naachoboy

Kali Uchis

1 hour ago, Trash Magic said:

May not be politically correct but idgaf it's one of the things I like so much about Lana / Weyes Blood etc... I do think there is something to be said for artistry and the way artists present themselves/what they want people to notice especially in their presence online but I won't get into it :flop:  I just happen to have a strong aversion to the entire makeup / YouTuber / influencer sphere and the culture around it I know people won't agree with me :barrie:

nothing to do with anything else you've said but hasn't kali always worn heavy makeup, even when you were a fan :slayty:

just realised it's the 6 year anniversary of the classic that is por vida:party: 

unrelated but i hate how dull kali has been in interviews recently, no offence. when i look at this interview she was so charismatic and now i feel like she doesn't even want to talk? idk if it depends on the interviewer or her but... rip por vida 

18 minutes ago, partymonster said:

just realised it's the 6 year anniversary of the classic that is por vida:party: 

unrelated but i hate how dull kali has been in interviews recently, no offence. when i look at this interview she was so charismatic and now i feel like she doesn't even want to talk? idk if it depends on the interviewer or her but... rip por vida 

Por Vida seems like forever ago I remember I was super interested in her that summer and so mad I missed a show she had done in my city simply cause I didn't hear about it until the next day. It's so weird how the album artwork on Spotify at least has changed a few times. I don't recall any other semi big artists doing that. Did she just not like it? :toofunny: It was the tracklist image for ages and I just saw it's that LQ upside down screencap now.. Weird!

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

32 minutes ago, Trash Magic said:

Por Vida seems like forever ago I remember I was super interested in her that summer and so mad I missed a show she had done in my city simply cause I didn't hear about it until the next day. It's so weird how the album artwork on Spotify at least has changed a few times. I don't recall any other semi big artists doing that. Did she just not like it? :toofunny: It was the tracklist image for ages and I just saw it's that LQ upside down screencap now.. Weird!

apparently something went on between her and the artist so she had to change the original cover but i'm not sure why she can't just use a normal picture from the por vida photoshoot:flop: i don't think she likes any of her work pre-isolation that much 

56 minutes ago, partymonster said:

her personality has changed so so so much from the time i first became a fan to now. it makes me sad honestly because i feel like she fed too much into her fame and now she feels... untouchable. Which is good I guess but I used to love how Kali felt so relatable especially as a hispanic listener. Now when I watch her interviewers she has the same act she always does nowadays. Quiet talking, trying to be sexy, etc. (I mean she IS super sexy but you can tell when she dramatizes it during appearances)

Don't even get me started on the like... influencer-esque personality she's taken on. Which I can see @Trash Magic point in (though obviously I do not agree with the excessive makeup bit, since makeup is an art in itself) 

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

9 minutes ago, partymonster said:

apparently something went on between her and the artist so she had to change the original cover but i'm not sure why she can't just use a normal picture from the por vida photoshoot:flop: i don't think she likes any of her work pre-isolation that much 

yes this, I've also noticed she lies like a lot :crai:

She originally said Por Vida artwork was her own painting. And then it came out the artist didn't want her using it for the cover?????? Also it's always looked like the cover was just taken into photoshop and like smudged/liquified to look like a painting. 

4 minutes ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

yes this, I've also noticed she lies like a lot :crai:

She originally said Por Vida artwork was her own painting. And then it came out the artist didn't want her using it for the cover?????? Also it's always looked like the cover was just taken into photoshop and like smudged/liquified to look like a painting. 

oh... then i get why the artist must've been mad. i just wish she wasn't so insecure about por vida so she could maybe make a completely new cover and sell physical copies 

can she update the cover art to a screenshot of the scrapped Lottery video that leaked a few months ago (same video where that picture of her lying in that field is from).

It would be way better than a random "Only Girl" picture turned upside down :rip: 

also where are the sin miedo vinyl [2]

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, sweetener said:

can she update the cover art to a screenshot of the scrapped Lottery video that leaked a few months ago (same video where that picture of her lying in that field is from).

It would be way better than a random "Only Girl" picture turned upside down :rip: 

also where are the sin miedo vinyl [2]

i didnt see that screenshot?

39 minutes ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

i didnt see that screenshot?

i think it might be from this video 

𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖎'𝖉 𝖇𝖊 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖜𝖆𝖞

10 hours ago, Trash Magic said:

May not be politically correct but idgaf it's one of the things I like so much about Lana / Weyes Blood etc... I do think there is something to be said for artistry and the way artists present themselves/what they want people to notice especially in their presence online but I won't get into it :flop:  I just happen to have a strong aversion to the entire makeup / YouTuber / influencer sphere and the culture around it I know people won't agree with me :barrie:

Idk it always rubs me the wrong way when non-makeup-wearers, especially men, try to judge women/makeup-wearers based on the sole fact that they wear makeup, and say stuff like "I prefer natural women."  & I should note, in the example you gave of Lana, she's always had a signature makeup style but on the days she goes makeup-free, which has been pretty often for the past 3 years, I'll see tons of disgusting comments noting how "busted" she looks just because she didn't feel like glamming up. Nearly every woman wears makeup in some form, and a lot of the time, it's more makeup than you think, even for "natural" looking makeup looks.

