ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

About the repetitive choruses. I don't get the hate for it. I see some people who criticized Lana for repetitive choruses but praised 1989 and Carly's new album.

So I decided to listen to 1989 (couple weeks ago) worst decision OF MY LIFE. The first song alone "Welcome To New York" makes me want to pour acid in my throat. It's literally that line repeated OVER OVER OVER AGAIN.

I'm lost for words. That some (not specifically saying here) praised THIS GARBAGE and came for Lana "repetitive" lyrics.

Actually Welcome To NY was panned by critics  :eek:

8nl2OpX.png

Short review and description of the tracks for those who are not listening to the recordings

1. Honeymoon - 6/10
A beautiful introduction to the album, but it's just not up to par with the rest of the tracks. It drags on a bit, however from the bridge and beyond, the song truly shines.

2. Music To Watch Boys To - 10/10
One of the best instrumentals on the album. The verses are what make this song for me, I love the flute and the vocals.

3. Terrence Loves You - 9/10
Lyrically, this is one of my favorites. You can feel the emotion in Lana's voice when she sings "I lost myself, when I lost you". One of the only jazzy songs on the album. Again, the bridge is a highlight and I love the David Bowie reference.

4. God Knows I Tried - 9/10
The guitar is what immediately stands out to me on this track. Very Ultraviolence-esque. It almost feels a little blues-y to me as well. It's very dark and emotional. The verses comprise mostly of Lana's vocals and the guitar, while percussion is introduced in the chorus. It would be a 10/10 had it not been for the very repetitive lyrics. Lana's vocals in the bridge are beautiful as she hits some impressive high notes and repeatedly sings "let there be light, light up my life". I can definitely see the supposed gospel influence present in the bridge especially.

5. High By The Beach - 9/10
A little bit of a more lighthearted break from the very emotional previous 2 tracks. Also the introduction of the "muddy trap" element on this album. I love the instrumental and the explicit lyrics. I can't justify giving it a 10/10 because there are too many tracks on the album that overshadow it.

6. Freak - 10/10
Lana was spot on when she described this song as "very sexy". The instrumental and trap beats make me automatically want to grind my hips. The song completely changes direction in the bridge, which reminds me a lot of Shades of Cool, perhaps because of the predominant electric guitar. The song then returns to the dark and sexy trap beats and infectious chorus one last time to close out the song.

7. Art Deco - 10/10
Another pure trap influenced track. Definitely some Born To Die influence here as well, Lana even samples the breathy "why" from the beginning of the title track ("Why, who me?"). It's a slower, very laid back song.

8. Burnt Norton - 10/10
As good as it gets for an interlude. Lana's speaking voice is beautiful and the instrumental is haunting. It's very psychedelic and relaxing, and almost feels otherworldly.

9. Religion - 10/10
Another sexy song. The song begins very lowkey, with the guitar and Lana's vocals being the most predominant features. Then, the first chorus takes over and the dark and sexy percussion and trap beats make a return. The trap influence is definitely not as present as it was in the previous 3 tracks, but I feel like it's just the perfect amount. Another one of my favorites lyrically, with lines like "When I'm down on my knees, you're how I pray". One article suggested that the vocals on this track reminded the author of a siren (the mythical sea creature). I can definitely hear it, especially at the end of each chorus when Lana croons "I need your love, I need your love, I need your love".

10. Salvatore - 10/10
A career highlight. This song is gorgeous from start to finish, very elegant and some extremely impressive vocal work. I'm getting lowkey opera singer teas. It's very Italian inspired. My one and only gripe with this song is that the "soft ice cream" lyrics does not seem to fit in at first, but I've gotten used to it after a few listens. The bridge, which features beautifully high vocals accompanied by a simple piano melody which grows into the final chorus, is a top contender for my favorite moment in any song of Lana's discography.

11. The Blackest Day - 10/10
I was completely taken aback by this track on my first listen. By the title, I was expecting a depressing anthem very similar to Black Beauty. I was very surprised to hear the return of the trap beats in the chorus. It reminds me of the more rock influenced tracks on Ultraviolence. It is the longest track on the album, but it doesn't drag on at all. Also, it is again one of my favorites lyrically, especially in the chorus "Ever since my baby went away, it's been the blackest day".

12. 24 - 10/10
Immediately when I heard this, I thought of James Bond. Sultry, jazzy, slow and elegant. I can also hear a little bit of Spanish influence on the chorus. Love the lyrics, vocals, instrumental; all around beautiful track.

13. Swan Song - 8/10
After the standard set by track 9-12, this song falls a bit short. It's still very beautiful, but the lyrics feel a bit repetitive again. It's a very cinematic track, as Lana cries out "I will never sing again" over an orchestral instrumental.

14. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - 7/10
This is different than what I was expecting. The production seems to borrow elements from both Nina Simone's version as well as The Animals' version of the song. It is a very nice cover and Lana did a good job vocally, but compared to the rest of the album it is a little weak. I wish it was a little jazzier.

Overall, this is, in my opinion, Lana's best body of work. It's cohesive, yet all of the tracks are so different from one another. It's amazing to hear jazz, trap, rock, and orchestra work so well together. I was not being generous when I gave so many songs 10/10, it truly is a masterpiece.

