ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

I thought it might be useful to dedicate one thread to the early tidbits of info we are getting about Lana'a up-coming fourth studio album.

Here's what we have thus far:

Interview for The Fader:

I’m a big jazz aficionado. Hopefully my next foray will be into jazz. I feel like I’m getting there with songs like ‘Shades of Cool’ and ‘Cruel World’ and a cover of ‘The Other Woman’ by Nina Simone. I’m inching towards what I really love, which is kind of a Chet Baker, Nina Simone-inspired sound. It’s hard to get that sound because you need great jazz musicians. 

---

http://lizzydelgrant.tumblr.com/post/90085038067

Interviewer: You will record something tonight, do you know what it is, or right now?

Lana: I do, yeah I do. I have this idea for this record called "Music to Watch Boys To," so. Yeah, I'm just kind of thinking about that and what that would mean [laughs].

---

Interview for Galore Magazine:

Are you working on anything new?
Yeah, I just wrote two songs for Tim Burton and Harvey Weinstein’s film called Big Eyes and I’m working on a new record. I’m also always writing small pieces for independent films etc. Dan Heath and Rick Nowels are two of my dearest friends and producers and we are always up to something.

---

Interview for Grazia Magazine

What is your state of mind now?
I’m afraid this album will be forgotten. I’m always afraid good things will be forgotten, burried. Musically, I’m still looking for something different, with majestic choruses, beautiful orchestrations, a type of 50s vibe with a bit of soft grunge. Since march, I’ve been writing a lot of new songs, in a more conventional way -the verses, then the refrain, with a strong jazzy influence. I’m having a lot of fun with all of that. And next year, I’ll tour across the USA. I’ve been doing it only once before and I was really moved, especially in Detroit where I could feel the weight of its History. So, that’s why I decided I wanted to do it again, this time with my friend Courtney Love, for two months. My new album will come out after, maybe for late-august.
Did you writing style change for this next record?
My lyrics are very similar to me, who I truly am, but I must admit that I’m currently trying to do some new things. It’s a bit surrealist, full of colors. I feel much more inspired by people like Mark Ryden, Fellini or Picasso… Oh, I’m totally fond of this documentary: “Fellini : I’m a Born Liar”, which explains that the film-maker was in love with his hometown, and each of his movies is like one of its facets. I like his idea, the fact that truth should never impede to a beautiful lie… (she smiles)

You seem to like evoking the 50s imagery in your songs: the golden age of recording studios, ladies singing late at night with their big band…
Yeah, I love it. I love nightlife, the mood that comes from it. That’s why I wanted to meet Mark Ronson: I played him ten songs I just composed for this next album. Not so much that he added his usual signature, soul and funk, but rather it explores a sound close to the golden age of jazz. I wasn’t even born in the 50s but I feel like I was there. And when I still was living in New York, I was looking for this dream, maybe some other girls had the same, to live as a singer in a jazz club where I could sing some standards, but my own compositions too. I had a very ‘romantic’ vision of what a singer’s life should be. I daydreamed about tours in Europe, just like Chet Baker did, for example.

---

Billboard Magazine:

Lana Del Rey has nine songs written for her next album, titled Honeymoon -- four of which "the production is perfect; I'm looking for a few more songs to tie everything together" -- and thanks to her cinematic new song, she's also in the thick of awards season.

Does the Big Eyes song give us any indication of how the new album will sound?

It's very different from the last one and similar to the first two, Born to Die and Paradise. I finished my last one [Ultraviolence] in March and released it in June and I had a follow-up idea. It's growing into something I really like. I'm kind of enjoying sinking into this more noirish feel for this one. It's been good.

You're still writing everything?
I'm doing a cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood." After doing a cover of [Jessie Mae Robinson's] "The Other Woman," I like summarizing the record with a jazz song. I'm having fun with my interpretation.

I assume you're relying on the Nina Simone versions?
"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and "The Other Woman" are my favorites. I'm so so much [a fan].

---

Mark Ronson for Triple J:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s4174087.htm

Says that he rumors of his involvement with Honeymoon are an "internet thing," but says he has heard "beautiful tracks" and does not want to comment on anything before Lana does. However, he says that he has not worked on anything (yet?)