I can even sort of understand your take on not being interested in an artist if they were previously an influencer with the question of authenticity in mind, such as someone like Madison Beer (who by the way I caught her live set at a music festival in 2019 while on barricade waiting for Kali, and although her style of music isn't my cup of tea, she seemed like she was really enjoying herself onstage) but to discount an artist just because she wears makeup..?? It seems hilariously absurd to me, I'm sorry. The amount of makeup an artist, or any person for that matter, chooses to wear shouldn't be a factor to deter yourself from even giving them a chance, and it seems you're quite proud of this mindset. Wearing makeup doesn't make an artist or a person any less authentic, and people can choose to wear makeup for any sort of reason. For some it's for insecurities, for some it's a form of artistic expression, and for some it's just a fun activity they enjoy doing. I personally start nearly every day by dedicating two hours to do my makeup & hair for no other reason than because it's something I enjoy doing. It's an art form for me, and my favourite way to have a little "me" time before facing the day. I don't care if I'm just going to the grocery store, I'll wear a full face and be happy that I did. To each their own I guess, but I still think that to discount an artist and their art completely just because of the way they wear their makeup while praising other artists who go for a more "natural" look, has a tiny bit of misogyny buried in it that just doesn't sit well for me.

I don't mean to come in here to the Kali Uchis thread all hot with my feminist tirade, but as a woman who is a licensed makeup artist & wears a full face of makeup on the daily because it's something that I enjoy, I'm a wee bit pressed about your take on a personal level :whatever2:

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

14 minutes ago, Elle said:

Wearing makeup doesn't make an artist or a person any less authentic, and people can choose to wear makeup for any sort of reason. For some it's for insecurities, for some it's a form of artistic expression, and for some it's just a fun activity they enjoy doing.

I agree. I always grimace when I see people say “men shouldn’t wear makeup” or “I don’t take makeup for men seriously” bc I have a condition that left the skin around my eye very thin and permanently bruised. I’ve been covering it up since I was 16 with a bit of concealer and (as far as I know) no one can even tell...You don’t know why someone is/isn’t wearing something—and personally I believe makeup is artistry but also can serve as a social crutch, and for that reason it shouldn’t be passed judgement on. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

13 minutes ago, Elle said:

Idk it always rubs me the wrong way when non-makeup-wearers, especially men, try to judge women/makeup-wearers based on the sole fact that they wear makeup, and say stuff like "I prefer natural women."  & I should note, in the example you gave of Lana, she's always had a signature makeup style but on the days she goes makeup-free, which has been pretty often for the past 3 years, I'll see tons of disgusting comments noting how "busted" she looks just because she didn't feel like glamming up. Nearly every woman wears makeup in some form, and a lot of the time, it's more makeup than you think, even for "natural" looking makeup looks.

I can even sort of understand your take on not being interested in an artist if they were previously an influencer with the question of authenticity in mind, such as someone like Madison Beer (who by the way I caught her live set at a music festival in 2019 while on barricade waiting for Kali, and although her style of music isn't my cup of tea, she seemed like she was really enjoying herself onstage) but to discount an artist just because she wears makeup..?? It seems hilariously absurd to me, I'm sorry. The amount of makeup an artist, or any person for that matter, chooses to wear shouldn't be a factor to deter yourself from even giving them a chance, and it seems you're quite proud of this mindset. Wearing makeup doesn't make an artist or a person any less authentic, and people can choose to wear makeup for any sort of reason. For some it's for insecurities, for some it's a form of artistic expression, and for some it's just a fun activity they enjoy doing. I personally start nearly every day by dedicating two hours to do my makeup & hair for no other reason than because it's something I enjoy doing. It's an art form for me, and my favourite way to have a little "me" time before facing the day. I don't care if I'm just going to the grocery store, I'll wear a full face and be happy that I did. To each their own I guess, but I still think that to discount an artist and their art completely just because of the way they wear their makeup while praising other artists who go for a more "natural" look, has a tiny bit of misogyny buried in it that just doesn't sit well for me.

I don't mean to come in here to the Kali Uchis thread all hot with my feminist tirade, but as a woman who is a licensed makeup artist & wears a full face of makeup on the daily because it's something that I enjoy, I'm a wee bit pressed about your take on a personal level :whatever2:

Yes! Madison is definitely someone people take way less seriously just because she wears makeup and is pretty. She writes all of her music and it's all amazing (you guys should check it out!!! her debut is coming Feb 26) and i dont look at her any less of an artist because of what she chooses to wear on her body. My issue with Kali is more her personality, I think she's gorgeous and one of the prettiest singers today, but her personality has gotten progressively.... mundane. 

2 minutes ago, Mer said:

I agree. I always grimace when I see people say “men shouldn’t wear makeup” or “I don’t take makeup for men seriously” bc I have a condition that left the skin around my eye very thin and permanently bruised. I’ve been covering it up since I was 16 with a bit of concealer and (as far as I know) know one can even tell...You don’t know why someone is/isn’t wearing something—and personally I believe makeup is artistry but also can serve as a social crutch, and for that reason it shouldn’t be passed judgement on. 

Exactly, I'm also glad you brought up the fact of men who wear makeup too. I tried to include that in my original post by keeping it general with "makeup-wearers" but being accepting of men wearing makeup is something that isn't talked about enough. Two of my closest guy friends wear makeup - one because he's very much into makeup artistry, and he just applied to beauty school to become a professional makeup artist. For him, he loves the art and the activity. Another because, similar to your story, he has deep acne scars from having acne in his teenage years, and wears foundation, concealer, and colour corrector on the daily to help him feel more comfortable in his skin.

Again, no matter an artist or an everyday person, a man or a woman (or any gender), and for whatever reason they choose to wear makeup - it shouldn't be the sole reason someone is shut off from having an interest in a person, especially their art x

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

10 hours ago, Trash Magic said:

If what you're referring to is the way artists nowadays try to simultaneously be instagram influencers, then i get where you're coming from.

But that has pretty much nothing to do with the makeup itself and everything to do with what they value and what they're marketing 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

Kali's announced that she will be returning to the sound of 'Por Vida' for her next album: