Fluorine

Charli XCX

Just a thought - how did Charli manage to release Vroom Vroom through Vroom Vroom Recordings and now only releases through Atlantic??

i think back then the label honestly didn't care that charli was releasing vroom vroom on her own because they really didn't think it would generate any profit. charli only started vroom vroom recordings because atlantic didn't want to release it. it was her first venture into PC music and i think to their surprise it did fairly well, so since then she's been able to release more PC influenced music with atlantic.

she also hasn't really had a chance to release anything with vroom vroom recordings; xcx3 before the leak was being treated as an album by the label so contractually she would have been required to release that with atlantic. and both n1a and pop2 were mixtapes and required minimal investment from atlantic whilst also keeping charli active and releasing new stuff without coming any closer to the end of her contract so i don't think it was a fight to release either of those.

Edited by lonely lonely night

Track 10 is my favorite, it’s sooo amazing. Also a theory- i think AG sampled every stem in the beginning of the song? like he plays each stem once to give you a heads up of what you’re about to experience in the song and omg that just makes me love it even more. He does it again before the 2nd outro (THE FACT THAT THERE’S 2 OUTROS BITCHHH!)

I’m pretty sure the intro’s mostly Lil Data... it sounds like his normal code-y stuff. Life Sim might be an alias for A. G. as well, though, and since the Life Sim part is probably just a sample, I feel like A. G. did at least one of the outros?

In Out Of My Head, Tove's voice is so bland and lifeless and just... plain, she really shouldn't have been given so much time on the track. Whereas Charli's voice has tons of character. Miss XCX truly saved it. Even her little "uh uh" at the end of the track gives me life. + Alma serves NOTHING 

I would really enjoy Tears if the fucking screams were replaced with Charli doing little adlibs in the background, echoing the lines with alternate melodies. I also strongly dislike the "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" part.

The screams are my fave part :defeated:

So far, the only Pop 2 track that I thoroughly like is Porsche, so I'm gonna keep playing Pop 2 in a loop until more tracks stick with me bccc this is unacceptable for a Charli release

That's only you then cause the whole mixcxtape is amazing and slightly better than N1A. The only song I usually skip is I Got It (but only because of those trashy features by Brooke and Pabllo)

Still, she says, she's currently "back and forth with emotions". She says she wants to be a pop star, and then that she wants to make a punk album. She revels in her meandering route to success, but goes on to say she hates the way her career has moved so slowly.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/24/charli-xcx-interview-boom-clap-panic-attacks

I don't think her wanting to be a pop star and then wanting to make a punk album is being "back and forth" with emotions/unstable with her mood, we've all had conflicting desires at one point. I also don't think the second sentence is contradictory. She revels in her meandering route to success because she got to do it her own way, but wouldn't you kinda hate your career being such a slowburn success, with everyone saying you're the next big thing but you're not going anywhere (until I love it and Fancy of course)? Idk I feel like this is nitpicking at this point.

Just to clarify what I meant with TR... You can tell lyrically that Charli put in a lot of effort into this album and I think it really impacted her that while she was praised critically, it didn't take off. I definitely think that album is the most personal of all her records. But she really has transitioned into how she writes now, which is focusing on hooks and topline.  

Ohh ok that makes a lot more sense, that's a really interesting view. "everyone saying you're the next big thing but you're not going anywhere (until I love it and Fancy of course)" I feel like that kind of goes with what you said. But at the same time, she's always maintained that it's about the quality of her music and not the sales. Even with Sucker, her most commercial album to date, she said "even if no one bought, I'd still be proud of it." We also have to take into account the state of music at the time. Deep, introspective, synthpop fit in really well with Charli's vibe. It was the right thing for her at the time and the product (True Romance) is timeless. Now, she writes for the effect of catchiness, which she excels at. Do you feel like her writing style now is because of her lack of success with TR? 

if someone knows how to do it and wants to make a timeline of all Charli interviews that would be really cool

Can we please get years for the stuff that’s leaked this year. I have no idea where to put Teenage Kicks, High on Helium etc.

Can you link me to High on Helium? :creep:

Teenage Kicks & the other recent leaks don’t have producers / aren’t on Genius, right? cuz that’s just a guessing game if not...my “Time Off” file said 2011, which sounds about right for a demo like that. “Teenage Kicks” sounds like it was written to be given away, though, for sure.