---

The Inquirer:

" feel that the three records were so heavy and autobiographical. It’s been so cathartic. I like to use my previous work as a jump-off point to do something new. I’m ready to go into more of a ‘Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds’ surrealist place. That’s why I really do like what I heard about Fellini and all of the movies that were overdubbed and the actors were counting and not saying lines. I couldn’t believe that.

---

Inrockuptibles:

"Everybody has asked why I wanted to end Ultraviolence by a cover of The Other Woman by Nina Simone. Because she says everything, because I love jazz and may be because it could a door for what could be the next album."

---

Mark Ronson for Interview Magazine:

"Q-TIP: What are you doing in L.A.?

Mark RONSON: I'm going to do some recording with Lana Del Rey today and tomorrow. I found this cool old studio out here. 

Q-TIP: Are you producing? 

RONSON: I don't know. She has some songs and I said I had some demo ideas, and if they are any good, then maybe she'll like them and we'll go from there. "

---

On Instagram:

CFaz3M-UkAArcnS.jpg

---

Video from tour saying that the record will be released in September:

https://twitter.com/LanaDeIReyDaily/status/602515526649163776

---

Honeymoon lyrics found in tour merch:

http://www.nme.com/news/lana-del-rey/85451?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=lanadelrey

Does anyone know if she's done anymore interviews lately or if she's doing some soon? I feel like her giving little hints about the style and production of the album in interviews will be all we get 'until possibly spring next year.

I wonder if she's discarded the 'music to watch boys to' title ... I just can't see an orchestral grunge album fitting that description.

I wonder if she's discarded the 'music to watch boys to' title ... I just can't see an orchestral grunge album fitting that description.

i reaaaaally want her to keep that title but i doubt she will, but i would love a 50's inspired album name and album cover as well  :hooker:

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

Tbh it would be weird if we knew the album title 2 years before we got the actual album

Although Music to watch boys to is so flawless :creep:

She should record a song with the name and just upload it to her YT channel

Sneaky Lana :teehee:

Tbh it would be weird if we knew the album title 2 years before we got the actual album

Well it would be only one year since the album is tentatively set to release in late August 2015

Well it would be only one year since the album is tentatively set to release in late August 2015

Let's not kid ourselves. It's coming in January 2016 at the earliest.

I'm sort of hoping for The Endless Summer to be the title. Billie Holiday meets Jeff Buckley and produced by Mark Ronson with a couple of tracks by David Lynch. I would orgasm on the spot tbh

I'm really excited and I really want it to come out in August/September 2015. I'm kinda sad she won't tour Ultraviolence here though.

Broke With Expensive Taste

Artpop too lmao

Let's not kid ourselves. It's coming in January 2016 at the earliest.

I'm sort of hoping for The Endless Summer to be the title. Billie Holiday meets Jeff Buckley and produced by Mark Ronson with a couple of tracks by David Lynch. I would orgasm on the spot tbh

Oh my lord yes this this all of this

Endless Summer would be a perfect title actually!

'So I try to say goodbye my friend // I'd like to leave you with something warm // But never have I been a blue calm sea // I have always been a storm'

I hope she takes the time that she needs to develop a new sound and to write smart lyrics, to find the right people to collab and record with and I also hope that she knows the music industry well enough by now to figure out which effect her music is going to have on people.

I'm also not a huge fan of the idea that her new album is released right after or in the middle of a tour again. It just messes up everything and everybody is torn between the old and the new era.

As much as I strive for more Lana songs, it is more important to me that they are different, nicely-composed and well-produced.

In my opinion it is almost impossible to find new themes when you're still singing BTD & Paradise songs every night and also have to deal with the UV sound. Since she hasn't performed since October I'm pretty sure that she has enough time to find these new themes. However, it'd be nice if she sat down in the studio after she has experienced the Endless Summer Tour and listens to her new songs again. Maybe she'll also be able to add some influences to the album. 

Also the last album was released only 6 months ago, we shouldn't be so thirsty yes we should  :troll:

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx

i just hope the new album will be different, lyrically. i trust the music will be great as i love pretty much every song i've heard by lana, but i'm craving new subject matter! next fall sounds perfect but i'm kinda doubtful. an EP sometime before the new album would also be very welcome :excited: 

let me be who i'm meant to be

MUSIC TO WATCH BOYS TO PLEASE OMFGGGG, I NEED THAT TITLE PLS LANA

I like that title but I want her to change it