Sign in to follow this  
Sitar

Member of the Month (December): Trash Magic

In observance of the month-long national holiday in honor of Jackson Novem and paying respect to your obliterated faves' careers, I made the executive decision to skip #NOVEMber and make Trash Magic December's MOTM! He's someone who has been kicking around since the very beginning of this community so needless to say this was long overdue and quite deserved. Give it up for our graphic artist and grammar icon extraordinaire and make this year go outwithabang.mp3

Member of the Month: Trash Magic!

1. What did you do on the day you answered this questionnaire?

Basic day went to college left 4 hours early and went into town because I wasn’t feeling it

SH: :hdu: Ice Princess on iTunes now!

2. How did you celebrate #NOVEMber?

By listening to Jack’s long-awaited debut album, Trans-Suburban Fantasy! 

3. Take a picture of yourself answering these questions right now.

ejDwK6r.jpg

SH: Interesting. The juxtaposition of that white headboard on the brown blinds is a commentary on race in 2014 and how we are all kept blind and imprisoned by a white patriarchy in the domestic space. Yet here Trash boldly puts a white man in the focal point, offering a casual hand gesture that makes us wonder if we will ever really have peace at all. Will his artistry never end?

4. What's something not many people know about you or that we would be surprised to learn about?

Drawing is my first love - recently i’ve been working a lot with watercolours, they usually end up being photo-realistic paintings of animals like giraffes and camels lol. I love drawing portraits and i’d like to explore photography more with my own concepts etc.

SH: Get into this Big Eyes promo guys

5. What's your current career? What's your dream job?

Currently a student studying art + design. Dream job would be a publishing designer/digital retoucher working for a music/art/culture magazine like Wonderland, i-D or something like Vanity Fair, Harper’s Bazaar. Something predominantly photography based

6. What are your hobbies or passions?

Pretty much what I said above, drawing and watercolour painting, although it’s usually a traumatic experience because I feel like I put so much pressure on myself and I have an irrational fear of doing something wrong to the point where it actually prevents me from doing anything - thus continue the cycle of stress. I’ve always been obsessed with print and design so that led me to experiment with photoshop etc. I’ve also really taken to writing over the past 12 months, I find it very satisfying.

7. What is your favorite memory?

Probably most recently, notting hill carnival this year with friends. Everything just seemed to go wrong, being stranded at the train station for over 2 hours the night before to it raining non-stop for 14 hours on the day and practically developing pneumonia. But it was so amazing even being drowned, the atmosphere was crazy there were so many people and it was so much fun dancing behind the floats playing the loudest music, drinking etc and eating the best caribbean food

8. Lana's junior and high school years have been rather chaotic from what we know. How were/are yours?

Really nothing turbulent, I enjoyed high school I think it was the time that I changed the most in myself and my interests and in realising what I want to do. I really liked everybody and it’s sad that most people have gone their separate ways, I miss that sense of community you have there and it’s been fun reuniting with people I haven’t seen in the past 3 years over the last few months!

9. If you could bring two people back from the dead, have an exquisite dinner, and some great conversation with them...who would they be and what would you eat?

Maybe Walt Disney and Jean-Michel Basquiat because they are both infinitely interesting. It would be so interesting to talk about merchandising, the creation of Disney, and those conspiracies about it. And then Basquiat’s artwork and stories about New York in the 80s

10. Do you believe in any form of life after death?

No, but I don’t like think about it. It’s like, my biggest fear. When I was younger i’d often wake up in the middle of the night and physically feeling like I needed to vomit just thinking about it and it still happens occasionally.

SH: I've never really thought of the relevance of death questions on a Lana Del Rey forum's MOTM until just now eek/lel

11. Who is the person you admire most and why?

I’ve never really considered this question. I guess anybody who has persevered and worked hard at overcoming something to follow their dreams and ended up where they wanted to be. 

SH: Subtle Sitar praise, thanks Trash! ;)

12. Do you have a LanaBoards BFF?

Obviously HeadBitch, i’m so glad we started talking like 3 years ago now! :O I feel like we are really in sync and have accomplished a lot in building a tumblr empire   :beyonce: and has been very beneficial in seeing some amazing things   :smokeney: I really respect his opinion and i’m glad we are friends. 

I feel like I have a special connection with Sabreen and evilentity also, and i’m always interested in their opinions!

And i’m just a general fan of SitarHero, Jack, Arzi, cartoon eyes, Rebel, Dan Castro, urbannoize, Kiki etc but everyone is pretty coooool

SH: :xcry: + say hello to that @@HeadBitch

13. Make up a word that you would use daily and describe what it means.

Just add “af” as a suffix to really emphasise said word. Like, this question is stupidaf.

14. Drag me (SitarHero).

Do you intentionally choose to stan most impossibly obscure, irrelevant artists on the face of the internet or is it by chance?

that was weak  :facepalm:

SH: Lissie is never happening, now get into this gig: http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/blog/20/entry-592-sitarheros-musical-countdown-to-2015-part-1/ :slayty:

15. If your balls were a celebrity couple, who would they be?

Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick 

SH: Okay can we just talk about how the other two will never have anything on Khristney...I need someone to agree and I feel like you're the one.

