naachoboy

Kali Uchis

Por Vida was great from start to finish, for me.
Isolation was a very solid album with great production and very cool tracks. 
I enjoyed her little EP with "I want war but I need peace".
This resonates a bit less with me but I'm rooting for her. 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

Decided I should come back and give my thoughts & track ranking!

The album is absolutely incredible. This is the best vocal performance she's delivered thus far. I don't understand a word of Spanish, but that doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the album. As a writer lyrics are always important to me, so I've looked at English translations for all of the songs so I'm aware of their meaning, but just as important are the melodies. Her melodies here are gorgeous and perfect for her vocals. The production is also great and so complimentary, it's sort of a fusion of the styles from all of her other projects. She just keeps evolving and getting better and better. The only real complaint I have is that I wish some of the songs were longer, because I just didn't want them to end! Also, some of the songs would've been much better without their features, but I know Kali loves collaborating with her friends.

Below is my track ranking with #1 being my favourite. Vaya con Dios is a career highlight, one of the best songs she's ever released. Truly after the top 5, it was so incredibly difficult to rank the rest because there wasn't a song I disliked. Those at the bottom of my list are still songs I enjoy and will continue to listen to. That's always the test of a great album, when it becomes hard to decide what you must put at the bottom of your rank x

1     vaya con dios

2.    telepatía

3.    ¡aquí yo mando!

4.    no eres tu (soy yo)

5.    la luna enamorada

6.    la luz (Fín)

7.    de nadie

8.    ángel sin cielo

9.    fue mejor

10.  que te pedí

11.  te pongo mal (prendelo)

12.  quiero sentirme bien  

13.  aguardiente y limón

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I listened to the album when it first came out, but only like twice. Let me just say the last few days I've been obsessed and it has been on repeat. It's so moody and I love ittt. I also love that it's in Spanish because I can actually understand some of it from taking years of Spanish classes. My only complaints are that I could do without some of the features and I wish some of the songs were longer. I still love every track and have no skips. This is my current ranking:

1. aguardiente y limón

2. fue mejor

3. telepatía

4. te pongo mal

5. aquí yo mando

6. la luz

7. no eres tu (soy yo)

8. quiero sentirme bien

9. vaya con dios

10. de nadie

11. ángel sin cielo

12. la luna enamorada

13. que te pide

On 2/1/2020 at 4:47 AM, Say Yes to Heaven said:

Kali has announced she will be releasing finalized Por Vida outtakes in the coming month. As an anniversary present for the album which came out Feb 4th, 2014. The songs featured will be:

1. Honey Baby 
2. Pablo Escobar
3. Rich

4. Lonely Boy
5. Give Me All Your Connects
6. Cocaina
7. Don't Make Me
8. Fireflies

Possibly:
9. Killer (Por Vida Demo)
10. Baby It's Fine
11. Lean

still waiting for this :defeated:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, kaliuchissimp said:

wasn’t to feel alive ep the por vida anniversary gift? 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

1 hour ago, kaliuchissimp said:

Just now, Nightmare said:

Speaking of waiting for things, I'm still waiting for her to add the To Feel Alive EP vinyl to her store like she said she would after the RSD copies sold out :crossed:

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

On 12/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, Nightmare said:

this is what I thought too. Interscope probably said NO and so the EP was a compromise I assume, meanwhile she was deleting the tweets mentioning the whole demo dump idea.

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, kaliuchissimp said:

KALI IS IN THE STUDIO WITH SZAAAAAA

Yessss hopefully whatever they make will come out this time. They did music together in 2017 for Isolation but it never made the final cut, I hope we get to hear it someday!

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif