Sign in to follow this  
Just Cherry

I Can Fly

Probably my favorite part about these songs. I hope her new record will include more songs where the female is strong. 

Highly unlikely. These songs are mostly written from Margaret Keane's point of view, not Lana's...

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Probably my favorite part about these songs. I hope her new record will include more songs where the female is strong. 

That would be great, and would be more in line with the actual private life of Lana circa 2014/15, as opposed to Lana circa 2005.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

The outro features the sound of children and thus blends perfectly into Bel Air.

Young & Beautiful, I Can Fly, Bel Air, Old Money are the "Mid-July"-quadruple.

In Y&B she talks about the future and how she thinks it will be.

I Can Fly is in the present but an earlier present than Bel Air which is the immediate present.

Old Money is her future self reminiscing about the past.

Yes! I noticed that about Bel Air and ICF blending together today too, they sound great back to back 

I very clearly hear "where I'd rise like a Phoenix or an iron from the fire" .....

I'm almost positive this is the line. It sounds like what she's singing, and it works poetically. There are metaphors to do with a hot iron: "strike while the iron is hot"; "several irons in the fire" ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/irons_in_the_fire ). 

I agree about hearing 'iron from the fire' in terms of the metaphor - having many irons in the fire - her man is cheating on her with others, so she is rising up from the fire and no longer being one of his many irons in the fire. I definitely don't hear an 's' sound for soaring either?

'So I try to say goodbye my friend // I'd like to leave you with something warm // But never have I been a blue calm sea // I have always been a storm'

I agree about hearing 'iron from the fire' in terms of the metaphor - having many irons in the fire - her man is cheating on her with others, so she is rising up from the fire and no longer being one of his many irons in the fire. I definitely don't hear an 's' sound for soaring either?

You probably don't hear the "s" because "phoenix" finishes with an "s" sound itself; unless you purposely put a break between the two words in a sentence, they're basically going to merge together.

I'm not knocking down the possibility that "or an iron" might be the line, but in the context of the verse altogether, along with the theme of the song, "like a phoenix soaring high and from the fire" seems a lot more cohesive to me. I can't really grasp onto the imagery of iron rising from a fire unless a blacksmith is picking it up to beat it into shape with a mallet, which is ULTRAVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOLENCE~

You probably don't hear the "s" because "phoenix" finishes with an "s" sound itself; unless you purposely put a break between the two words in a sentence, they're basically going to merge together.

I'm not knocking down the possibility that "or an iron" might be the line, but in the context of the verse altogether, along with the theme of the song, "like a phoenix soaring high and from the fire" seems a lot more cohesive to me. I can't really grasp onto the imagery of iron rising from a fire unless a blacksmith is picking it up to beat it into shape with a mallet, which is ULTRAVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOLENCE~

But 'soaring high and from the fire' is a terrible, clunky phrase in English (about on the level of 'ah he's in the sky with diamonds', which she also doesn't sing.)

ETA: Referring to both a Phoenix and an Iron is a pretty cool mixed metaphor, describing two different types of thing that come out of a fire, suggesting different aspects of her personality.

But 'soaring high and from the fire' is a terrible, clunky phrase in English (about on the level of 'ah he's in the sky with diamonds', which she also doesn't sing.)

ETA: Referring to both a Phoenix and an Iron is a pretty cool mixed metaphor, describing two different types of thing that come out of a fire, suggesting different aspects of her personality.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, it's so fucking clunky, I also felt it was "soaring higher from the fire," but I do hear an "n" somewhere before the "from."

I am so goddamn unsure, this is why I endorse lyric videos. Someone should spam Lana with "WHAT IS IT" tweets.

You're right about the 's' sound, I had forgotten that somehow! But as pointed out above, 'Soaring high and from the fire' is ridiculously clunky, even for the occasionally grammatically challenged LDR :)

Also the pronunciation and emphasis if it is indeed 'soaring' is way off, again even by LDR's admittedly low standards when it comes to that.

'So I try to say goodbye my friend // I'd like to leave you with something warm // But never have I been a blue calm sea // I have always been a storm'

Guest Dot

Lana Del Rey, "Ultraviolence (The Feminist Edition)" #comingsoon

Guest Dot

And it will be abou ultraviolently beating up men?

Gives "Music To Watch Boys To" a quite different meaning ...

Yes. Lana will talk about her recent adventures as a dominatrix.