16. When did you become a fan of Lana? What was it about her that attracted you to her?

July 3rd 2011 via the Video Games music video on youtube which at the time had around 20,000 views. What immediately attracted me to her was her striking looks, her hair looked so heavy and her lips so full. In that video she still seems like a different version to her actual self now we are obviously more accustomed to her. The sense of nostalgia that videos evokes still gets me, it really is magical. I had just turned 15 at the time and was really starting to discover new kinds of music and listen to different artists, and I thought “Finally! An indie artist nobody knows about who I can be a fan of!” That worked out so well!

17. Which Lana album is your favorite: Ultraviolence, Paradise, Born to Die, Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant, Sirens, or From the End/Quiet Now?

I think it’s a toss up between Lana Del Ray and Ultraviolence. But i’d say Lana Del Ray, because of the history around that album, I think the fact she was this nobody and producing such incredible music, working around studying at university, living in a trailer park and writing songs at night time on the train is so endearing. If I recall, David said they always recorded in the evening and at night. This atmosphere really comes through the whole album and it has this wonderful quality to it where you want to drive around at night listening to it. I think it’s the closest Lana has come to incorporating all of those early visual influences into her music, it’s very all-american and kitsch. And it’s perfect listening at this time of the year walking around at night.

18. Favorite Lana song? Why?

This is a really difficult question, I used to love Hundred Dollar Bill the most - obviously the original version of Yayo is timeless, but I think right not it would have to be My Best Days. The atmosphere that song creates is so strong. The simplicity in the repetition of the verses - the inflection in her voice and the sincerity I think is largely unmatched. It sounds so natural and unforced, not laden with aggressive samples and production. And I guess just because i’m so fixated on her life pre-fame, I kinda imagine this song as sort of admitting defeat, where she feels content with just having this person and nothing else matters. And that long outro just intensifies every feeling in the song, it’s like the credits beginning to roll.

SH: Bye that was beautiful

19. Least favorite Lana song? Why?

I really hate the poppy stuff from 2010, like Match Made in Heaven, Breaking My Heart, Behind Closed Doors. just seem very false, messy and there’s no recollection of what makes Lana great in those tracks.

SH: What did you expect from the Hollywood lifestyle? :die:

20. If given the opportunity to meet Lana for an hour, what would you do/say?

I’d have a lot of questions, mainly i’d love to have a really in depth conversation with her about her visuals. From information about her past as a teen model, finding out the details about biker magazine she mentioned posing for, the B-movies she appeared in. Her working relationship with Chuck, their influences starting off in 2007 with that all-american imagery, then finally collaborating with my favourite Neil Krug this year, who i’ve been a fan of since 2012 when he started working with First Aid Kit for their album and have been rallying for him to work with Lana since.   :justride2:  What kind of prophecy. I have his book and am just so in awe.

I would also have to ask her about the Elvis songs she covered for Born To Die - that has always been so interesting to me. I hope one of them would have been An American Trilogy. Can you imagine?

21. Would you rather love and be loved or know all God knows?

I don’t believe in god so… love and be loved

22. Has Lana affected your everyday life in any way?

Yes, just by changing my music taste and the things I listen to. I think every shoot she has done has been of such quality, and by being so enamoured with all of them I’ve become so interested in and appreciative of photography in general. And through us having such an insight into her work through leaked demos, photoshoot outtakes I have such an interest in everything that happens behind the scenes.

23. Of all the unreleased videos and songs we have knowledge of, what do you thirst for most?

Goddamn.. Her cover of Where The Boys Are would be incredible, and perfectly fitting on a record called Music To Watch Boys To. The Rex Arrow Film the director teased with a screen cap after I prompted him, along with a private video she has uploaded to her youtube account of her playing guitar and singing from 2010… 

SH: Bitch WHAT

24. What is the best part of being a Lana fan? The worst?

The best part is just the music, she is so genuinely talented and gifted and unlike any other artists I can think of, we have the opportunity to look at her creative processed and witness her growth and range in all of these 100s of demos which we shouldn’t even know exist! Then those annoying ass trolls on twitter because you always have to see these stupid replies, they just make me so angry and they have nothing to offer. And also the people who try so hard to be just like her and try to portray their own lives like the one they hear in her lyrics. S.M.H.

25. Who are your favorite artists?

Lana Del Rey, Beyoncé, JAY Z, Kanye West, Lissie, Kings of Leon, Lauryn Hill, Nelly Furtado, First Aid Kit, Norah Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Drake, Rihanna

26. What is your favorite movie? Book? Song?

Favourite movie  The Wolf of Wall Street / Friends With Money.

I really don’t have a favourite book, I read Holes like 5 times in high school because we were forced to read something.

Favourite song, this is so timeless and reminds me of so many great memories!

27. What was the last book you read?

The Wolf of Wall Street but I haven’t finished it or picked it up in months, I was never really a fan of reading.

