Fluorine

Charli XCX

am i going insane or did charli have an album before sucker that she scrapped? i remember in 2013 there was an indication that her second album was going to be very superlove (it was the lead single at the time) but then the words "bow wow wow" started falling out of her mouth every 10 seconds and sucker happened. google reveals nothing to me, was there a direction change for her second album as i remember or am i off my rocker?

am i going insane or did charli have an album before sucker that she scrapped? i remember in 2013 there was an indication that her second album was going to be very superlove (it was the lead single at the time) but then the words "bow wow wow" started falling out of her mouth every 10 seconds and sucker happened. google reveals nothing to me, was there a direction change for her second album as i remember or am i off my rocker?

I actually found an interview about this a few days ago! Here's the post I made about it

I'm pretty sure there was a change in direction :/ which is a shame because Superlove really is a bop

Some people on here tend to think it was a record label manipulation, like if they made her scrap her old album, but Charli's always maintained that she will always have a say in the direction her music goes, and that it's not a product of her record label.

The only thing I can think of that could've changed her sound so drastically is the frustration that came with her success leading to the punk album she made in Sweden with Patrik Berger.

There's also her frequent mention of "french ye-ye pop" and artists like France Gal and Brigitte Bardot but I haven't listened to their music enough to judge how it could've impacted the rework of Sucker, and I also don't have enough of a grasp on the timeline of events to have an informed opinion.

The unexpected success of Boom Clap, according to Charli, is why Sucker was delayed a couple months but I don't understand that. That seems to be why people say "the label made her redo Sucker to fit their agenda!!!1!1!" but that theory doesn't sit well with the fact that the Punk album happened before the delay.  

EDIT: I just found an interview that affirms what I said about the punk album 

“It morphed into a new thing,” she reveals. “There are elements of punk on this pop record that I’m making. A couple of songs that were originally on that punk record are on the album. I want to release an EP of the super punk shit that I did. It hasn’t gone away completely or anything, and I transferred a lot of it over to the main record.”

EDIT #2: I was making a punk album! I was over the music industry, I was over all of it. And I went to Sweden and made a punk album,” she recently told Pop Justice. But now, “I’ve made a pop record. I think it’ll be completely finished by the end of July, I’m not doing any more writing sessions now.” She listed the collaborators on the pop project — “Weezer, Rostam from Vampire Weekend, Stargate, John Hill… I did a session with [Dr.] Luke but that wasn’t for me” — and affirmed that she hopes to release the album she made in Sweden later on. So, maybe we’ll get two, allegedly very different Charli XCX albums this year? source

Now I see why everyone wants the punk songs, she said she hoped to release the punk album, then said she wants to release an EP, and then never mentioned the punk songs again. I really want more demos from the sucker era to leak (things like Girls Thinking Bout Boys, Light It Up, etc. she has SO many gems we haven't heard!)

this part of Taxi still rips my hair out 

NIGHTCLUB ON A FRIDAY, GOT MY GUCCI ON

F-F-F-FLYING SOLO, YES I'M IN THE ZONE

YOU'RE COMING AT ME LIKE A PLAYER, BUT YOUR GAME'S ALL WRONG

YOU GOT YOUR WORDS ALL TWISTED, IT'S THE SAME OLD SONG... HEY!

ugh I cannot wait until the studio leaks cause it sounds even better

I actually found an interview about this a few days ago! Here's the post I made about it

I'm pretty sure there was a change in direction :/ which is a shame because Superlove really is a bop

Some people on here tend to think it was a record label manipulation, like if they made her scrap her old album, but Charli's always maintained that she will always have a say in the direction her music goes, and that it's not a product of her record label.

The only thing I can think of that could've changed her sound so drastically is the frustration that came with her success leading to the punk album she made in Sweden with Patrik Berger.

There's also her frequent mention of "french ye-ye pop" and artists like France Gal and Brigitte Bardot but I haven't listened to their music enough to judge how it could've impacted the rework of Sucker, and I also don't have enough of a grasp on the timeline of events to have an informed opinion.

The unexpected success of Boom Clap, according to Charli, is why Sucker was delayed a couple months but I don't understand that. That seems to be why people say "the label made her redo Sucker to fit their agenda!!!1!1!" but that theory doesn't sit well with the fact that the Punk album happened before the delay.  