My thoughts on the album. I'm extremely tired, so this is far from being well-written.

Honeymoon (2015) - Lana Del Rey

1. Honeymoon

Nothing new to us, but it remains a gorgeous, Lynchian ( :creep:), swirling, string-laden journey. The climax in the final minute remains one of Lana's best musical moments, particularly because of the incredible vocals she exhibits.

2. Music to Watch Boys To

What stands out immediately about this song is the incredible atmosphere and tropical soundscape. It's one of the best mood-oriented tracks from the album and Lana paints pictures beautifully with her lyrics. The bridge from "nothing gold can stay..." is a highlight.

3. Terrence Loves You

Perhaps the most jazz-influenced track from the album, this one features yet another gorgeous bridge. It's probably one of the most emotional tracks on the record and features some of Lana's best vocals. It may not have the greatest replay value, but it's an undeniably beautiful journey.

4. God Knows I Tried

This track immediately stood out to me due to its Bob Dylan or Joan Baez-esque feel and also because of its captivating lyrics. The self-reflection rather than rumination on a man is refreshing, and the high notes in the choruses and bridge are quite breathtaking. I think this section might be one of her best verses ever:

"Sometimes I wake up in the morning to red, blue and yellow lights

On Monday they destroyed me but by Friday I'm revived

Put on that Hotel California, wear my blinders in the rain

I've got nothing much to live for ever since I found my fame"

5. High by the Beach

The first song in a series of chillwave tracks, this one is weaker than the rest, but still contains a wonderful beach soundscape and refreshingly independent lyrics. I love the bridge - she's slaying the bridges this era - and the reference to Put Me in a Movie.

6. Freak

This instantly became one of my favorites from the album. It's incredibly sexy, hypnotic, and eerie all at once. The only thing that keeps this song from being perfect is the "stranger than a stranger" line, which feels incredibly juvenile and momentarily takes me out of the song. The bridge might be Lana's most stunning moment.

7. Art Deco

This song features a SZA-esque beat, a spell-binding atmosphere, and self-reflective lyrics about a woman who is seemingly beautiful, but shallow under the surface; much like Art Deco as an art. This is how the production of some of the weaker Born to Die songs should have sounded. The visuals for this track have a lot of potential if she chooses to create a video for it.

8. Burnt Norton (Interlude)

Not too much to say about this one apart from noting its wonderful production. Lana recites the poem beautifully, and it's a nice transition to the second half of the album. At this point, the album begins to slow down again.

9. Religion

This track features some of my favorite lyrics and Lana's best vocals. The soaring high notes in the chorus have the ability to make the listener feel as if they are flying into a new realm, perhaps dreaming of their own unrequited or fleeting love. I love the guitar and minimalistic trip hop beat.

10. Salvatore

Transporting the listener to an Italy-set crime drama from the 40s with its sound, this track is one of the very best at painting a portrait with its story-telling. "All of the lights in Miami begin to gleam." I love the reiteration of the soft ice cream imagery in the bridge where Lana fills in the blanks of the story.

11. The Blackest Day

Good Lord, what a journey this song is. I was immediately blown away by how powerful the culmination of its production, Lana's voice, and the lyrics are. It's the longest track on the album, but somehow feels like the shortest.

12. 24

24 is one of the most lyrically-aggressive tracks on the album and features production that grows with intensity as it progresses. It has a nostalgic atmosphere and concludes in a majestic fashion.

13. Swan Song

Featuring affecting, transfixing lyrics, Swan Song is a haunting portrayal of a fleeting relationship. It feels redundant saying the production is gorgeous since it has been so consistent throughout the album, but they really achieved something noteworthy with this track as well.

14. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

As a huge Nina Simone, this was one of my most anticipated tracks. It's a good conclusion to the album, but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed after how incredible the rest of the album was. The production could have been much more dynamic and I expected Lana to do a lot more with her vocals, which had shone throughout the rest of the album.

---

Prior to this listen, I heavily doubted Lana's ability to top the hypnotic, swaying desert rock of Ultraviolence, but she may have accomplished that with Honeymoon. The production is consistently perfect and Lana's vocals sound better than ever. I have read a few complaints about the lyrics, but the album is actually very strong in this department. There are a couple of odd lines, but I feel that the album succeeds immensely in its attempt at surreal, colorful imagery while simultaneously feeling introspective and contemplative. The album may not be a commercial success since it strays even further from commercial expectations, but Lana has somehow outdone herself yet again with this beautiful journey that is her Honeymoon.

FREAK AND ART DECO TUMBLR'S QUALITY

Freak

https://mega.nz/#!IIA31Z4Y!hbtcA77Q-4K787Gmy6CV65ondMtT7nOs5PGmtwnMqDc

Art Deco

https://mega.nz/#!FcBTRC7D!rEHDadRWjCGIImP89J9Hkxi8OLd0UOzeavomzOhBRFw

(copy-paste the links)

Thank you for doing this, the person on tumblr is probably asleep/probably wouldn't have responded anyways