28. Recommend us a song that we just have to listen to!

I just feel in love with Lauryn Hill this year really. I had heard this song for years before through Colbie Caillat's cover version, which is still really good held to the original. 

29. If you ever became a musician, what would you make your stage name?

SAMO like a play on my name and the graffiti tag. Lame but who cares cause it will never happen  :toofunny: 

30. What comes after “Lana Del Rey” in your music library?

Laura Mvula

31. Put your iPod/music library on shuffle and tell us which 10 songs are played. Don't skip, don't cheat!

1. Kings of Leon - True Love Way
  2. Drake - Own It
  3. Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
  4. Beyonce - Run The World (Girls)
  5. Nelly Furtado - Hey, Man!
  6. Etta James - At Last
  7. Taylor Swift - Breathe
  8. JAY Z - Nickels and Dimes
  9. Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesound
  10. JAY Z - A Star Is Born

32. What is your favorite Jackson Novem song?

Bought My Way Up To The Top   :bop: Really I felt this was a turning point in the way paypal is used in the present day

SH: #InNOVEMtive king!

33. Do you hate anyone? If so, why?

If I hate them then I generally enjoy talking about them with somebody else so they are at least entertaining.

34. What are the small things in life that make you as happy as a clam?

Buying new stuff!

Conversations with strangers where you have a real common interest in something!

Getting shit for free!

Going to sleep early and not waking up feeling like a corpse!

Incense sticks!

Cranberry juice!

SH: pumeciG.gif

35. What is a characteristic / trait you see in others that you wish you had?

Determination and drive. I usually struggle with self motivation so i’d love to be able to just sit down and work and not be so easily distracted.

36. What are your pet peeves or deal-breakers when it comes to friends/relationships?

I generally am friends with people who like pretty much very similar things as me, and I don’t think I can really be close to anybody who just has completely different interests. I know people say opposites attract and whatever but for me it’s never been that way, I just kind of zone out and don’t feel any connection. People who can be serious or stupid at the right time, not too much of either. Just obvious stuff really.

37. What would you say is your favorite physical trait + personality trait in potential partner?

Dark hair, usually darker skin and someone who it feels effortless talking to and you don’t have to filter yourself because you know they care about what you say no matter how small or stupid.

SH: That sounds like my cat

38. do u like pies

Finally! The hard hitting questions. I don’t really have a strong opinion on pies and they aren’t a huge factor in my day-to-day life!  :biblio: 

39. what is ur favourite kind of pie

Pecan or lemon meringue

40. do u enjoy flying kites, if so, what would ur ideal kite look like, describe it

I’m so confused

BONUS: Is there anything you'd like to tell the community of LanaBoards?

You’ll never be lanadelrey.fm! 

important-1.gif

No but this is a really great community of interesting and creative people! It’s the only place where you can actually appreciate and learn about Lana as an artist and not just blindly praise everything she does etc.

Also #NewTheme for the site please tumblr_nfun7osSj31qftigpo1_400.gif

SH: Let's see about a sidebar first shall we tumblr_nfun7osSj31qftigpo1_400.gif

read it for the mentions of me, finished it actually interested, happy forever #NOVEMber!

oh and please keep the fav Jackson Novem song for every interview

89550-F07-DF2-F-4739-9-AB0-552-DF4549773.jpg

Fun interview! Congrats and happy holidays, Trash Magic.

1. What did you do on the day you answered this questionnaire?

Basic day went to college left 4 hours early and went into town because I wasn’t feeling it

SH: :hdu: Ice Princess on iTunes now!

lmao I want to fight you for this!

SH: I've never really thought of the relevance of death questions on a Lana Del Rey forum's MOTM until just now eek/lel

Masked as a fan but hiding sinister ambitions and angles. Your leading questions about death and persona were calculated. :crossed:

:troll:

I feel like I have a special connection with Sabreen and evilentity also, and i’m always interested in their opinions!

Back at ya. Hurrah for the OG SINners.

14. Drag me (SitarHero).

Do you intentionally choose to stan most impossibly obscure, irrelevant artists on the face of the internet or is it by chance?

that was weak  :facepalm:

I know, like some weird Kiwi teenager is ever going to amount to anything...

SH: Lissie is never happening

She's coming at you like a dark horse.

~I really luv your answers I thing [sic] they're sorta fantastic - they're trashy and nostalgic~

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

You are really interesting, loved your answers, congrats, you deserve it, I've seen in in the few months i've been here.  :flutter:

Idk if this is off topic but I find you very cute   :hae:

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

3. Take a picture of yourself answering these questions right now.

ejDwK6r.jpg

SH: Interesting. The juxtaposition of that white headboard on the brown blinds is a commentary on race in 2014 and how we are all kept blind and imprisoned by a white patriarchy in the domestic space. Yet here Trash boldly puts a white man in the focal point, offering a casual hand gesture that makes us wonder if we will ever really have peace at all. Will his artistry never end?

:omfg2:  :omfg2:  :omfg2:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

love u 

and u are so cute trash 

ZRBNill.jpg