Sign in to follow this  
timinmass101

From Ghostface to Lana Del Rey to Heartbreak: Super-Producer Emile Haynie Goes Solo

Emile Haynie says a lot of nice things about our girl.

From Grantland - February 24, 2015

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/from-ghostface-to-lana-del-rey-to-heartbreak-super-producer-emile-haynie-goes-solo/

When you started working with Lana Del Rey, were you looking for a change away from hip-hop? Or did that just kind of happen?

I had been tinkering around a little. There was a few singers I had worked with here and there, but nothing that was really connecting. Lana, that first time we ever worked together, we made the song “Blue Jeans.”

There was so much debate around her when she first came out — a lot of arguments about her authenticity and all that. It hasn’t affected her in the long run: She’s extremely popular these days. But did you pay attention to that stuff back then? Did it bother you?

I paid attention, and I shouldn’t have, because it pissed me off. She would get accused of not writing her own songs and I’m like, “I’m in the studio with her!” Then there’s the funny one where it’s like, “Her dad financed her whole career.” That came out before she had a record deal. I’m like, “Wait, I’m producing her album, we’re in my studio, and there ain’t no budget, so what is this imaginary funding from her quote-unquote rich dad?” I also know plenty of artists with rich dads who try to buy their kid a record deal. It ain’t happenin’.

Now that’s all kind of gone away. It was weird, though. It was this weird sexist energy of, like, “How could this pretty woman possibly write all her own songs, style herself, direct her own videos?” People wouldn’t believe it.

I’ve seen it all in the studio. I’ve seen the very indie “Sit in a corner and write everything,” and I’ve seen, unfortunately, the more manufactured pop shit. She’s not that. I’ve witnessed her voice, I’ve witnessed her writing, I’ve witnessed her creating this stuff. So I was like, if it becomes successful, it’s a matter of time before people get over the conspiracy theories and just kind of decide whether they like her. I always said give it some time and the truth will come out. She’s pretty badass.

Some people seemed to take umbrage with her stage persona, which was surprising.

I mean, what’s Bob Dylan’s real name? I don’t think Master P was born Master P. I’m pretty sure! It’s insane. It’s completely insane.

From Complex - February 23, 2015

http://www.complex.com/music/2015/02/emile-haynie-profile-we-fall

When did you decide to leave NYC and go to L.A.?

I was in the middle of starting Lana’s second album and I introduced her to Dan Auerbach [of The Black Keys], who ended up producing it. All of us were supposed go to Nashville to work together and I couldn’t do it. I was miserable at the time. I was like, “I need to go to L.A. I want to stay with my family. I’m writing songs, and it’s insane because she’s my favorite artist, but I’m just going to go to L.A.”

Did you turn down a lot of projects?

Yeah, everything.

Really? Any big ones?

I don’t wanna diss anyone. Not working on Lana’s second album, that’s like my sister, and we love each other. That was a massive move. I felt terrible. Before she got with Dan and it worked itself out, there were some tense moments. She got quite upset sometimes. It was painful for me to feel like I might be leaving her hanging. The beauty of the relationship that we have is she understood, and she knew what I was dealing with, she knew I had to do what I had to do, and she was so supportive the entire time.

We met years ago just to make tunes, and now it’s become so much more than that. This is her album, this is her baby. She just knew on a friendship level what I was doing and she didn’t get bummed. She sang a song on my album. She would come in and listen to my album and give me all this great advice.

Thank God for her. That was trying. It was right at the beginning, I didn’t know what I was doing at that point. She had her songs written. She wrote her entire album. It was a production. That’s Lana, she does that. Lana doesn’t do the generic co-write thing, Lana sat and wrote her songs. I just knew I had to write, and it wasn’t a writing gig with her—it would be a producing gig. I had to write, I had to write. It didn’t matter if the songs got produced and never came back, I had to write. I would’ve went crazy if I didn’t.

Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talkin' to.

I always felt bad for Emile, I was under the impression that Lana ditched their sessions together to work with Dan. I never thought about it being the other way around.

Anyway, this was nice to read, finally some nice publicity among the recent mess.

God Bless Emile.He seems like an overall nice dude. Glad he defended Lana too...

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371