Fluorine

Charli XCX

5 minutes ago, bored said:

I think judging by Charli's insta post the other day, its safe to assume that was the album cover, now we know it was called XCX, its the only image from the shoot we have with the album title on it...

just her "I knew this would be good for something" comment made me think she's trolling and it was definitely the album cover?

just remember that charli doesn't have her own files . she literally posted a pop2 pic on instagram which dima shared

Honestly though Charli's career timeline has always fascinated me so much, especially 2015-2017...

Summer 2015 was a real turning point in her career, I remember her performing Mow That Lawn live for the first time that summer at a festival and she introduced as her brand new song and there was a lot of speculation that she was planning to drop a full punk project that year. But we also know it was mid-late 2015 when she first started working with SOPHIE and Girls Night Out was written that year and that would've been the beginning of super pop / PC Charli... Then we got the Vroom Vroom era which was kinda crazy as the follow up project to Sucker?! 

Then we had the stop start 2016 / 2017 album campaign which caused her to rebel and give us Number 1 Angel, which again was different for her. And then to end the year with Pop 2! Like damn, I think since Pop 2 she's kinda stayed in one place in terms of her sound... But those few years were really a rollercoaster ride.

24 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

The album was officially called "XCX" in 2016. She had a huge rollout planned for it with an entire XCX universe and a brand. It was some hyperreal Paris Hilton type of shit. It was supposed to be out May 2017. Atlantic had huge promo slots and online campaigns made. "After parties" with fans. She had some ARTPOP app type of tech ideas. XCX calculators, Pet Boyfriend app that was like Tamagotchi.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more stuff. It was a very ambitious and huge project that was unfortunately scrapped.

well now i'm kinda glad it was scrapped, considering all of the things she had planned, there's no way it wouldn't flop, especially after ATAP charting so low and bounce kinda underperforming at kinnel :toofunny: i mean if she had released it, that really would have been her artpop moment (a mess), also, most likely, we wouldn't get n1a, pop 2 etc.

i wish i was wrong tho 

25 minutes ago, bored said:

I think it was cos After The Afterparty kinda bombed? Sucker was her biggest era commercially (and still is) but in the UK, which I imagine at that time was her main market, After The Afterparty just didn't do too well on charts and radio, I think it peaked in the 30s... And considering Boom Clap and Doing It had both been top 10 singles, they probably went back to the drawing board to try and push another single?

I could see Charli wanting Bounce to be the second single, she'd just dropped Vroom Vroom that year and was clearly experimenting more in the studio. Then we got the infamous Bounce performance on Jimmy Kimmel, which kinda killed the project overseas...

I imagine this was when the project and campaign kinda stalled and she was like publicly at war with her label and began with the mixtape ideas and wanting to drop some free music for fans.

And then we know the label started shopping for songs, Boys, Rare, Issues and many many more that Charli didn't even write... And considering she's a songwriter I imagine that's when the relationship with her label started to deteriorate. Maybe she was hurt or insulted that they didn't trust her songs? I'm just speculating?

Anyways, then we got Boys, yeah the video went viral but like charts wise it didn't live up to the highs of Sucker, and I think they were still gonna drop the album in September 2017? At least that's what Charli began saying in interviews when promoting Boys. But the whole thing leaked in August...

this should be taught in history classes around the world

2 minutes ago, Voignamir said:

well now i'm kinda glad it was scrapped

Honestly this is how I feel, I genuinely believe she would've been dropped by the label or kept in some sort of label purgatory as a songwriter if XCX had of been put out officially. Clearly, people didn't want that from her and I'm glad we have it (via leaks) but if it weren't for the drama that album caused behind the scenes we would never have gotten the mixtapes and I don't think she would've been given the opportunity by the label to rebrand herself as the alternative / PC pop artist she is today?

Plus if that XCX campaign was really that ambitious, its without a doubt that the label would've been at a loss financially if they'd pushed ahead with the campaign and album, especially after the performance of the first 2 singles...

2 minutes ago, Voignamir said:

well now i'm kinda glad it was scrapped, considering all of the things she had planned, there's no way it wouldn't flop, especially after ATAP charting so low and bounce kinda underperforming at kinnel :toofunny: i mean if she had released it, that really would have been her artpop moment (a mess), also, most likely, we wouldn't get n1a, pop 2 etc.

i wish i was wrong tho 

but why wouldn't you want to witness her most ambitious release with some of her best material ever?

This entire concept and direction that she had planned out... I think this could've been an ICONIC staple album era if Atlantic fully believed in her and the material and let her do her thing instead of continuously sidetracking and delaying it which obviously was for the worst in the end. It's a real shame because we're probably NEVER going to get something like that from her again. 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, sweetener said:

but why wouldn't you want to witness her most ambitious release with some of her best material ever?

This entire concept and direction that she had planned out... I think this could've been an ICONIC staple album era if Atlantic fully believed in her and the material and let her do her thing instead of continuously sidetracking and delaying it which obviously was for the worst in the end. It's a real shame because we're probably NEVER going to get something like that from her again. 

atlantic a flop wbk

12 minutes ago, playboy barbie said:

yall are forgetting charli's pink party room  because the xcx era did have some world building, the after the afterparty could potentially been followed by dywctmp esp with the latter set shown by some director

to me thats like the logical thing to assume  tbh  :hooker:

I think if the album hadn't of leaked Come To My Party would've been a single... We also know that it was reconsidered for the monthly drops and again just speculating but the Charli's House Party thing was only revealed in May 2018 (around the time of 5 In The Morning).

Just speculating but either that was old promotional material from the XCX album campaign that they planned on reusing for the 2018 Come To My Party release or that was new promotional material made for the single drops and unfortunately once 1999 took off and they decided to go ahead with the third album they just abandoned it?

i love how there's 70+ people in this thread just quietly hovering and waiting for something to leak, like vultures waiting to attack and feast on their prey :creep:

lABVyGE.png

4 minutes ago, sweetener said:

I'd loved to have witnessed it for sure, but realistically it wasn't a profitable venture for them... After The Afterparty bombed and then Boys (the restart of the era) failed to do what they wanted... So yeah, they would've been at a loss if they'd continued with the campaign, especially if they followed Charli's vision with all this ambitious shit planned. Who's gonna pay for it? People weren't into the singles and therefore they probably thought who's gonna buy the album and give us our money back?

2 minutes ago, Sucker said:

i love how there's 70+ people in this thread just quietly hovering and waiting for something to leak, like vultures waiting to attack and feast on their prey :creep:

1000Times is browsing too tho ?