Fluorine

Charli XCX

4 hours ago, abombnd said:

ok here a repost of what i posted previously hopefully it stays up lmfao

wish the instrumental of cry for you wasn't in awful quality

love the idea! but tbh i think filtering the instrumental would be better quality than this :deadbanana:not your fault though

8 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Rina is so ficking sexy UGH i love this song

we have a thread for that

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

So... Maybe I'm overestimating the concept of this era....

But since her comments about Beg For You (basically being the song that samples another which all female singers at Atlantic are expected to do) I feel as though everything about this era has been deliberate.

Launching the era with OUT OUT, it's very common that female pop stars have to some sort of smash hit before the label is willing to push ahead with an album cycle. And is it a coincidence that Charli and co. just happened to drop this track before the launch of her comeback single? It did the job, it went top 10.

Good Ones was the big shiny pop video, with the very current 80s trend throughout. Kind of debuted an image change from Charli (as we knew her in the last era), another thing female pop stars are expected to do. Everybody loves a comeback! The "iconic" video, the serves etc etc.

Then New Shapes, something a little more left field, still pop but feels more alternative? We know labels love to pivot when a single doesn't smash like they expected. And the inclusion of Chris and Caroline feels like the sort of alt pop pandering her label would do. Obviously we know they're her friends but keep in mind that this would be a concept.

Then we get Sweat, everybody loves a demo or unreleased track that doesn't make the final cut. Would a pop girl album rollout be complete without an orphaned single or abandoned track? Charli is no stranger to this when we look back at the 2016/2017 album rollout that eventually ground to a hault.

The album artwork itself, again a lot of pop stars have a cohesive vision when it comes to singles/videos etc. And somehow the album art tends to veer off into something that loosely ties in. I love the album cover and think it's one of Charli's best... But it's quite different to the single art we've been getting.

Then we have Baby, the rumoured 3rd single, the one that's been teased after a quiet period. We've been given a snippet of the music video and yet nothing? We all know record labels love to change their minds last minute when they think they could potentially have a hit with another song. ie. Beg For You. 

The song that was written for the artist and has a classic sample, screams hit. The sudden third single with last minute music video etc. Whilst Baby sits rotting away.

I could be reaching but it feels like this was Charli's intenion, to give us a condensed pop girl album campaign, and an authentic one at best, which details all the shit a female singer has to go through just to be able to release a body of work. And I am thoroughly enjoying the hypothetical chaos.