TRENCH

Yung Lean

havent listened to anything after Warlord in '16 so i need to catch up with this moniker and his other ones

warlord is sick, but he's gotten so much better! you have a lot of catching up to do but it's worth it for sure.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

a whole ass documentary premiering in cinema, wow

3 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

i've wanted this for so long

was this announced beforehand? also yeah it is very emotional, like as emo as his quarantine live perfomance

I actually was hoping for more visuals this era, because remember when he posted on twitter like every song from the album with a short clip, but if we don't get any it's also fine, outta my head mv was amazing

2 hours ago, Boy From Town said:

a whole ass documentary premiering in cinema, wow

was this announced beforehand? also yeah it is very emotional, like as emo as his quarantine live perfomance

I actually was hoping for more visuals this era, because remember when he posted on twitter like every song from the album with a short clip, but if we don't get any it's also fine, outta my head mv was amazing

it was announced a while ago! but it kinda flew under the radar. it was supposed to be premiering at the Tribeca film festival earlier this year but for obvious rona-related reasons that didn't happen :( but now it's finally coming and im so fkn excited! omg his show at the back of the truck will always kill me :crai:

and same - outta my head was incredible, my agenda was sooooo fucking sick too! i sorta feel like there's gonna be a starz movie, kinda like he did with stranger. i'm 99% sure he filmed something for butterfly paralysed so hopefully we'll see that at least?? also a tour soon pls leandoer pls 

Wq9zHLl.jpg

5 hours ago, Boy From Town said:

Omg Poison Ivy aged so perfectly

Also film premiere tommorow. In Europe, Russia, Australia and NZ. https://inmyheadfilm.com/

Poison Ivy is wayyyyy up there w my fav Lean projects, its soooo underrated by fans!! It's perfect for this time of year. Listening to Trashy in the cold while ur half drunk >>>>

I rly hope there'll be a way to watch the film online - lockdown means its not premiering in cinemas over here :crai:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

my people :party:

did we like stardust ?? its prob my 2nd fav of his now, it feels like an accumulation of all his diverse influences. like the На заре sample in bliss or the burial tribute instrumental of lips.

༺♱༻

all-star, no face, ski mask, my agenda.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:38 PM, bambie said:

my people :party:

did we like stardust ?? its prob my 2nd fav of his now, it feels like an accumulation of all his diverse influences. like the На заре sample in bliss or the burial tribute instrumental of lips.

yes!! Lips is probs my fav on there. always so nice to have more yung lean fans on lanaboards :defeated:

no word of a lie when i saw that picture of lana and lean together semi-recently i literally had to take a few days break from the internet bc my heart physically could not take it :rip: i was so fkn shook. i honestly think they'd work so well together, i can imagine them on a Stargirl Interlude type song :defeated:

also cant wait to see him in November!! this'll be my 4th time :squidward: i saw a drain gang show earlier this year and if im being honest as much as i love those boys the crowd was fkn insufferable for the first time ever, so im hoping that atmosphere doesnt carry over to the lean show!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Decided to try his music again. Unknown Death was ok, some bad songs but I only listened to it out of curiosity and plus Friendzone produced the albums closer. Listening to Unknown Memory rn and its way better imo. Theres a progression of evolution here.

1 hour ago, Girl With No Face said:

Decided to try his music again. Unknown Death was ok, some bad songs but I only listened to it out of curiosity and plus Friendzone produced the albums closer. Listening to Unknown Memory rn and its way better imo. Theres a progression of evolution here.

yay love this! Unknown Death is def a bit of an outlier in his discography in terms of quality, it's definitely the most amateur of his full-length records (which i guess makes sense) and like you said, Unknown Memory is vastly superior. after UM there's Warlord which returns to the somewhat darker vibes of UD but with the upgraded production of UM, although some of the songs on there (especially the bonus tracks) do start to reach UD levels of messy obnoxiousness :omfg2: but if you liked Solarflare (the UD closer you mentioned) that might actually appeal to you (i love Solarflare btw, no shade intended!) - Hoover is darker than Solarflare but is an interesting take on the 'overcrowded but melodic' style of production, and God Only Knows takes on the same style of production but with a much more shameless balls-to-the-wall noisy sensibility.

if you liked Unknown Memory i'd recommend checking out Stranger, i've always felt like it's a more mature, slow-burn version of Unknown Memory! really unexpected from Lean at the time and surprisingly his lyricism really starts to shine here. or if you'd like to listen to something a little shorter, the Poison Ivy EP is absolutely amazing imo, so atmospheric and enticing - particularly the latter half of the tracklist!

(sorry if you've already listened to all this stuff before and i'm just being silly!)

Wq9zHLl.jpg

30 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

yay love this! Unknown Death is def a bit of an outlier in his discography in terms of quality, it's definitely the most amateur of his full-length records (which i guess makes sense) and like you said, Unknown Memory is vastly superior. after UM there's Warlord which returns to the somewhat darker vibes of UD but with the upgraded production of UM, although some of the songs on there (especially the bonus tracks) do start to reach UD levels of messy obnoxiousness :omfg2: but if you liked Solarflare (the UD closer you mentioned) that might actually appeal to you (i love Solarflare btw, no shade intended!) - Hoover is darker than Solarflare but is an interesting take on the 'overcrowded but melodic' style of production, and God Only Knows takes on the same style of production but with a much more shameless balls-to-the-wall noisy sensibility.

if you liked Unknown Memory i'd recommend checking out Stranger, i've always felt like it's a more mature, slow-burn version of Unknown Memory! really unexpected from Lean at the time and surprisingly his lyricism really starts to shine here. or if you'd like to listen to something a little shorter, the Poison Ivy EP is absolutely amazing imo, so atmospheric and enticing - particularly the latter half of the tracklist!

(sorry if you've already listened to all this stuff before and i'm just being silly!)

I already know of Hoover bc that was the first song I stumbled on by Lean haha. Need to listen tho. I've been listening to Frost God for the past hour and I love it tbh. But I'll take your recommendations! I'm still navigating his discog.

Also LOVE how Yung Lean and Ferg named a city after me 😍😍😍 (Crystal City is fire ngl)

Finished his discography. My top 3 faves are:

1. Unknown Memory 

2. Stranger 

3. Frost God

I also love Starz and Lavender EP. Warlord is also really good but a bit inconsistent so I might reorganise the tracklist. Stardust was cute but probably his least cohesive album overall. And then Unknown Death is my least fave but has a few songs I like.

On 12/15/2023 at 3:48 PM, daphnedinkley said:

if you liked Unknown Memory i'd recommend checking out Stranger, i've always felt like it's a more mature, slow-burn version of Unknown Memory! really unexpected from Lean at the time and surprisingly his lyricism really starts to shine here. 

Yellowman changed my fucking life I will never be the same again