Fluorine

Charli XCX

20 minutes ago, xcxfan1 said:

does anyone know charli's true feelings about sucker? like was this album what her label wanted her to be or was sucker something charli truly made and wanted to be at the moment???

I used to avoid sucker but this album isnt even as bad as people on twitter used to act like it was.. its too nostalgic 

she initially started out with a more (pop)punk album (as you can hear from the outtakes and covers she was putting out at the time, like mow the lawn, can you please shut up, allergic to love) and was just working with patrik berger(?) in sweden(?) for a bit then she either got bored/changed her mind or the label didn’t want it and it got merged with the Sucker we know today. 

considering she thought whoever would be singing ‘break the rules’ was an idiot she obviously didn’t intend to go the route she went:rip:

18 minutes ago, xcxfan1 said:

does anyone know charli's true feelings about sucker? like was this album what her label wanted her to be or was sucker something charli truly made and wanted to be at the moment???

I used to avoid sucker but this album isnt even as bad as people on twitter used to act like it was.. its too nostalgic 

From what we know, Sucker was supposed to be more grunge-y (Allergic To Love, Mow That Lawn, Breaking Up, ...) but Atlantic wanted for it to be more teen pop influenced after the success of Boom Clap (Which I don't think was supposed to be on the album at first) so it's why pitch songs she made such as Break The Rules and Die Tonight ended up on it.

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

I don’t think grunge music was ever in the discussion :toofloppy: initially she made a straight up punk album in Sweden of short songs 1-3 minutes long- then she tried to merge it into pop with some bratty ye ye pop influences which again was scrapped(bar need ur luv) - then the album was in limbo with reported label meddling and then we have sucker which is overall half pop and half pop rock.

I do think it’s interesting that she did or still does hate break the rules though considering it’s one of the more faithful songs to the concept on there- it sounds like if aviici produced smells like teen spirit 

It’s also :biblio: interesting to note that she stated she was going to release the original punk songs as an EP but alas this never happened - some of the songs could have Marilyn Manson collabs too!

she stated this year further on brat that she could make further pop punk songs but doesn’t feel like they’d be good.

49 minutes ago, xcxfan1 said:

here's her talking about it a couple years back (timestamped)

tl;dr she liked making it, she hated it during Vroom Vroom times because it was too different from her then-current image, but now she loves it & the only song she doesn't like is Break the Rules

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

41 minutes ago, xcxfan1 said:

It's like a 2.9 out of 5 for me. I don't hate it, but it doesn't shine like her other bodies of work for me. Caught in the Middle, Break the Rules, Doing It, Body of My Own, Famous - those are the ones that I roll with the most. The rest I'm kinda neutral on.

36 minutes ago, XCX Archivist said:

boom clap is the reason that any of us knows who she is dont lie

I'd argue that the Fancy feature with Iggy might be a contender for the intro, honestly. I remember hearing that song WAY more on radio and it getting way more exposure than Boom Clap. Boom was big but at the same time I feel like it was a little bit of a flash in the pan by comparison? I feel like Fancy stuck around longer. Tumblr sad girls addicted to a tragic love story may have different opinions since it was a soundtrack song, but ymmv. Also I'm exempt from this statement as I've been a fan since TR days.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

6 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

some of the songs could have Marilyn Manson collabs too!

If he wasn't an absolute shit gibbon as well, this would have been awesome.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

29 minutes ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

Atlantic wanted for it to be more teen pop influenced after the success of Boom Clap (Which I don't think was supposed to be on the album at first)

yeah Boom Clap was a Hilary Duff pitch reject that she ended up submitting for Fault in Our Stars; I think it had to be edited to fit Sucker, and you can tell if you compare the synths between the soundtrack/film version vs. the music video/album mix

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

I mean she has started using break the rules in her tik toks and IGs so maybe she warmed up to it- nevertheless I don’t think she’ll be using guitars again anytime soon though I would like it.

The whole concept was essentially botched by the label 

charli release miami as a surprise with no warning challenge :true:

𝕭𝖆𝖇𝖞, 𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖘 𝖉𝖔𝖜𝖓 / 𝕿𝖊𝖑𝖑 𝖒𝖊, 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖞?

6 hours ago, XCX Archivist said:

um no??? tell me more

No shade but someone with Archivist in their username should know this :creep: she said she was going to drop a WeTransfer link full of tracks and then never did.

BzhmW.png

11 hours ago, XCX Archivist said:

boom clap is the reason that any of us knows who she is dont lie

25 minutes ago, drewby said:

No shade but someone with Archivist in their username should know this :creep: she said she was going to drop a WeTransfer link full of tracks and then never did.

Are you surprised