HEARTCORE

Lana On "Big Eyes" and "Music to Watch Boys To" for the LA Times

Q&A Lana Del Rey talks about her Globe-nominated 'Big Eyes' title track

Lana Del Rey
Lana Del Rey says she's long been a fan of Tim Burton, who directed "Big Eyes." (Neil Krug / Interscope)
By LORRAINE ALI contact the reporter Entertainment Music Tim Burton Golden Globe Awards The Godfather (movie) Academy Awards American Beauty (movie)
Lana Del Rey likes noir tones, and working with Tim Burton on “Big Eyes” was a perfectly dark matc
'When writing music, my favorite place to travel is in my imagination,' says Globe nominee Lana Del Rey
Spooky midcentury paintings of big-eyed children and the equally twisted tale of the artist behind them are at the center of Tim Burton's new film, "Big Eyes." The true yet surreal story of painter Margaret Keane also resonates throughout the film's evocative title track by singer Lana Del Rey. The haunting song, "Big Eyes," now nominated for a Golden Globe, is a natural fit for Del Rey, a chart-topping pop artist who is often noted for her cinematic style. Case in point: Her last album, "Ultraviolence," is named after "A Clockwork Orange" reference and her contributions to other soundtracks, such as "Maleficent" and "The Great Gatsby," feel more like extensions of Del Rey's own work than side projects. The 29-year-old East Coast native (real name Elizabeth Woolridge Grant) spoke about working with Burton, her love of the surreal and what it's like to think in pictures.

In film as with your own records, your aesthetic is so beautifully melancholy. Is making music a sad endeavor for you?

[Laughs.] No, I really enjoy it. Making a record — it's where all the fun is. When I'm done, it's like, oh, God. I kind of go into mourning.

Wow. I would have never expected you to use the adjective "fun" when describing the process.

Sad is happy to me. I love it. When I write something bittersweet, I smile. That's why I like Tim Burton. His world has that kind of foundation too.

So you're a Burton fan?

I am a huge fan. I love "Edward Scissorhands." But it was Harvey Weinstein who wanted me to work on this. He asked six month ago if I would do a title track, then during editing he wanted one more song for the end. That ended up being "I Can Fly."

Your sound is so noirish and visual. Is the process similar when making your own music as opposed to a film track?

When writing music, my favorite place to travel is in my imagination, so having a movie like this makes it easy to go there. I can imagine another layer, what happened to Margaret [Keane, the artist played by Amy Adams], how excited she was in the beginning, how she thought she found a father for her daughter. And it turned out to be a nightmare. It's a great story to build a song around.

Right. A compelling film score should not just be echoing what you see in a film; it should, in fact, add another layer.

Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes' feels too paint-by-numbers
Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes' feels too paint-by-numbers
For me, the melody should also tells its own story. Whether it's minor or major, whether you choose to use a violin or a flute. In "The Godfather," so many of those little cues were just a horn or a violin. Think about the mood of the film … there was a reason why the music was so solitary.

Now your title track has a Globe nomination, competing with contemporaries like John Legend and Lorde.

I grew up watch the Oscars and Golden Globes, but I don't really remember the best song category having a lot of contemporary artists in it. But maybe it's just me because I'm more about scores.

What are some favorites?

Thomas Newman's score for "American Beauty." I remember the first time I saw the film, the score is the first thing you hear. I loved it. Or the cues that Nino Rota did for "The Godfather" or Giorgio Moroder for "Cat People." I loved writing for movies because I love anything that makes you dream. I still watch movies to dream.

Daniel Heath produced and co-wrote "Big Eyes" with you. He's been a longtime collaborator.

Yes! [Laughs.] Dan was my first boyfriend's best friend. Back then he was doing cues for reality television — the shows were terrible, but his work was beautiful. I said, "You've got to work with me on real records. The songwriting is simple: intro, verse one, a chorus, which repeats three times. The bridge is separate from everything else." That was all he needed to hear to start sending me amazing compositions. He did the title track for "Ultraviolence" for me. He adds a lot of cinema to my sound.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

She seems really confident and content in this interview. I'm picking up some very happy vibes which is lovely too. I'm also really excited we are getting "Music To watch Boys To" as a track at least. The concept of the track sounds very interesting too -"Definitely. I can see it and I can hear it. I'm working on a new record now, and I have this one song, "Music to Watch Boys To." The title lends itself to a visual of shadows of men passing by, this girl's eyes, her face. I can definitely see things."   :deadbanana:  :deadbanana:  :deadbanana:  :deadbanana: 

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

awwww she sounds so positive in this interview. she sounds happy, seems like we will definitely get the record as well. and maybe if shes this confident about it there will be more promos and videos  :flutter:

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

I don't love Music to Watch Boys To so much as a song title and I think it would make an awesome album title, but the way she talks about the concept excites me a whole lot. The way she describes the song, in a confident way, just makes me more anxious.

Definitely. I can see it and I can hear it. I'm working on a new record now, and I have this one song, "Music to Watch Boys To." The title lends itself to a visual of shadows of men passing by, this girl's eyes, her face. I can definitely see things.

I DONT think ya know how excited I am! Lol But yasss that title tho! And the fact that she's not forgetting about it. I mean with her there's no telling when it'll come out. But its exciting to hear news about it.

PLEASE LET IT BE FLORIDA KILOS STYLEgiphy.gif