EDIT: I just found an interview that affirms what I said about the punk album 

“It morphed into a new thing,” she reveals. “There are elements of punk on this pop record that I’m making. A couple of songs that were originally on that punk record are on the album. I want to release an EP of the super punk shit that I did. It hasn’t gone away completely or anything, and I transferred a lot of it over to the main record.”

i forgot about the "punk" album for a minute there lol. i feel like the superlove album probably evolved into the punk album (out of frustration, as she's said) and then she met back in the middle for sucker. i still don't believe that they delayed the album due to the success of boom clap, that makes absolutely zero sense. if the song was doing well, logically they would have rushed the album release if anything so they could strike while the iron was hot. a rework of the album due to boom clap's success does sound the most likely.

there was one other song besides superlove i had in my itunes library at the time that i think was intended for the superlove album, i can't remember what it was though.

Superlove is such an anthem.

It was my favourite Charli's song for a long time.

tumblr_o3fp55RMaK1v58zjoo1_500.gif

I'd love to hear an album with more songs like this.

:defeated:

Superlove was actually the first Charli song I fell in love with! I'm pretty sure I had seen her perform Fancy on Dancing With The Stars beforehand (I thought she sounded like shit and really disliked her) but her name never stuck with me. I was listening to a radio based on something by Ryn Weaver (probably Octahate but her debut album was one of my 2015 summer albums) and Superlove came on! I was like holy shit this is amazing! I decided to look into her other music and I've been a fan ever since

i forgot about the "punk" album for a minute there lol. i feel like the superlove album probably evolved into the punk album (out of frustration, as she's said) and then she met back in the middle for sucker. i still don't believe that they delayed the album due to the success of boom clap, that makes absolutely zero sense. if the song was doing well, logically they would have rushed the album release if anything so they could strike while the iron was hot. a rework of the album due to boom clap's success does sound the most likely.

there was one other song besides superlove i had in my itunes library at the time that i think was intended for the superlove album, i can't remember what it was though.

The delay theory doesn't add up for me. You're telling me that throughout the entire process of making Sucker, the last couple months was enough to change the entire course of the album?

Sucker was a culmination of Charli's frustration. Superlove predates all of that. Then the frustration created the punk album. After letting her frustration out, she came back to Pop and the result was Pop-Punk album Sucker. There's no way that Sucker would've sounded like Superlove with the Punk album being created. The change in sound wasn't a result of the Boom Clap delay. 

There are parts of the process of deciding on a release date for a major record label album that we know nothing about, and I doubt it's as simple as "striking while the iron is hot."

he didn't even mention Porsche....bye

he didn't mention Porsche? Thanks for saving me time I would've wasted on watching that review!

The delay theory doesn't add up for me. You're telling me that throughout the entire process of making Sucker, the last couple months was enough to change the entire course of the album?

Sucker was a culmination of Charli's frustration. Superlove predates all of that. Then the frustration created the punk album. After letting her frustration out, she came back to Pop and the result was Pop-Punk album Sucker. There's no way that Sucker would've sounded like Superlove with the Punk album being created. The change in sound wasn't a result of the Boom Clap delay. 

There are parts of the process of deciding on a release date for a major record label album that we know nothing about, and I doubt it's as simple as "striking while the iron is hot."

what i meant is that charli recorded superlove as the lead single for her second album, but its direction changed shortly after superlove's release into something more punk inspired. it's important to note that boom clap was actually cut from true romance and then offered to another artist (hilary duff, legend) before it was finally released on the fault in our stars soundtrack. so at the time of boom clap's release charli probably had no intention of having it on her album, but its enormous success probably caused the label to ask her to rework the punk album into something a bit more dialed down and accessible so they could throw boom clap on it and still have it sound cohesive. so no, i'm not saying she redid the entire album in a few months (which is not a stretch by the way, she recorded an entire album in one day). i simply think it underwent a lot of changes and the reason it was delayed following boom clap's success was probably to rework the already nearly finished album into something a little less punk.

also what sense does it make to delay an album until a song has fallen on the charts? the entire point of singles is to create buzz for an album. why would they wait until charli had lost some of her momentum from boom clap? it's a silly excuse if you ask me