into the TFMGQTDDTOT thread.

Alright, so there's songs like Push Me Down and lyrics like I like it when you treat me mean from Hundred Dollar Bill and the Hit me and tell me "You're mine!" line from the Diet Mountain Dew demo. And then there's the Hit me and it felt like a kiss line that Lana quotes in several songs. There's also her response to when an interviewer asked her why she's always choked in her music videos, and her response being: "I like a little hardcore love".

Is this chick into B.D.S.M. or what? 

The whole "Daddy" nickname mightn't only reference Lolita but also B.D.S.M.-like relationships. Now, I don't know much about all of this but I know "Daddy: is a common title of the male if he is the dominant. 

Discuss whether you think Lana might be into this stuff or not :brows:

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

Serious answer - who knows what she likes 'behind closed doors', but she definitely seems to like thinking about it. One of the not at all salacious aspects of BDSM is that it lets people relive traumatic or shitty experiences in a safe setting, so that they can move from being controlled by those events, to controlling them. I get that feeling off a number of her songs (the Ride film clip seems to be a huge exercise in this). It's a type of empowerment that doesn't really fit 'positive thinking' or 'girl power' narratives, so it's a little more hidden in popular culture. 

So if Lana can reclaim and rewrite her past in her songs, does she need to do it in her life through BDSM? I have no idea. Everything else is gossip, which I'll leave to people who like to do that ...

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

i can already tell that this will be my favorite thread on LanaBoards

I'm glad I decided to post this as a separate thread then :)

Serious answer - who knows what she likes 'behind closed doors', but she definitely seems to like thinking about it. One of the not at all salacious aspects of BDSM is that it lets people relive traumatic or shitty experiences in a safe setting, so that they can move from being controlled by those events, to controlling them. I get that feeling off a number of her songs (the Ride film clip seems to be a huge exercise in this). It's a type of empowerment that doesn't really fit 'positive thinking' or 'girl power' narratives, so it's a little more hidden in popular culture. 

So if Lana can reclaim and rewrite her past in her songs, does she need to do it in her life through BDSM? I have no idea. Everything else is gossip, which I'll leave to people who like to do that ...

Hmm, true, very true :agree:

short answer, probably. lanz is sub.

Yeah, she'd be submissive, as I've read that she was called as "submissive" before, and that is when I started realising this.

Wasn't there an interview this summer, where she had a bdsm book on her table and when the interviewer noticed she said something like "no shame."

I wanted to say this too.

She's probably into kinky stuff, but she doesn't strike me as the person who would make a big deal out of it, like, she doesn't see sex as a degrading or dirty thing. And really we shouldn't. Everybody does it.

If she is into those kind of things, so what. It doesn't really matter, as far as we are concerned she is an amazing singer and we love her.

AzDJPLj.gif

Is that from the Mindy Project? :cuteface:

And to reply to this topic, I think for sure. I agree with ataraxia, she is submissive, and I actually really like the theory that she is trying to rewrite her past. I'm going to misuse the illimilana emoticon again. :illumilana: Although, there's still a part of me that thinks she is trying to create a past.

Her sexual life's probably like in her videos...and reading about something doesn't mean practicing it, especially not be into sexual healing.

As for lyrics, she said about that UV song it's about her times, when she had some guru, so she explains in song how he made her feel pain, as it's pleasure, so from that, she should be against BDSM too.

I can't picture her being into the sado stuff, but I think she's into light bondage and submission. 

Exactly what I think: she's not into hardcore BDSM. I would add that she probably enjoy some role play as well. I can imagine her as a naughty schoolgirl being spanked by her teacher :P

Lana seems to be quite kinky, why not?A little bondage here, some submission there a couple wip's and handcuffs here and there :popcorn: 

hummm...I think Ride in particular is very related to the backlash she got  and her struggling years trying to get "noticed" and successful and nothing related to actual sex.  Actually Lana tells you what the song is about from the beginning:

Don't break me down 
I've been traveling too long 
I've been trying too hard 
With one pretty song 

IMO is a clear reference to Video Games, the one pretty song that was successful, her one pretty song.

During the monologue and song you can get tons of reference to that. I guess the prostitute part is also figurative and not literally. Which fits Lana's writing that is very figurative when describing time/eras, sensations or feelings. The prostitute or prostitution in question is the sold out, the "she's a product of Interscope and her fathers money" , she's a fake because Lana Del Rey is not her real name. Prostitutes sell themselves, use fake names,  it's the use of figurative language which is fair common in Lana's material

I believe in the country America used to be

I believe in the kindness of strangers 

I just ride

It's fair to say Ride isn't  sex, actual prostitution 

glgcDdT.gif

I don't think there's anything wrong about being curious about this, but if you're going to take a few lines out of a few songs as evidence for something there is a danger of concluding too much from too little. She also talks a lot about drinking in her songs, so BDSM may be something like that? 

I think she likes obsessive-love related themes (I prefer the term obsessive to submissive), and her highly emotional style makes her seem a bit more subversive (aka authentic) than average. She may have been involved with badass males as one gets involved with drugs (also in her lyrics). However, she is also ambivalent about male badasses (e.g. Butterflies pt. 1 and 2) and likes to play a badass herself (Kinda out of luck, serial killer, playing dangerous, she's not me). The badasses in Ride where remarkably not depicted as such. She emotes feministically (Scarface, Noir), and while she wants to be "one of those girls" in MariIyn Monroe, she also knows she has us totally enthralled (in Dum Dum, where we linger even though she's mean). I just don't see her art as too heavily fixated on any *one kind* of obsessiveness. As for her real life? Neither Barrie nor Francesco give me BDSM vibes, and neither does LDR, tbh, when she tweets stuff like the Ertha Kitt video on relationships and compromises.

As for the "Boudoir Bible" that was referenced as being in Francessco's apt (RollingStone) @@ilovetati & @ mentioned, here's a youtube advert/video for it:

There is some BDSM referenced in the diagrams, but the goal emphasized is enhancing pleasure and not hurting the partner.

Well, we know she loves his ultraviolence.

Actually, that's interesting. "Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls" playing in the background of the chorus of "Ultraviolence" kind of makes it sound like she's asking him to give her all of his ultraviolence when he lays her down... Hmm... ;)

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto5_500.jpg

Exactly what I think: she's not into hardcore BDSM. I would add that she probably enjoy some role play as well. I can imagine her as a naughty schoolgirl being spanked by her teacher :P

Or the priest... Anyone else remember that whole thing with the reverend? Maybe that was just a roleplay?

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto5_500.jpg