Sign in to follow this  
smoledman

Lana's staying power

Everyone(the hipster music press) thought back around spring 2012 that she's a "flash in the pan" and will be irrelevant by 2013. Now she's bigger than ever.

From "Video Games" to "Big Eyes", Lana has never put out a song that I thought cringe-worthy or bad in any way. I know she is not the sole songwriter for many of her songs, but that doesn't change the fact that she knows how to partner up with quality songwriters too. That's a skill in itself. She has a tremendous visual arts flair that IMHO is indelible. From the videos of "Video Games", "Blue Jeans", "Summertime Sadness" with their super-8 type quality to the epic "Ride" to "Tropico" I think she's a female David Lynch.

On top of all that, a new album coming at the end of the year. She's literally the only woman in the pop industry(other than Sia) that I can celebrate.

There is a way she invokes nostalgia and sadness that is indelible. Some people have a problem with that, but someone has to carry that torch. She is fucking crazy, but she is free.

Keep on sad-corin' Lana.

Well said. I also think the co-writer thing is talked up a bit too much. Everyone who has worked with her has said that she has full artistic control and knows exactly she wants. They just supply the instrumental notes to the lyrics, soundscape ideas, and melodies that she provides.

To put my predictive powers in context, I thought that Britney Spears would be a one hit wonder, & that Madonna wouldn't outlast the eighties.

Having said that, there is something very special about Lana, and I feel that the fact she weathered the storm in early 2012, and now seems happy with making her own art, means that she will be creating for a long time, but also that her records will keep on being discovered.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Lana has a huge fanbase and she's really successful and I think that will last forever. She's EXTREMELY famous on the Internet and she's becoming more and more popular ~in the real world. I personally think she is an icon and her impact in pop culture is undeniable.

I don't feel smug against the 'bandwagon' or newer fans (I love new fans tbh), just genuinely lucky to have discovered Lana back in late 2011 where I could follow her career from the build-up to BTD and watch her blossom from then on. I didn't like her music at first, but there was something striking about that woman, I thought her live vocals were terrible and shaky but her submissive behavior was what grabbed my attention. As a 13 year old, at the time, she's the first celebrity who I really took an interest in (forgetting about the jonas brothers).

Back then, I didn't know one person who liked her - people hated her and they seriously hated me for liking her and sure, she still has a LOT of hate but that's part of the package and I can name many people who may have detested her in 2012 but now have a good bit of Lana on their iPod. 

What some people don't understand is, a musician doesn't have to be a perfect role model. She always gets picked up for having 'surgery' and being 'anti-feminist' etc. but so what? Everyone has controversial opinions and she doesn't have them to preach to all her fans, she has them because she's human, an independent, strong-minded woman who hasn't let herself fall victim to the music industry - this is also present in her music and although I prefer BTD to UV, I was really proud that she made an album which was so her and so NOT just what the pop industry wanted from her.

Another thing some people don't understand is, she's not a typical pop entertainer. I don't get involved in stan wars because people always insist on bringing out the 'how many awards does your fave have' and 'my fave sold this many copies in 2014' because Lana honestly doesn't give a fuck... And she's still made herself an icon (which she has undeniably always dreamed of). Jesus, I don't even know how she does it.

(btw, i really love this thread - i think it's great to have a thread where we can just celebrate and rant about our appreciation for our Lana)

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

To put my predictive powers in context, I thought that Britney Spears would be a one hit wonder, & that Madonna wouldn't outlast the eighties.

Having said that, there is something very special about Lana, and I feel that the fact she weathered the storm in early 2012, and now seems happy with making her own art, means that she will be creating for a long time, but also that her records will keep on being discovered.

Her comments in mid 2012 about retiring soon I think were an attempt to de-stress the whole situation. Now that she's done Ultraviolence, Tropico and soundtracks she's in the free and clear. If I had to pick a deity for her, it'd be Mnemosyne.

I don't feel smug against the 'bandwagon' or newer fans (I love new fans tbh), just genuinely lucky to have discovered Lana back in late 2011 where I could follow her career from the build-up to BTD and watch her blossom from then on. I didn't like her music at first, but there was something striking about that woman, I thought her live vocals were terrible and shaky but her submissive behavior was what grabbed my attention. As a 13 year old, at the time, she's the first celebrity who I really took an interest in (forgetting about the jonas brothers).

Back then, I didn't know one person who liked her - people hated her and they seriously hated me for liking her and sure, she still has a LOT of hate but that's part of the package and I can name many people who may have detested her in 2012 but now have a good bit of Lana on their iPod. 

What some people don't understand is, a musician doesn't have to be a perfect role model. She always gets picked up for having 'surgery' and being 'anti-feminist' etc. but so what? Everyone has controversial opinions and she doesn't have them to preach to all her fans, she has them because she's human, an independent, strong-minded woman who hasn't let herself fall victim to the music industry - this is also present in her music and although I prefer BTD to UV, I was really proud that she made an album which was so her and so NOT just what the pop industry wanted from her.

Another thing some people don't understand is, she's not a typical pop entertainer. I don't get involved in stan wars because people always insist on bringing out the 'how many awards does your fave have' and 'my fave sold this many copies in 2014' because Lana honestly doesn't give a fuck... And she's still made herself an icon (which she has undeniably always dreamed of). Jesus, I don't even know how she does it.

(btw, i really love this thread - i think it's great to have a thread where we can just celebrate and rant about our appreciation for our Lana)

l8s3PPG.gif

Bm2AvMo.gif

i think lana will be looked back upon as an icon/innovator/part of the 2010s zeitgeist. going forward, i think she will be around as long as she wants to be. we know how prolific lana can be & how a part of her music-making is. i think we have a lot of albums to look forward to.

let me be who i'm meant to be

Historically, the media mistreats and misrepresents alternative female artists. It's hard to say how much she'll put up with.

She's had successful reinventions (in my opinion, perhaps not mainstream media) and is far less basic and uninspired than some other contemporary female artists.

Historically, the media mistreats and misrepresents alternative female artists. It's hard to say how much she'll put up with.

She's had successful reinventions (in my opinion, perhaps not mainstream media) and is far less basic and uninspired than some other contemporary female artists.

I think the fact she snags snazzy endorsements like H&M makes up for whatever media attacks she gets.

I'm not a fortune teller, I can't predict if people will remember her, I don't know if the internet will praise her in the future but what is way more important to me is that I'm definitely going to listen to her stunningly beautiful music until the day I die. That's probably the only thing that connects everybody on this site and at the end of the day it's that one thing that matters.

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx

I agree that Lana will be remembered as a great force in the 2010s, but will still be around for many years to come. I myself tend to lose interest in artist after maybe a year or two (used to be a huge monster now I cant stand gags), but Lanas stuck with me no matter what, probably because of her large collections of music.

smile.gif

I definitely think Lana is the type of artist who people will talk about years from now. People talk about her even when she's not releasing music. She still appears in magazines and is still discussed by people just because she is that unique and polarizing. I feel like people know her impact in the music industry, and even if they don't personally like her, they know about her. She is somebody who sticks around and is not forgotten easily because of the caliber of her art.

I feel like people would be more into her if they heard her unreleased stuff. That was what took me from "oh she's nice" to "yaaaaaas" level. She's more versatile than BTD, P, and UV show, but most people will never see that. Their loss.