evilentity

Wait for Life

Why you make me take that shit

To put on that evening show

i cant with this line  :toofunny:

i know what it means... but i keep thinking about something else

Lana complaining about her tour manager's advice to use the bathroom before going on stage? :teehee:

(Scatting)

(Scatting)

(Scatting)

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

It's more like she took a step back lol

I don't think that's too fair - more like a step sideways from BTD/P, which I don't consider backwards from UV. Lyrically, its a little worn down because we have the sugar-daddy theme but the chorus has at least improved from "I'm a sad girl"x6. I think the production and just atmosphere of the song is spot on though, it really gives me the same vibe I've been feeling for the new album, but she could still surprise us. Its definitely no Video Games, or any other single from BTD, as far a replay value, but I think its pretty nice and I like it better than BE and ICF.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

The choruses really make the song for me, to be honest. Lana has this pattern sometimes where, if the song as a whole isn't amazing, she could either make fantastic verses and poor choruses, or poor verses and great choruses. This is kind of the latter for me. I just can't get into the verses aside from the pre-chorus and the chorus itself, and the bridge is beautiful. I do love this song, though, there's just something to be adored.

I thought about this song today and came up with my interpretation.

I think this song describes Lana's relationship with things outside of herself which cause distress in her life (mainly the media/her record label) and lets us know how her experiences make her feel.

Why you make me work so hard

Here Lana talks about the problems she faces in her career as a musician. She loves to make music and she does tours, but promoting the songs is a drag for her, she is shy and a private person, doesn't really like to be the center of cynical, hurtful attention. She perceives many people to be this way. She does not enjoy some aspects of her career, yet she still has to do it.

When you know that all I want

Is to make your money grow?

She is addressing her "money hungry" label who always want to change her and push her to be more commercial, they are dissatisfied with her product. The label benefits from having her and she would be willing to work with them if only she was supported in what she wants to do.

You're like a baby who don't got nowhere to go

I feel you eyeing me, you keep it on the low

(on the low, on the low)

They act childish towards her - she has a contract, they don't let her go, but they don't want her in the way that she is available to them. They want to change her constantly.

But I can't let you in

And I can't keep you out

I wait for life to mend

But it never comes around

And I can't hear you call

And I can't hear me [shout?]

I wait for it to break

The chorus addresses the media scrutinizing her and exposing too much about her life, her past, her family. She doesn't want people to dig around in her past yet she is helpless against them, she can't stop people from doing it. She waits for life to mend, to get better, for better things to come but they never seem to arrive. She wants to have a break where she can be more at peace but she only yearns for peace, it is not her actual experience.

And I'm lonely

I'm lonely

I'm lonely

These events make her feel lonely, being watched by the eye of so many people who misunderstand or judge her. Sometimes you feel the most alone in a crowd. That is how she is. She doesn't find someone who she can trust or someone who relates to her, even though it is imporant her to have a person who she can hold on to.

Why you make me take that shit

When you know I don't need it

Better than your booze and blow?

Again she laments that with her profession as a musician she has to do many things that she doesn't enjoy. Making music is her favorite part but there is a lot more to it than that.

In the two final lines, she says she doesn't need all the mainstream success that some would like her to have, it is not a priority for her. She likens those achievements to booze and blow, they put you high but they are also hurtful, they bring even more attention to you and she already had enough of that. She is worried that more attention would cause more problems.

- -

(Scatting)

Feel like I'm falling apart

(Scatting)

(Scatting)

Because of the bad experiences, her stability is broken, she is falling apart, she doesn't know how to react what to say, and often gets into uncomfortable situations which give her even more bad reputation. (like the I want to die story) She feels destroyed but she is helpless and can't do much against it.

Would you tell me?

Would you tell me?

Would you tell me?

But I can't let you in

And I can't keep you out

I wait for life to [win/mend/end?]

And I can't hear you call

And I can't hear me [shout?]

I wait for it to break

And I'm lonely

I'm lonely

I'm lonely

She is alone - misunderstood, and helpless. Truly a sad song describing the abandonmnet she feels in her position from which she can't really escape.

....well its produced by emile haynie so what did you expect tho? it sounds similarish to all the songs emile helped produce except with more of a low-key jazz feel to it

Did you really just reply to a comment from January? I ain't thinking about this song anymore. I still stand on my ground though.

EotAQlJ.jpg

Underrated Gem

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif